“Nice hotel”
Review of Gilson Hotel

Gilson Hotel
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Kingston-upon-Hull
Reviewed 3 February 2014

The service in this hotel is exellent. The location is good and it is near to train station and tesco. It is quite and I have a good sleep. There are a lot of restaurant around the hotel. It is convinient.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Manuel P, Director of Sales at Gilson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen Gilson Hotel for you stay in Hull.

We are all pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are looking forward to welcoming you here again and should there be anything we might do for you on your next stay please do not hesitate to contact us prior to your arrival, we will certainly do our very best to look after you!

Pannu M.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

I had a meeting in Hull first thing on Monday, and decided to drive down the night before. I was looking for somewhere very cheap, and the Gilson was the best deal on laterooms.com. The location is perfect - 2 minutes from the train station and the main part of the city. I had very low expectations because of the price, but it was fine - staff were helpful, room was clean and a reasonable size, breakfast was nice. The hotel website stresses that the free parking is first come, first served, and I can imagine it fills quickly.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will certainly pass this onto the rest of the Team.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

We went for a wedding venue rubbish food for the money.
Got told car park had cameras but wasnt on my audi a6 63 plate and in the morning it was all keyed down one side would never ever visit again. We did more of our own food that they suppied , the dj was rubbish wasnt even loud music and didnt have many songs to choose from. We waited an hour for our breakfast in the morning which when it did come the eggs was well under cooked and still snotty :( just an awfull stay

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Le11ghx
Manuel P, Director of Sales at Gilson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We treat all our comments with utmost seriousness and we will be investigating your issues accordingly.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

We stayed here the night before my daughters graduation, the beds were very comfy and the bathroom was much larger than we expected. We stayed in a triple room and we were very impressed with the size of the room for the money. The breakfast was fantastic and we had to check out an hour and a half later than expected due to our daughters graduation service running over but the staff did not penalise us for this. It was in a great location as the town hall is only a five minute walk away as is st stephens shopping centre. If we are ever in hull again, we will definitely be staying in the gilson hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 28 January 2014

My daughter and I stayed overnight prior to a visit to the University. We parked right at the front door for free which was a wonderful start. The Hotel was clean in appearance and the reception staff lovely and friendly and local. Nothing was too much trouble and they could answer any questions we had. We stayed in room 123 and it was very clean and comfortable with a lovely bathroom. Even being on the front we had a peaceful night. I visited the bar for wine and the barman was also a really friendly and local man and nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast we paid for continental and it was great and the staff (barman included) were again welcoming. The staff make this hotel - their customer service is something they should be proud of. Thanks for a great stay and if my daughter chooses Hull to study we will 100% be using you a lot.

Room Tip: Ask the staff for recommendation for your specific requirements.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank pennypony30

Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

This hotel is in a great central location situated less than a two minute walk from the train station. Although the price doesn't include breakfast, the breakfasts are reasonably priced and the choice of food is sufficient. I was surprised to find out upon arrival that the bar was 24 hours and we had free wifi and parking.

I cannot commend the staff enough. Each member of staff I came into contact with was extremely welcoming, friendly and helpful. On our first morning during breakfast we were told by the lady who was on the breakfast shift both mornings of our stay that as we had booked our visit before Christmas, our continental breakfast should be free as this was an offer they had on at the time. We hadn't known about this offer and so was a great surprise and we appreciated her taking it upon herself to check the date of our booking and let us know. Then that night after my friend and I returned back to the hotel from a wedding I was dying for a cup of tea but we had no milk left in our room. When I told the gentleman on reception he was more than happy to go and hunt some down for me despite the hour which was really kind.

My only complaint would be that of the fire drill which took place on Sunday after we had checked out and were killing some time in the bar before going to catch a train. We were not warned it would happen despite the fact it was quite clearly a drill as the staff who hurried us outside were already wearing coats, hi-visibility jackets and had umbrellas in their hands. We were quite briskly shepherded out into the wind and rain - leaving drinks we had bought - with not so much as an apology or even a farewell. Luckily we had less than an hour left to wait before our train so waited in the station instead.

On the whole though, an enjoyable stay. The hotel is basic but met our needs and thanks to the staff, is a nice place to stay. Would return to the Gilson if ever in Hull again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 January 2014

I stayed in room 315 which smelled very badly of mould, the ceiling had four large patches of discolouration from damp and I was awoken by the sound of dripping inside the room (although I could not locate the source). The bed linen smelled of mould too. Bathroom was fairly clean. However the walls were incredibly thin and the clientele very noisy with one group of rowdy men next door, sounding as though they were breaking through the wall. Cheap but not cheerful.

• Stayed: January 2014