“Pricey, grubby and inappropriate”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Fort Paull

Fort Paull
More attraction details
Owner description: Fort Paull is the only fully intact Napoleonic Fortress in the North. Covering 10 acres of land this Museum is full of Underground tunnels and rooms, fantastic exhibits and on most weekends throughout the Summer, fantastic displays and events. The Fort is also the home of the worlds only surviving Blackburn Beverley Aircraft. There is also a fully licenced bar and tea rooms on site.
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Pricey, grubby and inappropriate”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014

We visited Fort Paull on Friday and I have to say how disappointed I was. We've visited the area many times as we have family in Hull, but never been to Fort Paull before so we were excited to try somewhere new and find out a bit more of the local history, especially as we'd been told it was very important during the second world war.

It cost £6 per adult to get in, free for our two year old. I don't mind paying more for a day out, but when we walked inside, we quickly realised that £6 is pretty pricey for what you get.
Everywhere was extremely dirty and run down. I know the place has restrictions on what it can and can't do due to it's listed status, however, I'm pretty sure that even listed buildings are allowed to be dusted and cleaned. The toilets were filthy and when I went to wash my hands I had to try 5 taps before water eventually came out of one of them.
Fortunately, we didn't venture into the cafe. Having seen the state of the rest of the place, we thought it was best for our health not to consume anything made of the premises.

My main issue was with the unsuitability of a lot of the exhibits. I was aware there was a section called 'The Witches' and so obviously didn't take my two year old into that. However, a large majority of the exhibits were unsuitable for young children, with no warnings, it wasn't until you'd already encountered them that this became clear. Models of people being hung, smashed under a fallen building, models of children in a burnt bedroom, heads on sticks with blood dripping down, a world war one firing squad are but a few. I'm not naive and I know there is a lot of history that contains gruesome things, however, there is a way of making this information available, without it being totally tasteless and grotesque.

It's saving grace was the large aeroplane that you could actually go inside. It was great to be able to get on the plane and look around inside. But £6 just for this pleasure? No thank you.

My recommendation would be for the place to get their marigolds on and give this place a jolly good scrub, clean it up and re-think their exhibits. We were fascinated by what each of the underground rooms would have been used for in the war, but this information was lacking, most of it seemed to just be general information, not specifically about Fort Paull which was a real shame.

All in all, don't bother going, save your money and go visit the Deep or go into nearby Beverley or York and have a nice afternoon tea!

5 Thank Becky B

Halifax, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Very interesting! But needs some TLC :-)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

It was our first family visit to Fort Paull and we had a lovely day.The lady on the entrance was very informative and told us that the Fort was in need of repair but unfortunately they are unable to do this due to restrictions which seems such a shame as the history that is there is eventually going to be ruined due to damp etc. Our children loved being able to climb in the plane and on the tanks etc we really enjoyed it.I do think the toilet facilities are very poor and the train carriage has been used as a dinning area but was not cleaned these are the only things that let it down.If you can look beyond this for the history you would certainly enjoy Fort Paull.

1 Thank deany19
kimgston upon hull
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Good effort ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

The last time I came here was about ten years ago and we can see all the changes that have been made to fort paull . Ok it might not have the best displays in the tunnels and be a bit neglected around the edges . But who cares . Where can you see aircrafts and military cannons and guns etc round here . You cant . I saw the knights fighting which was pretty cool . We had a good day . And got to see things we aint seen before . Give it a try

Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Far below my expectations”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Very disappointing. The exhibits are in a dreadful state of repair, just rotting away amongst weeds. Certainly won't be recommending this place or going there again.

1 Thank pjp246
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Fascinating day out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

This was our second visit the first when it first opened. The range of exhibits has grown and the displays very informative. The volunteer staff are all friendly and provided good service. There are some great exhibits - for me the star of the show was the Beverley Transport aircraft that you can enter. A good video exhibit of 2nd world war information footage. We ate in the bar/function room and the quality was good and very good value for money.

Visited July 2014