“Awful Place!!”

and 1 more site!
Vale Guest House
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Kingston-upon-Hull
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Firstly forget about the photo in the internet ad. Its not like that at all!!
I too thought I'd arrived at the wrong place and drove right past it!
It is shabby and unwelcoming, as is most of this area of Hull!!
The car park at the rear was like something out of "Fort Apache: The Bronx" with razor wire surrounding it and 2 huge gates to negotiate!! No exaggeration!
Once inside you would think you were inside some cheap hostel in Eastern Europe as it was dingy, cold and depressing!
The receptionist was friendly, however, and I went to my room, a single en-suite, which was quite large but had a miniscule flat screen tv on the wall (I didn't know they made them this small!). The room was cold and damp but the radiators were on. The bed was made with fresh towels but the overall impression was of dampness and cold with a dingy tatty décor.
The surrounding area was bad enough during the day but once darkness fell it was downright dangerous and not to be risked on foot!
I didn't try the breakfast, cheap as it was, and couldn't wait to get out of there!!
I was relieved to find my car was still there and not vandalised!
Unless you are absolutely desperate DON'T GO THERE!!!
The Ibis in the town centre has rooms from £39 so for the sake of £9??
A definite "no brainer"!

Room Tip: Anywhere but here!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank BARRY T

Reviewed 15 July 2013

I booked and paid for two ensuite rooms at this hotel in a hurry because i was running out of time. That was before i read all the horrible reviews on here which painted a horrific picture in my mind and i was like "what have i done??". So i decided to go anyway, and if it was as horrible as the reviews say, then i'll have to dish out cash for somewhere else fast (if i could find anyplace else). So off i went expecting to see a nightmare.....

NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH!!! This place is decent, clean and well kept. Its in a quiet neighbourhood about 10mins walk from the train station (which is at the city centre btw). The rooms are average size not too big, not too small, and its exactly what you see in the pictures. Infact, my companion on this travel stayed in the exact room in the picture and it looks no different. They have cable tv, free wifi, an easy to use shower, full english breakfast (at an extra 5.00GBP per person) ... I mean, whatelse do you want from a (so-called) 1 Star Hotel? a free daily massage?? seriously!!

The proprietress was very nice as well, very welcoming. She didnt give me hell for still being in the room 2 hours after my check-out time, lolz. I had a very pleasant stay here, and i recommend it to anyone who is looking NOT for a Sheraton or the Hilton, but a nice and decent place for a brief comfortable stay in Hull.

Room Tip: Choose an ensuite room. Though the general bathroom seemed alright, but i liked having mine (you may...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ahmed a
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Please beware of this place. The first thing is it is definatley NOT as the picture on the internet to the point of false advertising. It is a single door with a sigle sign above it and it is very run down. I was convinced I had gone to the wrong location but they had my booking details. The rooms are very dated and maintained by someone with the most amature of DIY skills. The room could be described as clean but so sparse and again DEFINATLEY not as the pictures show on the internet. The location was very poor being in what appeared to be a run down part ot the town. It was quiet however so that was a plus. A single room (non onsuite) was priced at £24 and a single (onsuite) at £30. In my younger days when I worked on a budget basis I would have only expected to pay £15 pound for the non onsuite and no more than £20 for the single onsuite. In short this hotel is vastly overpriced. To sum it up I would not go there again, I would rather cancel my busyness trip.

Room Tip: do not book in the first place.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Tony_s65
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Arrived to a nice and friendly welcome from the receptionist Angela. Stayed in room 26 single ensuite the room was clean and looked to have been decorated in the last year or so, the bathroom was clean and the shower hot. Yes some areas of the guest house could do with a lick of paint but I wasn't expecting the world for the £27.50 I paid for the night. Would I stay here again yes without a doubt, I wouldn't bring my fiancé for a romantic break but this place was perfect for a stop over with work.

Room Tip: Secure parking with access to leave at all times through your own gate key, handy if you've a va...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I stayed at this Hotel in March this year.
The reason I chose this hotel was that it was quite close to the Royal Infirmary, about a 10 minutes walk.
Access to the hotel is easy, with both the bus and the train terminals quite close by, about two kilometers away, with easy access both by bus and taxi - and, about 20-30 minutes by walk.
The hotel itself is situated in a side lane (Coltman Street), a few steps from the main Anlaby Road. The Reception desk is manned by a Zimbabwean lady, who is quite friendly and helpful.
I found the rooms neat and tidy. The room was cleaned daily with provision of fresh toilet linen. However, for some reason, bed linen was not changed over the five days I stayed at the Hotel.
Central heating works well. I noticed, for it was freezing cold outside and the rooms were quite warm.
You have to pay for your breakfast. However, I preferred to take my breakfast at an Asian pub nearby.Food is not a problem, with plenty of food joints close-by, providing all sorts of food. I found food and other consumables much cheaper than in London.
I would definitely stay at this hotel again, if I were to visit Hull again.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the rear. Rooms are much quieter and the rear view is excellent - with the Roya...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank mlimtiaz
Reviewed 4 April 2013

For £34 a night the room was fine ,clean ,tidy and free wi fi and the ensuite was nice except the shower wouldn't stay up so had to hold it with 1 hand while washing with the other.The hotel needs doing up its rather like student digs ,I'll stick to premier inn in future where for £19 a night I have had better and felt safer .Won't be back

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I was very impressed with this hotel. It had secure parking at the back, locked gates with heavy duty padlocks. The room itself was basic, but perfectably acceptable for the price you paid. Ensuite was useful, if a bit small - I'm 6ft. Staff were welcoming. I would definitely stay here again!

As I was seeing friends didn't try the restaurant, but the breakfast menu appeared to have a lot on offer.

Room Tip: Go for the ensuite room if you can.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo