“Overall good value for money”
Review of Gilson Hotel

Gilson Hotel
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Kingston-upon-Hull
“Overall good value for money”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Very friendly staff and management, The night receptionist Louis was very helpful nothing was to much for him and he was also very polite.. Nice atmosphere. Pefect location right near the shops. The beds was really comfortable.
The drinks at the bar were also very cheap
Will definitely returning very soon pefect hotel to stay in!!!

• Stayed August 2013
Manuel P, Director of Sales at Gilson Hotel, responded to this review, 26 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Gilson Hotel.

A special Thank you on behalf of Louis and all my staff, they always try to deliver best service to all our Guests.
I firmly believe that looking after our Guests is priority and have instructed them, as minimum requirement, to exceed guests expectations.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I am very much looking forward to welcoming you back here in future.

Sales & Rooms Division Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Friendly and polite personnel. Little bit dated interiors. Quite big room and nice bathroom. Breakfast very poor. Bed really uncomfotable with mattress full of stains. Very loud music during saturday night - probably some party downstairs. Door key didnt worked properly.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank catgut666
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen Gilson Hotel for you stay in Hull.

I am terribly sorry for the inconvenience with the mattress, please accept my most sincere apologies.
I would like to thank you for making me aware of the situation. As soon as received the information I have informed housekeeping to urgently replace the mattress with a brand new one.

Rest assured that I take such issues with utmost seriousness and a budget has been already allocated for this purpose.

We have just completed the exterior refurbishment of the Hotel and in the next few months we will also start with all our rooms.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly in case you would like to discus further the matter, I would be pleased to look after you for any future reference.

Sales & Rooms Division Director

Travellers are raving about these Kingston-upon-Hull hotels

Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We booked a family room for a 1 night stay at the gilson hotel on 12th august 2013 , bit dubious about some of the reviews about it but we went ahead and booked it , so wish we had never !...Day started off good as we arrived early and the room was ready so we could go straight up with our bags , the hotel looks good in the lobby , the bar and breakfast area were nice and clean .The room (132) was really shabby , stains running down the wall , the base of one of the double beds was absolutely filthy and the floorboards wow !!! never heard a floor make so much noise ..into the bathroom , nice big window , no blind or curtain then pulled the shower curtain back and the baths enamel was getting covered in rust spots ( totally unacceptable ) kids wanted a bath but had to do with a shower of a trickle of luke warm running water .We turned in for the night about midnight after a few drinks in the bar which we enjoyed , then at 12-30 the noise was unbelievable , people running about in the room above us the floorboards bang bang bang , this went on until 4 am ...I don't think it was guests in the upstairs room , it was either staff or family of the owners of the hotel. we got to sleep after 4am and it started all over again at 6am .Went down to breakfast totally shattered after 8am and greeted by a silent waitress , didn't even speak just wanted us to eat our food and go so she could tidy our table up and get finished .Went down to check out and waited 15 minutes at the desk , constantly ringing the bell still no one came so we left the key behind the desk and left for home , drained and shattered ...go back to hull ? deffo ....back to this hotel ...never . In my honest opinion this hotel is no more than a overnight doss house for passing through workmen.

Room Tip: Room 132 ???? if your a insomniac go for it !
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank ian975
Manuel P, Director of Sales at Gilson Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving your detailed review on Tripadvisor. I am very disappointed to read that your stay has not been to your satisfaction. Please accept my apologies.

It is clear that there has been a mistake when allocating your room and in fact according to the system the room you have been given was listed as to be refurbished (this was already scheduled). I have seen the bathtub and I am aware of the tiny rust spots as you reported, thank you for pointing this out and I am really sorry for that.

Concerning the noises coming from the second floor it is difficult for us to assess exactly where these were coming from, apparently no complaint has been made by you throughout that night,
as per our Night Log Sheet, therefore I believe no assistance was requested.
The Night Auditor has successfully completed security checks on all floors 3 times throughout that night and nothing was reported to me. I can also confirm that on that night there were no family members of the owners staying in house so I am surprised to read such a direct accusation.

After further investigation, it is true that our Reception has been unmanned for exactly 6 minutes that morning due to personal reasons and I am afraid that we do have only one Receptionist at a time on duty.

My team and I work hard to deliver excellent quality and service at all time and I must reiterate my apologies again for the fact that we failed to do so on this occasion.

Norfolk
Reviewed 30 July 2013

This hotel is situated on a very busy noisy corner with ambulances zooming by with sirens blaring and a Merchant Navy club adjoining the hotel. We stayed when the weather was very hot and there is no air conditioning in the bedrooms so we had to have the window wide open to let some fresh air in. We thought we would get no sleep but thankfully everything quietened down before midnight.On the plus side, the hotel is within easy walking distance of the train station and the main shopping. The bedroom was a good size, clean, but with worn furnishings although the bathroom looked newly refurbished. The breakfast room was clean and inviting and air-conditioned and the continental breakfast was very nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main road.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving a kind review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I do apologise for the noises, but this is something that is unfortunately out of my control; I would probably recommend a room at the back of the hotel if available.

I am very much looking forward to welcoming you back here for your future stay in Hull.
Should there be anything we might do for you on your next visit please do not hesitate to contact me directly or any member of my team at any time.

Sheffield
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Perfect location as we came on the train, 5 minutes from the hotel and the shops and bars are a few minutes away. The girl on the reception was friendly and when we asked for directions was happy to advise. Our room (2 twins) were clean although not fussy but I prefer that anyway, brand new bathroom, tea coffee facilities. The breakfast although continental offered plenty of choice and you could eat as much as you wished. The breakfast staff were also friendly. MY only moan would be that the room was hot but it was 80 degrees on the 13th July 13. I would recommend and would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Gilson Hotel.

As you probably have noticed we are refurbishing all our rooms and we have recently upgraded our Bar Area with new great features such as Sky Sport.

huddersfield
Reviewed 25 June 2013

terrible stayed here for a weekend break last year it was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in I did not think it would be allowed in this country to let out rooms in such bad condition ibis hotel over the road much better and very clean .

Room Tip: don't go
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Manuel P, Director of Sales at Gilson Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Dear Guest,

I am well sorry to hear that on 2012, when you have last stayed with us, you were disappointed with your stay at Gilson Hotel.
I would like to assure you that our standards have radically changed since and we try our best to meet all our guests' expectations.

I treat all feedback with utmost seriousness and please accept our apologies if we did not meet your standards and or expectations on that occasion.

Crediton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I stayed here alone on Saturday 8th June 2013. And was pleasantly surprised.
My single room cost £27 b&b, and was very clean and spacious. The bathroom was very large, and well appointed.And the staff were very helpful.
My only problem was that there is virtually no parking on the weekend, and the city center car parks were very expensive. Also my room was quite hot...But most 3 star hotels don't have air con. So its not their fault.
The location of the hotel was perfect for the train station, and shopping etc.
Overall I rate this hotel very highly. (I cannot rate the breakfast, as I had to leave early)

Room Tip: Search online for car parking before you travel. And don't overstay on your roadside tickets. As...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank devmike

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Gilson Hotel.

It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay, and I am glad that you had a pleasant experience with us, your room & our great location.
We are trying our very best to provide excellent customer service at all time and I am happy to hear that you found our staff very helpful.

As you probably have noticed we are refurbishing all our rooms and we are very looking forward to welcoming you back here for your future stays in Hull.