“Comfortable stay”

Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre
Cottingham, United Kingdom
“Comfortable stay”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Couple in our 50s stayed in a family room with 2 grandchildren aged 3 & 8.
Check in was efficient with friendly staff, room/bathroom clean & tidy, adequate towels & pillows.Stayed on a bed & breakfast basis at a very reasonable price of approx £50 for the 4 of us!. Minor maintenence problem remeded within minutes of contacting reception. Parking overnight & until the following day was £6.00 which we felt was reasonable. Would definitely stay here again and recommend to others.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Eddoll
Debbie H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Thank you for your comments and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay,
Hope to see you back soon
Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

It is a Holiday Inn Express - so you get a Holiday Inn Express. Standard but perfectly acceptable rooms, everything is clean, breakfast is OK (although of course I'd prefer the full selection of hot items one gets at a normal Holiday Inn rather than just the beans, scrambled eggs and cheap sausages one gets at an Express).

Location wise it's ideal being close to Hull station and within St Stephens, so within walking distance you have lots of options for dinner in the evening. Customer service is pretty good. No complaints.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank rineu
Debbie H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay at the hotel, we are glad to hear the location suits your needs and hope to welcome you back soon.

Ashington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Arrived at 1.15pm with a group of friends and said we had a reservation. The receptionist snapped at us that check in was at 2pm then left us to it. We used the bathroom and were about to leave when a group of males came and announced their arrival. They were greeted warmly by another receptionist who had now arrived and were allowed to check in. My friend asked if we could check in and the new receptionist told us we could. The hotel itself was comfortable, breakfast was nothing special, I agree with the reviews in relation to the poor quality sausages and flavourless scrambled eggs. I also have a couple of bites on my shoulder which I am left wondering if they have come from the hotel. Such a shame as the location is excellent.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments regarding check in, I have questioned each member of staff on shift and was told the rooms became available shortly after your first attempt to check in, check in time is 2.00pm and we do our very best to allow people to check in early if the rooms are ready for the arriving guests

I am very concerned regarding your comments about bites, as we are part of IHG hotels we have a very strict routine with regards to checking mattresses and we record each month mattress turnings and inspections. I have checked the room in which we believe you stayed in and I can confirm 100% we have no such issues which you are implying.

Should you wish to discuss this accusation further please feel free to contact me on the hotel telephone number.
Port Talbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I recently stayed at the hotel, to attend a nearby conference. Upon arrival the staff were friendly and the hotel was well presented. I was then given my room key and off I set. Shortly arriving in the room I could hear a full blow conversation with the occupants of the room next door. Luckily they were talking about their college assignments and not anything else. The walls were so thin I could hear everything going on. I sat on the bed and the next think I knew was the occupant of the room on the other side had come in, and what ever happened in that room, caused my headboard to move. The room construction was so thin it was terrible. Had a good nights sleep apart from the constant sound of emergency vehicles travelling back and fro. In the morning I had breakfast, and this was disappointing. A hot selection of beans and sausages was on the menu, and a selection of cereals and fruit. Not a great selection, I opted for some fruit and yoghurt, but these were tepid and at room temperature, as it seemed the cold plate was not working or hadn't been switched on. I appreciate that it is an express hotel, but it was only adequate for the reasons outlined. Would I stay here again ? I suppose, as long as I had a room to the rear of the hotel and away from the main road.

Room Tip: As for a room to the rear of the hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Papapilo,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. I am glad that you found our hotel well-presented and our hotel staff friendly.

I am sorry to hear though that not all aspects of your stay was satisfying, particularly the room condition and breakfast options. I have taken note of your comments and shared them with our management for review to make necessary actions to address these concerns.

We are looking forward to your next stay and give you the best hotel experience.

Best Regards,

Faith R
Case Manager
IHGCare
Jarrow
Reviewed 10 May 2014

A great place to stay for business or pleasure.It is centrally situated in Hull with an ample car park near Saint Stephens shopping Mall.There are many good local restaurants and masses of facilities are situated locally.The railway station is only a minutes walk away.Ample ,varied breakfast and a very helpful staff at hand.The one criticism is that the car park is poorly signposted otherwise a great stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David R C
Debbie H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feed back and I am delighted your stay was a good one, I can confirm that I am in talks with the local council regarding street signs for the car park, however I yet have to hear from them and feel your frustration on this matter.

Kind Regards
Berwick-upon-Tweed, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a university interview. I had a late book in at the hotel at 12am the man on the desk was very friendly and always had a smile on his face. My room was clean and had all the basics I needed. Location was good at the very centre so was easy to get to the university and all the shops. I did not get settled in and into bed till about 1:30am. I was suddenly woken up at 3am by a loud bang and noticed a huge crack in the corner of the wall reaching from the celling to half way down the wall. Next I was woken up at 6am when the fire alarm in my room went off for 5 seconds then stopped, it was odd as there was no smell of smoke and I am a non smoker. It was very annoying and I couldn't get back to sleep afterwards. Breakfast was great there was a wide variety of good and drink to chose from and utensils were clean.

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feed back and I am sorry to hear about the noise in which woke you up, I have enquired regarding the fire alarm and we have nothing listed for this date and no report from the fire panel to say it was activated, I have asked for a full investigation to be carried out including the company who looks after the fire security, but can assure you we have a full fire evacuation plan in the hotel which would be followed on every occasion of the fire alarm been set off.

London
Reviewed 2 May 2014

wanted to stay in somewhere interesting but was put off by the other reviews. This was basic but clean and comfortable and very accessible from the station. Felt safe for single woman traveler. Staff were very helpful.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feed back and I am pleased you find the hotel to be safe for women lone travellers, I do hope we an welcome you back soon