“One Day Beginners Navigation Course”

More than Mountains
Ranked #49 of 126 Tours in Lake District
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are a small, friendly company that specialises in tailoring courses to perfectly fit your needs. We offer personalised tuition in rock climbing and map reading and also multi-activity days for families and friends. Our courses are based throughout the Lake District. Come and try rock climbing, navigation courses, gorge walking, winter mountaineering, abseiling or a guided walk.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 9 April 2018

Just completed a one day navigation course run by Jill. It was really good. Very informative and I learnt a lot. Jill was really patient and had a great teaching style, patience with a sense of humour. Will now put in to practice what we were taught and hopefully book on to the 2 day Intermediate course sometime in the future. Would definitely recommend this course/company to anyone and everyone who wants to learn the basics of map reading.

Jill C, Owner at More than Mountains, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. We are really glad you enjoyed your day. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"introduction"
"advanced"

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Nick was a perfect instructor for out 14 and 11 year old daughters. They grew in confidence and had a great time. They tried three different climbs and abseiled at the Bowderstone.

We did a morning which was three hours and felt like enough as climbing is quite strenuous for novices.

Jill C, Owner at More than Mountains, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. Really glad your daughters enjoyed their half day of rock climbing. Hope to see you all back again soon.

Reviewed 20 March 2018 via mobile

Introduction to navigation course led by Jill. “Bloody fantastic”!, it was a fantastic day. Jill is truly an expert and an excellent (tough but fair) teacher. I intend to practice what I learned with a view to booking the intermediate course.
Cannot recommend highly enough.

Jill C, Owner at More than Mountains, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. Really glad you enjoyed your day. We look forward to seeing you back again soon.

Reviewed 22 November 2017

My wife and I undertook the two day Intermediate Navigation course near Coniston on the weekend of 18 November 2017. The course was led by Jill who proved to be an excellent leader throughout the two days.

We decided to take the course to improve our navigation skills in preparation for our "Coast to Coast" walk next year (192 miles is quite far enough!).

We were a little apprehensive at the start of the course but were quickly put at ease by Jill who was very friendly and quickly disarmed us of our fears. Over the two days we were taught a range of map and compass reading skills to enable us to plan routes and safely navigate in the mountains. Jill also provided us with invaluable tips advice for staying safe in the mountains, including what to do in an emergency.

Whilst the subject matter of the course was serious, Jill managed to make it fun and informative at the same time and the two days passed very quickly. Undertaking the course has provided us with the confidence to safely navigate in difficult conditions and encouraged us to be more adventurous when planning our routes. We will certainly feel more confident on the Coat to Coast as a result of the course.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this course to anyone and would be confident that any of the courses offered by More than Mountains would be similarly useful and provide excellent value for money.

Jill C, Owner at More than Mountains, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. We are really glad you enjoyed the course. Hope you enjoy walking the Coast to Coast next year.

See more reviews
Reviewed 20 November 2017

I have just completed an excellent 2 day navigation course in the Lake District led by Jill. I highly recommend this course to anyone who wants to learn key navigational skills to make walking more adventurous. Jill was incredibly focused on imparting her enthusiasm and practical skills for navigating the landscape. A highlight for me was learning to take a compass bearing that I have the confidence to follow. General safety information in the mountains was also invaluable. I am surprised how much this short course has given me. I feel I have far greater access to the landscape and look forward to taking what I have learnt into my future walking plans.

Thank you very much for leaving such a lovely review. Have fun exploring further afield with your new skills.