“Wonderful place to stay in Hull”

Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Great place to stay in Hull, excellent, knowledgeable and friendly staff, room, even so just for two people, is large enough and very comfortable and clean, the location is great as it is next to the train station and in the centre of everything.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
ManagerHUYUK, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2012

Dear Clayhall,

Thank you for your kind comments and hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon

Reviewed 3 June 2012

We stayed for one night and it was clean and had everything we needed. The security issue is that the reception staff are aware that anyone can gain access from street level to the room floors yet haven't done anything about it. Anyone can get a lift from the street, bypass reception as it's on the first floor, and go straight to the floors the rooms are on. This made me feel very uncomfortable.

We also passed on breakfast as it looked like the worse kind of canteen with discarded trays of food everywhere and a free for all around the buffet.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2012

My son and I were booked into the Holiday Inn on Monday 28th May, we arrived around 5-30pm and although could seem a little difficult to locate the actual hotel entrance, having been before we had no problem in locating the 2nd floor entrance to the hotel via the Car Park. We checked in and were a little confused at parking charges as we were intending to eat out and would leave the car park shortly. We were told the charge would be £1 for exit but were charged £2. Then we had a charge of £7 overnight once we had re-parked the car, even the receptionist appeared to be confused. Upon entering the left hand lift to our room on the 7th floor, a lady in the lift selected the 3rd floor and up we went only to be shaken by a vicious shudder from the lift as we got to this floor at which it did not stop but continued up to the 7th Floor. We decided that this lift was not working properly and used the right hand lift on all other occassions, however that was so slow in its travel that it took forever to travel 6 floors etc. We checked into our room which was roasting hot but found we could not operated the air conditioning and could not open the window. As we were going out it was decided we would tackle this on return. Upon arriving back at the hotel around 7-45pm our room was still roasting but despite trying every which way the window would not open and the air con would not work. We then tried to contact reception on the internal phone and were ringing for just under 10 minutes with no reply, so we called directly with a mobile phone and that was answered after about 2 minutes. When asked why the internal phone was not answered the gruff reply from the receptionist was that she and her colleague were busy checking people in. My experience in hotels is that no matter who is checking in or out they will always answer the phone. When eventually we discuss the air con we are told this is operated from the desk not from the room, something that is not detailed when you check in or in any of the room documentation. Eventually it worked but beware if you use this hotel in the hot weather they "ration" the use of air con. The breakfast is F.O.C and was quite adequate but the toast bread was in both white and brown opaque because it was so thin, it matched well with the plastic jams, honey and butter offerings. Suggest this hotel has lost its way from its opening origination and needs someone to get in there and do what is required in particular get those lifts and the air con sorted asap.

Room Tip: Rooms all have a view of the centre area of Hull but would suggest you ask for a room with Air con t...
Management response:Responded 6 July 2012

Dear WiggleOxford,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a detailed review. We are very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. We just want to assure you that our Hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. We apologize that we fell below your expectations on this particular day.

We hope you decide to give us another chance for a future stay.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 20 May 2012

as bad as it gets. 1 lift out of order, tired bar and Got to room and TV had scuh a quiet limiter on it that I couldn't hear the tv. Sofa bed was very uncomfortable and bed had thin mattress. Glad it was just for work as I would not personally pay for this place. Staff too busy talking to each other to be bothered serving me. Food was reheated microwave stuff and finally got a pint waiting for the meal. Next time I pay more for a decent stay elsewhere

Room Tip: request a street view, then you can see theres a way out
1  Thank PHC M
ManagerHUYUK, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

Dear PHC M,

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments regarding the Hotel, I very curious to find out when you stayed at the hotel we have not had any lift faults in quite so time and nothing reported to us. If you could call me on 01482 485700 and a full audit of the bedroom room would be completed and my findings reported back to you.

Debra Hutchins

Reviewed 19 May 2012

My daughter and I stayed for one night because she was taking ice skating tests at the Ice Arena and had to be on the ice at 6.00 the next morning. Much better than getting up at 4.30 and driving for an hour! The hotel's very handy for the ice rink - it took us less than 5 minutes to get there from checking out at Reception.

From start to finish our stay was great. The parking was much more straightforward than I'd thought it would be and we'd been warned on the web site about the parking charge - I was relieved that it was cheaper than it would have been at the full Shopping Centre rate. The staff were brilliant, very friendly and helpful - when we said we'd be checking out before breakfast time they said that some cold items would be out just before 6.00 anyway and we could grab some fruit etc. It was very handy having vending machines and ice machines for drinks.

The room was spotlessly clean and very comfortable. For our next early start at the ice Rink, we'll definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Hi Jan A,

Thank you so much for your kind comments, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back for the next event

Reviewed 15 May 2012

good hotel for business people.good breakfast especially continental hot food not a lot of choice.room clean and spacious bed not that comfy and pillows were hard and having to pay for parking would stop me staying there again.staff helpful and pleasant

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
ManagerHUYUK, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2012

Hi Cheryl

Thank you for leaving your comments, I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the Continental breakfast and you found the staff friendly, I do understand the frustation regarding the car parking cost, however the car park is owned by St Stephens who has kindly reduced the rate for 24 hour parking from £15.00 to £7.00 but myself would love to see this reduced more, I do meet with the centre management team on a regular basis and will let them know your comments.

We do hope you will return to us and we do offer our trip advisor guests a weekend rate from £39.00.

Reviewed 10 May 2012

This was a 1 night business stay as I was working near Hull.

I picked the HI Express over the recently stayed in Premier Inn as the rate was slightly better, I get priority points and it had free wifi.

I found the location of the hotel OK, thanks to my Sat Nav, but it was not overly clear where I was supposed to park. I used my intutition and parked in the multi storey car park that was adjacent to the shopping mall that the hotel was attached to. This turned out to be correct and the hotel parking was indeed in this car park.

The overnight charge for parking was not made clear on tjhe web site and that cost me another £7. In fact I did hear a couple of other customers complaining about this charge. So chalk another £7 onto the overnight rate you get.

Check in was easy and the hotel felt and seemed very quiet. I had a room on the 4th floor which is served by a coupe of lifts.

The room was the usual HI express type, i.e. double bed, sofa-bed, desk, tv, etc. And only a shower in the bathroom. It was clean and it was in good condition so everything suited me. I did have a room at the front of the hotel on the main road, but even though I had read some reviews complaining of noise from this road, I never heard anything and did not get disturbed at all during the night and I am a light sleeper.

The free wifi worked easily and I got the work done I needed to, no access problems at all.

The hotel is well located next door to a shopping mall and in there are an abundance of restaurants, fast food places and indeed a Tesco to get any provisions you need from.

In the morning I had the complimentary breakfast and this was very good quality for HI express standards. The restaurant was very quiet and it was easy to get a table and there was a good selection of food offered.

I would definately stay here again if I was in the area and I would recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Request a high room away from the main road, even though I did not have any noise trouble myself.

Hi Siddex,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay at the hotel, I am always pleased to hear all feed back and use all the information to improve our service and standards.

We hope to see you back at the hotel very soon