“30min wait for lunch”
Review of The Saltshouse

The Saltshouse
More attraction details
Owner description: The Saltshouse Tavern is a large, two-roomed, friendly local pub, in the heart of east Hull, close to the village of Sutton, Howdale Road, Saltshouse Road and Gleneagle Park. From noon to 8pm we serve a great menu. We show all major sporting events, including football and rugby league, on our six flat-screen TVs. We have a traditional bar, with two pool tables and a several darts boards, as well as a jukebox. We host live music every Saturday. We also hold fun events such as bingo, quiz nights, karaoke and poker. This pub is the heart of the community and is the place to be.
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

I took my daughter to Salthouse for a treat as had been at her school sports day. The reason we picked Salthouse was it was just around the corner from her school and felt we would have plenty of time to get some lunch and make it back within her lunch hour. We got there and ordered 2 Club Sandwiches which came with chips and went to wait outside in the sun. After approx 20mins we were getting anxious as still no sign of our food. I went inside to chase up our order and was advised that they were really busy on food at the minute although the number of people in the pub at the time would've suggested otherwise. Our food finally arrived after approx 30mins which now left us with 15mins to eat our food and get my daughter back to school. As such we had to rush eating our food, which was nice enough when it finally did arrive, however we didn't have enough time to enjoy or finish our meals. I left most of my chips and my daughter had to grab a handful of hers to eat on the way back to school. I was left disappointed for a number of reasons - the wait period for the food, not being advised there would have been a lengthy delay at the point of ordering as I could then have made an informed decision to either accept the wait period or make alternative arrangements for our lunch, having to chase up our food, not being able to enjoy/finish our meals. All of the above also made me 5mins late in returning my daughter to her school. Overall it was a disappointing experience for us both.

All reviews
"quid"
"fab"
"pubs"

Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

Excellent service from both staff and landlady. Food to an excellent standard, 10/10 would recommend. Atmosphere in the pub was great, definitely coming back more often.

1  Thank iantripplett20345
Charlotte H, General Manager at The Saltshouse, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2018

Thank you for the great review, we are glad you enjoyed your visit.

Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

10/10 pub, 10/10 staff, 10/10 beer, just one thing wrong - “George” from behind the bar has a bad music taste ! Not impressed, #bandana-boy

2  Thank Alfie R
Charlotte H, General Manager at The Saltshouse, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2018

Thank you for the great review.

Reviewed 12 April 2018

I have been a regular for many years but, as with many other locals, I will not be returning. Despite recent refurb, pub is still in the same poor state as only short term cosmetic improvements appear to have been made. The layout does not work - squeezing passed other diners to return to seat. Live bands no longer have an allocated area to perform. Terrible lighting. The rotten drafty windows, badly leaking roof, and absolutely disgusting toilets have not been addressed. The bar is often unmanned. Dirty dishes and glasses not cleared away. Fighting and drug taking remains an issue. The outside seating area is not enclosed so unsafe for children. The food and menu choice is good but kitchen closes at different times without warning - I have often seen people leave hungry and annoyed. New landlady nowhere to be seen. Such a shame.

2  Thank PollyPocket74
Charlotte H, General Manager at The Saltshouse, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2018

Hi,

I am so sorry that you haven't been happy with your recent visit. We have had a few issues recently with equipment in the kitchen which has forced early closure. Because you mentioned the bar being unmanned and glasses not being collected, I will be able to bring this up with the team and make sure that this is being addressed in future.
The non cosmetic issues you mentioned are slowly being sorted, with the roof being sorted this past week. We are as disappointed as you are that this wasn't sorted at the refurb.
We are looking into the layout of tables and where we position the band. We felt that where they are playing at the moment the best for playing to the whole room. However we are welcome to any suggestions that would improve upon this.
I am sorry you haven't seen me when you've come in, unfortunately I will probably have been working back of house at this time or on a day off.

I hope this alleviates some of your concerns,

See more reviews
Reviewed 6 March 2018 via mobile

Realy nice make over, now spoiled by lots of young kids doing drugs in the toilets, which by the way are still a dump! Underage drinking in the bar is rife! But the big problem is the drugs! Very blatantly used (coke) and nothing has been done about this by the new Landlady!
Shame because the food & beer are decent, but the previous problems will drive the families with children away was well as the regulars. Please get a grip of the scum drug dealers and users!

1  Thank Andy C
Charlotte H, General Manager at The Saltshouse, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Hi Andy,

We are really sorry you feel this way about our pub. We are doing our utmost to make sure that this a family friendly place during the day and somewhere you can enjoy a night with friends in the evening. We take any instances of drug use seriously and have taken steps to prevent this from happening in future. We appreciate your concerns and are responding to them in the best way possible.

I hope this alleviates your concerns.