“Accommodation good, breakfast poor”

Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre
Reviewed 19 March 2014

The good things about this hotel are the location, the views from the higher floors and the functional, very clean rooms. It's a basically very good budget hotel.
Also I found the staff very pleasant and helpful.
But breakfast is grim. It's advertised as free but I'd rather pay and have something better. The cooked selection is bland over cooked scrambled egg and outstandingly poor sausages. The croissant was disgusting, uncooked bottom, cold - yuk! But well dealt with by the waiter. The coffee was ok though
Enjoy the stay but pay for a breakfast elsewhere.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Debbie H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, I am glad to hear about the staff and the waiter who dealt with your breakfast issue are polite, I can confirm that I am looking into the breakfast and have changed our ordering of items today, I have asked for some new samples of Sausages, Smaller Croissants, Scrambled Egg along other items, I have informed our supplier that these items are receiving various comments and I want this addressing,

I do hope to welcome you back soon and I would welcome more feedback

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre

Reviewed 16 March 2014

If you ever need somewhere to say in Hull- this is excellent. Next to train station but by car there is an integrated car park (and discount).Very well managed - clean and efficinet. Room was fine- duvers a bit thin.
staff really helpful
can't fault it- and great price

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Debbie H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments and I will definitely be looking into the quilts, and purchasing some new ones

I do hope to welcome you back soon

Debbie

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Got given a room with two single beds for a 2 night stay. And wasn't even told until I entered my room! Cold room and wasn't even offered another room as none were available! Thank god I brought my own heater!
Dinner choice was poor so went out into the shopping centre for a nice burger! Cinema was cheap on a Wednesday night and there is a Wicked Gym in the centre , 2min walk from the hotel and just show your room card and you can get in for £3! Wouldn't recommend this place, single beds were so poor and every time I moved I felt the bed would give way. Cheap and very noisy. Def not go there again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

I was sad to hear you didn't receive the room type you wanted, if can I ask for you to contact me direct at the hotel with your details and I will look into your booking and how this was made,

I am sure you would agree we are in a brilliant location for the cinema, shops, local restaurants and the Gym, this would be a shame if you would not give us another chance of repairing your views on the hotel.
Look forward to hearing from you

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Watch yourself when being directed by Sat Nav, mine took us into the middle of the bis station. You need to go into the shopping centre car park.

The check in staff were good, polite and helpful, including bringing up a iron and board.

The rooms are very small, especially the bathroom. Basic with its contents, and very soft beds. The room was clean enough but some odd brown stains on the shower curtain are a bit of a worry.

It was fine for what was paid.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments, i am delighted you find the staff helpful and I ask Housekeeping to look at the shower curtains, as this should of been replaced straight away with a new one.
I do hope to welcome you back soon

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Ideal hotel for the business user. Central to city and easy to find just off the A63. Car parking in secure multi car park with hotel parking a few steps away from main entrance which opens in to car park at a very good hotel reduced rate.

Reception staff very pleasant and courteous and my room was very clean and to a very good standard. Met my business customer in the bar and again had very good service from the young lady who checked me in.

Cannot comment on breakfast as I opted for a coffee in my room before checking out where once again I experienced very good service.

Would definitely use again and recommend for the business user.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments and i am pleased you find the staff helpful and courteous.
I do hope to see you back soon

Regards

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Stayed here last week as the Marina HI was fully booked. Rooms were clean and basic but the food for breakfast left a lot to be desired - it is "free" but not really an excuse for revolting scrambled egg. Reception staff were friendly andmade us feel welcome but the Marina option much better value for money.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Dear SueBridgend_UK,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. We are delighted you found our staff highly commendable. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel.

Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced and we regret the breakfast served during your stay did not live up to your expectations. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer to our guests.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We stayed here on Saturday,just me and the husband. We was at a party in the city centre so it's location was fabulous,the room was clean and sufficient for our stay. The staff was loverly and engaged in conversation with us and made us feel very welcome, especially the lady who checked us in;very polite and happy to serve us I believe her name was Alison.

• Stayed: February 2014