“Fantastic climb”
Review of Helvellyn

Ranked #10 of 392 things to do in Lake District
More attraction details
Owner description: This is England's 3rd highest mountain at 3,118 feet.
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We walked from glenridding to Helvellyn via striding edge and were treated to a fabulous climb. This is quite a challenging climb in parts but you are rewarded with stunning views. It was good to finally get to the top so we could look at where we came from. The descent down Swirral edge was easier and we went down to the Tarn so we could put our feet in the water to cool down.

One of the best walks we've ever done in the Lakes

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"steep descent"
"ice axes"

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Our walk plan was to park in Swirls Car park, walk through the woods, up raise beck, pass Grisdale tarn and up as I read this was much better for dogs . Unfortunately the pathway is closed between Swirls and Wythburn for Dangerous Timer Harvesting and is not due to reopen until January 2015. They say it is not possible to walk a loop from either car park without using the very dangerous A591 and to try to avoid walking a loop. This obviously stumped us, as with a dog (who is a rescue dog and doesn't have the greatest back legs) and didn't want to attempt the other way we had tried before. We instead drove down to the start of Raise beck, and parked up on the grass edge of the road. I would like to point out there would have been no way of walking down the A591, no pathway and cars/coaches speed round the corners, so we decided to do the walk but come back on ourselves.

Raise beck is fun, we found it hard but mostly because our legs were sore from doing a hike everyday that week, it is fairly steep, rocky, you need to take care and if with a dog, there are sheep, and you may need to think ahead where your dog should jump and get up . Lots of water for the dog, great little pools we were so tempted to just take a dip. Eventually Grisdale tarn comes into view and you take the left grassy path and up 'dollywaggon pike zig zags'. This is pretty hard work, but just take your time. Im very uneasy with heights so I had a walking pole just to help feeling secure and it helped alot. from there, there isn't any water for your dog so make sure you have a lot. Left hand side of everything from then on and you have pretty much made it. Much better route for when you are with your dog and still a really great climb up Helvellyn. I would like to add leave plenty of time for this walk if you are uneasy with heights, it took about 3 hours to get up there with a few drinking breaks for us and the dog, but on the way back down I was so slow, making sure my footing was right as I was nervous on the steep rocky bits so we took much longer coming back down.

4  Thank Kimmeea
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I had booked a guided walk along Striding Edge to Helvellyn in late-June 2014, but after reading about it and watching some unnerving looking YouTube videos and being knackered after climbing Scafell Pike the day before, I decided not to go. Add to this that in my home town London we don't do much hill-walking, preferring to take the lift up The Shard for our views.
However when I went across to the meeting point to tell the guide I wasn't coming on the trip, I did wear boots and my idea of perfect hiking gear - a wooly cardigan (try it, it really does breathe, is warm and repels light showers). He persuaded me to come. Now read on for the exciting and nearly tragic bit.
The hardest bit of the hike for me was the steep slog up towards the ridge. I was sweaty and short of breath. Something weird about me is that when the scrambling starts I get faster and start enjoying myself.
We went out onto to the rocky top of Striding Edge. Even the memorial plaque did not faze me. I was going along fine when I heard a cry and turned to see one of our small group literally bouncing off rocks as he fell. He was very fortunate in that he fell to the right side and his fall was broken by the path a little lower down. He was bleeding from a number of cuts including a head wound. His clothes were in shreds.
His legs were OK but obviously a head wound cannot be laughed off so our guide aborted the route and we went down the way we came to where the ambulance was waiting at Glenridding.
I was disappointed not to have been able to continue, but this experience shows that Striding Edge really is a dangerous place. If he had fallen to the left, that would almost certainly have been his lot, and he was very lucky not to have bounced over the path which ended his fall.
Yes, if you have a head for heights and are sure-footed you will enjoy the Edge as I was doing, but it is not the walk in the park that some make out.

4  Thank MylesAhead
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This is one of the better fells in the Lake District and well worth the effort. Plan for a 5-6 hour outing, especially if you take one of the longer routes on the way down. Taking the striding step route is probably the most enjoyable, but you should be aware that this involves some mild scrambles with some exposure, so some confidence in hill walking is needed

1  Thank michaelmoulsdale
See more reviews
Reviewed 8 June 2014

One of Lakeland's definitive itineraries for the hardened fell-walker. I first conquered Helvellyn at the age of 11 on a school trip and the Lake District bug bit. Since then I have returned to the mountain on many occasions and in all seasons but late spring on a sunny day, as I did last week, with bluebells still in flower among the growing bracken on the lower slopes, must be among the best times to go.

There are many trails to the top from virtually all directions but the most exciting must be the routes involving Striding Edge and Swirral Edge. I prefer an anticlockwise route from Glenridding taking in Catstye Cam before heading on to Swirral Edge and then clambering to the summit of Helvellyn itself. Dither on the top taking in magnificent views in all directions. Then head off down the eroded path east marked by a cairn at the southern end of the summit which leads on to Striding Edge.

As Terry B notes, there are paths to the sides avoiding the top ridge but the National Trust is obviously doing its best to avoid further erosion and has erected signs requesting visitors to stick to the ridge.

From the Hole in the Wall head down on the path to the right and take in Lanty's Tarn and Keldas (by kind permission of Patterdale Estates) before making it back to Glenridding.