“Great value for money” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Kingston-upon-Hull
Hull, England, United Kingdom
“Great value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the hotel on bank holiday Monday, and found our check in very quick. The staff were very friendly, and more than happy to answer our many questions and requests. The room was quite clean, and very large for the size. We stayed in a Family room which cost us £60 for the four of us, which we found to be great value for money. We had two double beds with a TV and a reasonably sized living area with a desk. The bathroom was clean, and recently refurbished. The only thing we didn't like about the hotel was the garish pink on the exterior of the building. Overall we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely recommend it. We will visit again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Manuel P, Director of Sales at Gilson Hotel, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear Harry,

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will certainly pass this onto the rest of the Team.
I am very much looking forward to welcoming you back here again in future.

Sales & Rooms Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

I stayed here for one night and thank god it wasn't longer! Its dirty and the noise from other rooms is awful. No cold water so you can't get a glass to cool down. Its far too hot and the beds are hard and have lice. It was just awful. Don't stay here its a health risk!

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank gfyuhg
Manuel P, Director of Sales at Gilson Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We treat all our comments with utmost seriousness and we will investigate your issues accordingly.

Sales & Rooms Director

Travellers are raving about these Kingston-upon-Hull hotels

Montpellier, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Overall it was OK. I stayed 2 nights there for business. The hotel needs a makeover but it wasn't dirty. Very nice and helpful staff. No privacy at all, you could hear people coming in and out at all hours, and even your next door neighbour peeing at 2am... There was a very strong old plumbing/musty smell coming from the bathroom that had permeated the entire room. But everything was clean. I chose this hotel because it was right next to the train station. So if you're looking for a good standard, cheap, and clean hotel well situated in Hull I recommend it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I do apologise for the noises, this is something that unfortunately is out of my control; I would probably recommend a room at the back of the hotel if available.
I am also very sorry for the smell coming from your bathroom, please rest assured the issue has been immediately addressed and surely not reflecting onto our standards.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back here in future and should there be anything we might do for you on your next visit please do not hesitate to contact me directly or any member of my team at any time.

Pannu M.
Rossendale, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

The Hotel is very well situated in the centre of Hull. For the price paid for the night (£29) for a double room, I was pleasantly surprised at the room I got. As I was working, I had my computer and printer with me. I asked for a room with a desk and got a mini-suite with a small living area, a separate bedroom and bathroom. I spent a quite night in a reasonably comfortable bed and managed a lot of work at the large desk that was in the living area. The free WiFi worked well and the staff were friendly and helpful with my large amount of luggage. Although this was not the Ritz, it was not the Ritz price either. One of the best bargains I have had. The only downer? I couldn't figure out how to get the scalding hot water from the tap to the shower head, so ended up with a tepid shower. For the price, I can recommend this Hotel

Room Tip: Ask for what you want in advance. For the price this Hotel should be full but its not.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Gilson Hotel.

We are looking forward to welcoming you here again and should there be anything we might do for you on your next stay please do not hesitate to contact us prior to your arrival, we will certainly do our very best to look after you!

Pannu M.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Just came back from hull a group of 33 on a stag do April 19th and can honestly say we had no complaints our stay at the Gilson yes it's basic but for the money you can't complain rooms are ok showers are very nice it's got a great bar with cheap prices and breakfast was nice the 3 young ladies worked there socks as we drank the bar!!!the guy on reception was cheerful and helpful I've stopped at campanile many times but no more as the Gilson will be the place from now on I would recommend this hotel

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Ian,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will certainly pass this onto the rest of the Team.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back here again in future and please do not hesitate to contact me directly at any time, I would be pleased to look after you.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

I know this hotel is a cheaper option, but we still paid £94 for two terrible nights!
When we entered the hotel, the reception staff didn't greet us, they just stared at us until we spoke, then when we were given our key to our room we chose to walk up the stairs - which is a death trap in itself, many of the stair strips are very loose and dangerous - personally i think this is a unnecessary hazard and could be fixed easily by replacing some missing screws.
When we entered our room the smell of damp and mould hit us very hard - after looking around the outer walls were all mouldy and the bathroom ceiling was very mouldy! Besides the mould, the shower head was furred up - but the room was otherwise fairly clean.
The bed we were given was badly bowed in the middle - it was clearly very old, though the Asda pillows weren't too bad in the grand scheme of things.
Ive never stayed in a hotel where theres no real housekeeping between days stayed, we came back on the second day to the same dirty cups, no new spoons/tea/coffee/milk or toilet roll. We asked for some toilet roll and was told someone would bring some up.. over three hours later a woman knocked on our door and asked if there was "owt we wanted?" she was oblivious to the fact wed already asked for toilet roll, she had no clean cups, no new plastic spoons and just left us with a handfull of milk pods and a toilet roll.
I know its a city centre hotel, but surely you shouldnt be able to hear every word said outside on the pavement when youre 3 floors up? The windows may have well been removed.
Lastly, we were disturbed 3 times by maintenance men "installing a new phone" which had already been done, two of the times was by the same man!
Again i stress that im aware that this is a low budget hotel, but our stay was awful, we will definitely pay the additional parking for the travelodge if we were to come back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Manuel P, Director of Sales at Gilson Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We treat all our comments with utmost seriousness and we will be investigating your issues accordingly.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

I stayed in the Gilson it's under new management and they are doing a great turnaround with the place on looking at previous comments it's vastly improved!!!

Samantha on reception was excellent and is an absolute credit to the establishment!!

Well worth a try!!!

It gets five ticks from me.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back here again soon.