“Appalling - Turned Up - They Didn't Have Our Booking After Email Confirmation”
Review of Pearson Park Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kingston-upon-Hull
Pearson Park Hotel
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Kingston-upon-Hull
London, United Kingdom
“Appalling - Turned Up - They Didn't Have Our Booking After Email Confirmation”
Reviewed 20 November 2010

I booked a room for my family two months in advance and for email confirmation. When we turned up, they didn't have the booking - I had the email confirmation with the correct date, but they had booked us in on the system for the month before. There were no rooms available! Sorry! Yeah right, they found a room for us in a hotel in town renowned for the "ladies of the night" - we didn't take them up on it after visiting it as it was very unsuitable for a family - and ended up driving the 200 miles back home on the same day after a family event. All the room in other hotels in Hull were fully booked with ‘darts’ event!

Ruined our weekend - totally shambolic hotel and response - and wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
zachariahpearson, Owner at Pearson Park Hotel, responded to this review, 8 December 2011
A thousand apologies! Sometimes we just have to hold our hands up and say sorry - even if it doesn't help at the time. A simple human error was the reason we didn't have your booking in the right place - we've updated our procedures to try and ensure it doesn't happen again. The lady who originally handled your reservation was absolutely mortified once she realised what she'd done - but the team have learned from the experience and I'd like to thank you for taking the time to comment.

We also didn't know about your experience at the hotel we found for you either - maybe that was why they had rooms at a very busy time in the City and we were full - we'll take it on board. Thanks again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Leeds
Reviewed 20 November 2010

The guy on reception couldn't have been nicer (he was the only member of staff we saw) but the whole place is a rabbit warren and the long corridors are a bit shabby. The rooms both smelt as if someone had been smoking in them recently and the bathrooms are just not what you expect these days. There were a couple of electrical fittings which looked very dodgy. We wanted to be out of the centre of Hull towards the university as we were visiting a student there and it's a great location on a nice park. We paid £55 a double room. The bed was quite comfortable and there was no noise from outside; we slept pretty well.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank NicoLeeds
Hamilton Scotland
Reviewed 11 October 2010

It was my parents 65th wedding anniversary, and my wife and I travelled down to Hull for a week to see them and take them for an evening meal in the hotel. On Monday morning 4th October 2010 we walked through the park to the hotel to view the menu to see if it would suit our elderly parents.We were met by a male (the owner?) and he showed us the menu which suited, so we booked a table for 5 people for 6pm Friday 8th October. We turned up just before 6pm and was met by a girl at the reception desk and another female worker who said they didnt know we had booked and that the chef didnt start work until 7pm-we were asked if we wanted a sandwich!!!! I asked who the male person was who we booked with and they said they didnt know who it was.we wakked out very upset and dissapointed in the amateur way they try to run a business.

Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tyl1er

Travellers are raving about these Kingston-upon-Hull hotels

Ireland
Reviewed 8 September 2010

Me and my partner stayed here for one night whilst attending a function in the hotel. Unfortunately, aside from the pleasantness and helpfulness of the staff, it is difficult to find anything else positive to write about.

On entering the hotel, the friendly greeting was somewhat overshadowed by the musty/damp smell which hung in the air around the whole hotel. Our room was really a bit of a disgrace. The bed hadn't been made properly, the cistern on the toilet came away from the wall when flushing it, the fixtures and fittings in general were in a very shabby state indeed, there was no shower, no remote control for the televsion (ok, perhaps laziness got the better of me), and although I wouldn't go so far as to say the room was unclean, it could certainly have benefited from a good scrub down from top to bottom.

The room in which the function was held, was perfectly suitable for event, and again, I stress that staff were helpful in assisting us to set up the room as we wanted and provided everything we needed, however, the musty/damp smell was so bad we actually went out and bought an air freshener. The buffet that was provided was ample, however I was a bit concerned when one of the staff told me that it had been prepared that morning. Hardly fresh then, considering it had been sitting around until 8pm.

The general location of the hotel is not particularly pleasant, although the hotel website extols its virtues as a 'magical setting' for a red carpet setting. Wouldn't be my cup of tea for the big day.....

Shame really. Some basic attention could make a big difference

Would I stay there again? On the whole, I'd say not.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jhough100
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2010

I stayed here for 2 nights with my two kids in a "family room". The family room had a double bed and a bed settee (the arms of which were filthy). The room was dark and the floor very uneven and was a bit musty (like all of the hotel). The bathroom was not good, the shower above the bath, looked like it was from the 50's and looked so bad we never even tried it, the bath was clean and functional, but there had clearly been a leak in the bathroom, which had been badly fixed as the floor was very patched up. Breakfast was good, as was the location. We stayed above a function room was proved to be very noisy (not good with young kids). I also lost count of the number of drinks I had with old lipstick marks around the tops of the classes and cups at breakfast....poor.This hotel needs a revamp, but to be honest you could throw 250k at this place and not notice any difference.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Mayo71
Glasgow
Reviewed 27 June 2010

This is the third time I've stayed at the Pearson Park Hotel (not through choice, I should stress). First, the positives: the situation of the hotel, overlooking a popular park, is nice. The staff are pleasant. The breakfast is OK. Unfortunately, that's about it. The rooms vary in size, and I lucked out once by getting the four-poster room (which is large and light), but each time the accommodation has been grubby, the cheap lino in the bathroom iffy, discoloured and chipped (staple-gunned to the floor in one room I was in), the sanitary ware ancient, the decoration tired, the pillows stained. There were cobwebs in each room, woodwork needed washing, soft furnishings cleaning, and there was a very nasty smell indeed emanating from the drains of the bathroom of the four-poster room (with perhaps not unrelated warnings about the capabilities of the macerator loo posted above it). The bar tables and reception counter are sticky, the dining area dark, and whole place just very tired-looking. Someone could make this into a really nice boutique hotel, but they'd need to gut it, and start again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank lofgjarn
Gateshead
Reviewed 21 March 2009

Stayed one night and as the title says, ok for a cheap stay! We had a large party so were charged £58 B&B per person.... would not want to pay any more, average hotel.. well dated and the decor was showing that, my particular room was "suitable" en suite with a shower above the bath, albeit it was not a very good one. It was clean and comfy although colleagues inother rooms were not as kind as they found it to be dirty in some rooms. Breakfast was "average" The staff were freindly especially Lee on the reception. Had a meal at the night time again nothing to write home about.
Location looks good when you first arrive, the hotel looks out onto a park area... however locals did warn us not to stray into the park at night time, apperently not a desireable area.
The Bar area was cosy though the prices not very competitive, alas not many people stay in for a drink.
We have further occassions where we will stay in Hull, but have already said it will not be back at this location.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
zachariahpearson, Owner at Pearson Park Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2011
Thanks for the feedback - it's always handy to know how clients really feel even after they have checked out saying everytjing was fine. Honest opinions are vital and I'm grateful you took the time and trouble to log on, sign in and comment. I'll certainly study your review to see what I can learn from it going forward into the future.

Thanks once again.