All reviewscar parkst stephenscity centrehot itemsbeanstrain stationfree breakfastsofa beddirect accessthe hotel receptionmulti storeyeasy parkingincluding breakfastrooms are smallyogurtreception staffan overnight stay
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I have stayed here a number of times when visiting Hull. As I always drive, the hotel is best accessed via the multi-storey car park that servers the shopping centre. This means that you don't need to brave the weather as you carry your bags etc. into the hotel! Reception staff are friendly and welcoming. Room was clean and bed comfortable. Bar area is a little lacking in atmosphere but this is normal for these types of hotels. If you need to eat & can't be bothered with restaurants, there area number of shops in the shopping centre to get food from.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 January 2014

The location of this hotel is its most redeeming feature - it is a very short walk away from the Hull Paragon Interchange. The reception and restaurant areas are very pleasant and the staff who greeted me there were friendly. My room was on the 6th floor and at the end of a very long corridor. My first thought upon entering it was that there was no table or desk to speak of, which I found very strange. There were, however, some small holes in the wall beneath the television which suggested there might have been a table there at some stage and that it had been broken and simply not replaced. There were also several stains on the carpet and quite a lot of dust - it just seemed like nobody had used the room for quite some time. I returned to reception and requested to be moved to another room as I had arrived with the intention of doing some work (for which I needed a desk to put my laptop on). The man who sorted this out for me was friendly and it was no trouble at all. My new room was better. There was at least a table in this one, and it felt somewhat more 'lived-in' than the previous room, but there were still stains on the carpet (quite large red ones next to the bed) and something unknown spattered on the headboard.

Overall, I was quite disappointed. The location is fantastic and the staff are lovely (breakfast was also good), but for the price I was expecting something a little nicer and better looked after than what I found.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear LouiseAnne89,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit at our hotel and for providing us with your valuable feedback. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the level of service, facilities and the location of the hotel. However, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the room conditions may have caused you. Your comments have been documented and we are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

This is not a bad hotel, the room and amenities are fine. You get what you pay for and you are not paying much. However, what you expect in a hotel is a reasonable bed and it seems as if the Holiday Inn Express have bought the cheapest beds, the cheapest pillows and duvets. Admittedly we have a really good bed at home but what an awful night (lack) of sleep we have just had. A basic double, not king size, a mattress that sagged and bounced when either of us moved, so the night was reminiscent of student nights spent on lilo's with pillows that could not be thumped into comfort, and a duvet that lay over you more like a tarpaulin than a soft enveloping cover. Starting the day tired with a sore neck and back is not great. By comparison we recently had a night in a Citizen M hotel - also an economy offer - but an amazing bed.
My advice - despite the lack of romance, twin beds might be the way to go here.
And sadly we are here for another night. Gulp.

Stayed: January 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Dear kesEdinburgh,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the bedding prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 10 January 2014

Stayed for 2 nights whilst visiting family in Hull. Nice clean room and excellent staff made it a good choice.Breakfast is included and was above average in my view. If you want bacon eggs and sausage traditional style it is there but why not have that plus your choice from the continental breakfast also on offer with yoghurt,fruit and croissants etc? We would definitely use again as it served our needs perfectly.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We had a family room for £25 including breakfast which was a real bargain for our one night stay in January. Parking is an additional £7 for 24 hours in the St Stephens shopping centre car park where you can park opposite the reception. The centre also has several restaurants and a very big Tesco store. Hull has several interesting museums all within walking distance that are free to visit.
The hotel was modern and clean, everything worked properly in the room and the reception staff were friendly. We would go again

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple