“OK” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Kingston-upon-Hull
Montpellier, France
“OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Overall it was OK. I stayed 2 nights there for business. The hotel needs a makeover but it wasn't dirty. Very nice and helpful staff. No privacy at all, you could hear people coming in and out at all hours, and even your next door neighbour peeing at 2am... There was a very strong old plumbing/musty smell coming from the bathroom that had permeated the entire room. But everything was clean. I chose this hotel because it was right next to the train station. So if you're looking for a good standard, cheap, and clean hotel well situated in Hull I recommend it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Manuel P, Director of Sales at Gilson Hotel, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I do apologise for the noises, this is something that unfortunately is out of my control; I would probably recommend a room at the back of the hotel if available.
I am also very sorry for the smell coming from your bathroom, please rest assured the issue has been immediately addressed and surely not reflecting onto our standards.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back here in future and should there be anything we might do for you on your next visit please do not hesitate to contact me directly or any member of my team at any time.

Sales & Rooms Division Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Rossendale, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

The Hotel is very well situated in the centre of Hull. For the price paid for the night (£29) for a double room, I was pleasantly surprised at the room I got. As I was working, I had my computer and printer with me. I asked for a room with a desk and got a mini-suite with a small living area, a separate bedroom and bathroom. I spent a quite night in a reasonably comfortable bed and managed a lot of work at the large desk that was in the living area. The free WiFi worked well and the staff were friendly and helpful with my large amount of luggage. Although this was not the Ritz, it was not the Ritz price either. One of the best bargains I have had. The only downer? I couldn't figure out how to get the scalding hot water from the tap to the shower head, so ended up with a tepid shower. For the price, I can recommend this Hotel

Room Tip: Ask for what you want in advance. For the price this Hotel should be full but its not.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Gilson Hotel.

We are looking forward to welcoming you here again and should there be anything we might do for you on your next stay please do not hesitate to contact us prior to your arrival, we will certainly do our very best to look after you!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Just came back from hull a group of 33 on a stag do April 19th and can honestly say we had no complaints our stay at the Gilson yes it's basic but for the money you can't complain rooms are ok showers are very nice it's got a great bar with cheap prices and breakfast was nice the 3 young ladies worked there socks as we drank the bar!!!the guy on reception was cheerful and helpful I've stopped at campanile many times but no more as the Gilson will be the place from now on I would recommend this hotel

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Ian,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will certainly pass this onto the rest of the Team.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back here again in future and please do not hesitate to contact me directly at any time, I would be pleased to look after you.

Sales & Rooms Director
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

I know this hotel is a cheaper option, but we still paid £94 for two terrible nights!
When we entered the hotel, the reception staff didn't greet us, they just stared at us until we spoke, then when we were given our key to our room we chose to walk up the stairs - which is a death trap in itself, many of the stair strips are very loose and dangerous - personally i think this is a unnecessary hazard and could be fixed easily by replacing some missing screws.
When we entered our room the smell of damp and mould hit us very hard - after looking around the outer walls were all mouldy and the bathroom ceiling was very mouldy! Besides the mould, the shower head was furred up - but the room was otherwise fairly clean.
The bed we were given was badly bowed in the middle - it was clearly very old, though the Asda pillows weren't too bad in the grand scheme of things.
Ive never stayed in a hotel where theres no real housekeeping between days stayed, we came back on the second day to the same dirty cups, no new spoons/tea/coffee/milk or toilet roll. We asked for some toilet roll and was told someone would bring some up.. over three hours later a woman knocked on our door and asked if there was "owt we wanted?" she was oblivious to the fact wed already asked for toilet roll, she had no clean cups, no new plastic spoons and just left us with a handfull of milk pods and a toilet roll.
I know its a city centre hotel, but surely you shouldnt be able to hear every word said outside on the pavement when youre 3 floors up? The windows may have well been removed.
Lastly, we were disturbed 3 times by maintenance men "installing a new phone" which had already been done, two of the times was by the same man!
Again i stress that im aware that this is a low budget hotel, but our stay was awful, we will definitely pay the additional parking for the travelodge if we were to come back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Manuel P, Director of Sales at Gilson Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We treat all our comments with utmost seriousness and we will be investigating your issues accordingly.

Sales & Rooms Division Director

Travellers are raving about these Kingston-upon-Hull hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

I stayed in the Gilson it's under new management and they are doing a great turnaround with the place on looking at previous comments it's vastly improved!!!

Samantha on reception was excellent and is an absolute credit to the establishment!!

Well worth a try!!!

It gets five ticks from me.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back here again soon.

Sales & Rooms Director
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a family room (2adults and 2 children) for one night as we decided to visit the deep and make a night of it and explore this part of Yorkshire. The room was cheap granted compared to competitors but I really wished id paid for the others as we had a dreadful night in the gilson.
The room was dark red and really dingy (it felt like a prostitutes quarters) the decor was dated and tired and it didn't feel clean. Stains on walls on window sills and towels. Thankfully the sheets were clean! The beds were not at all comfortable and my children had to share a double (family room had 2 doubles). The floors were soooo creaky!! Every move made in the room abive and to either side was audible! Which was rather unfortunate as there were several times in the night where extremely loud sex noises occurred from the room above! ! It seemed to go on relentlessly and woke up my children which was awkward to say the least! Tell tale sign upon checkout - weren't adked if had a good night...they are probably fed up of dealing with compliants. Didnt stay for breakfast. Came home as we were all shattered from the night's goings on! Not a hotel for the faint hearted! (Or kids!). Location very central = redeeming feature. But not much to do or see in Hull that we were tempted by! Sorry.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mimbisrm
Manuel P, Director of Sales at Gilson Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We treat all our comments with utmost seriousness and we have investigated your issues accordingly.

I am astonished to read such an offensive review. It is clear that you did not enjoy your stay with us and possibly were expecting something more or different. No issues have been anyway raised throughout your stay so we have not been given the chance to take any remedial action.

We are hosting more then 30.000 guests (30% families) every year and our Standards are now quite solid. As far as the noises throughout the night are concerned having worked in different hotels I can certainly confirm that this is something that do affect most of the properties.
Our Night Auditors perform every night 3 Security Floor Checks to make sure the situation is kept under control at all time. I am really sorry to hear that you have been disturbed during the night and your stay has been spoilt due to this.

Once again thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review and I will make sure to pass it over to everyone working hard here at Gilson Hotel.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

It's a very ugly hotel on the outside (garish pink and very dated). Inside, the decor is pretty old fashioned too, but it's very well situated close to some amazing old Hull buildings, and just seconds from the station.
I paid £35 for a very good sized double room which was totally clean, fairly basic and with a bed which could do with an overhaul, but a good, flat screen tv, totally free wifi (a real boon) and an en suite with a proper bath and plenty of towels.
The room was very hot, but if you open the window (there's a way of opening it beyond the tiny bit it opens when on the latch), it cools down quickly.
I slept very well and found the staff friendly and helpful (as I found most people I met in Hull - far more so than most cities). Checking out time is a very decent 12 noon, and even though it was nearly one pm when I returned to take my bags, they didn't mind, which I thought very decent of them.
The carpets and furniture are indeed as old fashioned as the old Cecil bingo opposite, but I'd be very happy to stay there again and its positioning is excellent. There's also free parking on the forecourt outside.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dear Neil,

Thank you on behalf of everyone working here at Gilson Hotel for your fair and positive review.
We are aware of the issues present in the hotel and rest assured that we are working hard to get all of them resolved.

We are looking forward to welcoming you here again and should there be anything we might do for you on your next stay please do not hesitate to let us know, we will certainly do our very best to look after you!