Well the good bits first.
Location is central. The hotel is new and is clean and everything works.
Now for the rest.
This place is portion control hotel style in the worst way. The hotel is utterly functional but manages to upgrade itself to penny pinching. First by design; smallish room. Smallish toilet cubicle. Smallish bathroom with no bath. (No ventilation btw- room steams up in seconds during a shower). Cheap loo paper. No loo brush. Basic toiletries are nailed to the wall. No wardrobe. No proper cupboard space (you'll live out of your suitcase here). One of those card slots so you can't accidentally leave the light on if you go out..etc etc etc. But it’s not just the building design.
The breakfast is in line and is a shocker. No effort is spared to save money at the expense of quality. Orange juice from a machine that’s not even concentrate - proper chilled dishwater. No choice of tea. Prepared fresh fruit is from a tin (mandarin oranges and grapefruit!). Horrible little pre-packed cheeses (from the fridge-sigh) and no cooked meats to go with them. Poor quality and choice of pastry (croissants & disgustingly soft and un-fresh pains au chocolate). And if the austerity of the ingredients isn't enough to be going on with the thought and service follows up in the same style. Lets put the butter in the fridge so the customer can't spread it for example
If you want some ‘proper’ food you can if you want to pay for it. They will sell you a bacon sandwich to eat at your un-wiped table @ £1.75 if you ask at reception (Yes. That’s right. Ask at reception). But you had best not leave that too late - my last day saw a right huff and puff performance from staff (Head shaking and watch gazing) when a bloke ordered one at 9.20. Breakfast shuts at 9.30 you see. And I mean 9.30.Don't arrive and 9.29 and expect a leisurely twenty minutes over your tinned oranges ‘cos they are going to be pulling the shutters over the buffet at 9.30 sharp. (God knows why when there is nothing cooking or spoiling).
This soulless, threadbare and machinelike functionality is complimented by the minimalist approach of the staff. No welcome. We arrived on hour before check in time. Asked if it’s possible to check in early and the answer was a curt 'No' even before I had finished my sentence. No smiles anywhere from reception or cleaning staff. The two staff dealing with breakfast looked like the hotel handyman and the night porter (saves on a waiter I suppose). They had no uniform, were dressed casually and entirely inappropriately for working in a kitchen and dealing with food. One looked as if they had just walked in off the street, the other as if he had just finished fixing the cistern. Poor hygiene this I’m afraid!
This is a new hotel with a lot to learn - I have stayed in a HI Express in Edinburgh which was really nice and would return to. Not here though. Left here thinking that the needs of the guests were a hindrance to the routine of the staff and the business of cutting costs.
Recommend you stay somewhere that values it’s customers and knows it’s business instead.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre hotel,is ideally located within the city centre, and offers 128 non smoking, air-conditioned bedrooms, each with flat screen colour TV with a variety of channels, FREE WI-FI , hairdryer and tea and coffee making facilities. The Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre is located next to the Hull train Station and directly linked to the St Stephen's shopping centre. The hotel offers chargeable on-site car parking with direct access to the hotel. All bedrooms, conference rooms and public areas are non smoking. The hotel is in walking distance of the KC Stadium, home of Premiership football club Hull City. The Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre hotel has a full service bar with two 42inch flat screens, a comfortable dining area which our guest can use, air conditioning and FREE WIFI access throughout the entire hotel. Companies such as Smith & Nephew, Kingston Communications and Reckitt Benckiser and the Hull Royal Infirmary are in the direct vacinity of the hotel. Air conditioned conference facilities are available. FREE WIFI is offered throughout the hotel. Four meeting rooms are available accommodating between 2-55 persons and benefit from natural daylight, air conditioning, Our 'Meet Smart package includes mineral water, tea and coffee, OHP & screen, flip chart and stationary. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Priceline, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre Hotel Kingston-Upon-Hull
- Express Kingston Upon Hull
- Holiday Inn Kingston-Upon-Hull
- Kingston-Upon-Hull Holiday Inn
- Express Hotel Hull