“'You have to go to Hull' ..... thankfully a much more pleasant experience than I could have imagined!”

Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre
North Yorkshire
Reviewed 31 August 2011

I had to visit Hull on business recently. Having not been to Hull before but having pre-conceptions that it wasn't a destination that I would have to chosen to visit - I headed there with little enthusiasm. I had been booked into the Holiday Inn Express by my office - my thoughts were of a very basic hotel but I was very pleasantly surprised. The hotel is accessed easily and directly from the St Stephens Centre - as a lone female business traveller this was very welcome. I was greeted warmly at reception and advised that I could eat out in the St Stephens Centre or get a take away to eat in my room - or I could dine in the Expressions Restaurant in house or get room service from them. I chose to eat in the restaurant and was very pleased that I did. The steak that I had was cooked to perfection and served with delicious fat chips and a peppercorn sauce. The pud menu looked very appetising but I couldn't manage a dessert. All in all I would highly recommend this budget hotel as the price is budget but the amenities for the price are great value. Hull isn't all that bad after all ...... in fact I might have to revisit Hull to go to The Deep with my family!

1 Thank TheWeiryTraveller
RWormall, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre, responded to this review, 14 September 2011
Dear TheWeiryTraveller

Thank you for taking the time out to post your comments on tripadvisor, and that we and Hull exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back when you come to visit the Deep.

Regards

Robert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
England UK
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Excellent position for the train and bus stations and a short walk from the city centre. Car park next door. The reception is on the first floor - take the lift,it's a fair hike up the stairs. The bedroom was all we needed - good sized bed; efficient bathroom (I liked the way the door works!!);TV and tea/coffee facilities. It's not often you get breakfast included in the price in these types of hotels and although it was a bit "mass-produced" it was OK and there was plenty of it (fruit juices/cereals/hot meal/pastries/fresh fruit/tea/coffee and toast). There is a small bar and lounge and you can even sit outside and watch the coming-and-goings on the street below. Good value for money and we will now have a look at their other hotels for future trips.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Cavershamroyals

Many thanks for taking the time out to post your comments regarding your recent stay. I am pleased you enjoyed it and we look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in the area.

Kind Regards

Robert
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2011

We stayed here toward the end of August, and were unimpressed to be honest.

The air-con in the room didn't work, and the bathroom stunk, literally stunk of wet towels and drains. We asked reception to move rooms and we were told that the person who could authorise this wasn't back in until the morning, which given our 1 night stay, wasn't brilliant.

Also, check-out was 12noon, however the maid tried to kick us out at 8.30am, saying she had to clean the room we'd have to leave, in the end we resolved to shut the door in her face and complain on check-out, to a polish girl on reception who was too busy typing on the computer to listen, so much so that mid way through my sentance I stopped and said 'You're not listening are you' and then continued on with what I was saying, and she was non the wiser.

Also there is a real lack of information anywhere in the hotel. Parking is £7 if you park in the St Stephans shopping centre, however this is a discounted rate for hotel guests, and ISN'T listed on the St Stephans parking charges signs, neither is it listed anywere in the hotel, if you didn't ask, you'd be paying £10-20 a night for parking.

If I had the chance all over again I'd stay in the Premier Inn on the other side of the city, as this experience was distinctly average

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
ManagerHUYUK, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre, responded to this review, 31 August 2011
Dear chrisyjuk

Thank you for your review regarding your experience with the Holiday Inn Express Hull, We regret that your stay did not meet your expectations and we will take the necessary steps to continue to improve our services.

Please contact me directly if you wish to discuss this matter further; I hope that we can welcome you in our hotel in the future and repair your confidence in us.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Stayed for 2 nights as my son was visiting Hull University. Great central location in St Stephens Shopping Centre, beside the railway station. Rooms very clean, staff friendly and responsive, and breakfast was much better than expected!
Only downside for me was that the lifts were not working and due to my arthritis, the long climb up to reception was difficult. If you are not physically active check that this problem has been sorted before you book.
As my son will now be a student in Hull, I will be making regular visits to this lovely city. I would stay here again providing lifts were working.

Room Tip: Rooms to the front overlook a main road but noise was not a problem. (I'm a light sleeper!)
Dear Cariadon

Thank you for your review regarding your stay with the Holiday Inn Express Hull.

We realise you have many choices when it comes to lodging, and we sincerely appreciate your business.

We apologise the issues you encountered with the lifts and I am glad you enjoyed your stay regardless of this issue; I can confirm this has now been resolved

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in our hotel soon

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Excellent hotel really close to hull city center, comfortable.Hotel has small restaurant but and also close to local restaurant like my favorite restaurant Mimosa, la perla or pave cafe bar We loved this place and will go back when travel to hull

Dear Gorge S

Thank you for your review regarding your stay with the Holiday Inn Express Hull and your kind words about our lovely city

Cumbria
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Very clean and comfortable, the complimentary breakfast was ideal.
Staff generally friendly, the restaurant, newly opened was just finding it's feet and service was a bit chaotic, however we like the Hotel.

Dear Inspector

Thank you for your review regarding your stay with the Holiday Inn Express Hull, we apologise for the issues you had in the restaurant and can assure you this has now been addressed.

Goole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2011

We booked through hotwire.com and got a double room with breakfast for 2 on a Saturday night for £36 for a perfect city centre located hotel. The staff were helpful and efficient. The room was a good size, and there was a choice of pillow firmness available when we got to the room! There was not as much choice at breakfast as some places we have been, but there was still more than plenty - although we did struggle to find seats.

Make sure that you pay for the car park when you check out, as it's only £7 if you pay in the hotel rather than about £20 if you pay at the shopping centre machine.

• Stayed August 2011
Dear Sheepeati

Thank you for your review regarding your stay with the Holiday Inn Express Hull and your possitive comments