“Beginners Navigation Skills”

More than Mountains
Ranked #49 of 126 Tours in Lake District
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are a small, friendly company that specialises in tailoring courses to perfectly fit your needs. We offer personalised tuition in rock climbing and map reading and also multi-activity days for families and friends. Our courses are based throughout the Lake District. Come and try rock climbing, navigation courses, gorge walking, winter mountaineering, abseiling or a guided walk.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Thank you Jill for a great day on the beginners navigation course. I was a complete beginner and this course has given me the confidence to venture out on my own. The group was small so we had plenty of opportunity to practice and Jill was very knowledgeable and relaxed ..which made the day great fun as well as informative..i would highly recommend this course.

Jill C, Owner at More than Mountains, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you very much for writing a review. Small group size is something that is very important for us so I am glad you felt the benefits. Hope you enjoy exploring the countryside with your new skills.

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"introduction"
"advanced"

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My boyfriend and I did a one-day beginners navigation skill course and we were very satisfied. My boyfriend was a total beginner and enjoyed it very much. I am quite used to read maps and hike on the hills but I still learnt A LOT of things I didn't know and this has increased my confidence. Our instructor Jill was extremely experienced and a very likeable person. The group was small, which I liked because we all had the opportunity to practice our newly-learnt skills and asked all the questions we wanted. It was not only a useful course but also a very enjoyable day. We intend to book more activities with them. I would highly recommend this company.

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. It was lovely to meet you both and we are very pleased that you both enjoyed the day. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 14 August 2018

Just a brilliant day for all of us. This was the highlight of our holiday. We were all pushed and challenged to a thoroughly enjoyable extent as we trekked in our waterproofs up the flow in the Langdales, absolutely sodden! From climbing a roped rockface, to jumping full length into bubbling ghyll pools. The kids were totally energised and want to do it all again - so do Mum and Dad. Nick is a very calm professional who knew what the kids would be capable of and we felt more than safe in his hands. We'll be back.

Jill C, Owner at More than Mountains, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2018

Thank you so much for the lovely review. We are really glad you all had such a great time. Looking forward to seeing you all again soon.

Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

My friend Sam and I booked a two day private course with the intention of learning the skills necessary to move on to multi pitch climbing and also be guided up Troutdale Pinnacle.
The weekend was everything we hoped for and more...
Day one was an excellent instructional introduction to multi pitch and Nick’s calm, patient and thorough approach was exactly what we needed. And the fact that Nick had spent some time with Mountain Rescue was a nice little nugget of information I was happy to carry with me, I don’t mind admitting ha ha. A full day learning all about rope and stance management, topped off with a lesson on abseiling out of trouble in the event of a storm or injury etc.
Day two was quite simply an adventure of a lifetime I’ll never forget...not only was Nick enthusiastically happy to guide us up Troutdale Pinnacle but he kept a running commentary of instruction going the whole time, making sure we got the most out of our two days.
I cannot recommend this company highly enough and would like to add an extra thanks to Jill for going above and beyond and searching out a climbing partner for me a few months back when I was temporarily partnerless...thanks again folks, loved every minute.

Jill C, Owner at More than Mountains, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2018

Thank you so much for the lovely review Jim. We are so glad you both had a great weekend. Good luck with the climbing and we hope to see you again some time.