All reviews homemade jams tray bakes great water pressure car park lake district honesty bar single room b bs parking on site excellent place to stay four poster little touches home made enjoyable stay looking forward to our next visit new owners rooms are lovely
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I don’t tend to write TA reviews despite reading plenty, but felt I should for such a great place. I recently stayed here for a weekend in early August 2013 with my girlfriend as a base from some lengthy walking following the great reviews read on here. And we were certainly not disappointed! I have stayed in some lovely B&B over many years of travelling but this has to be up there with the best of them. A real quality B&B beautifully decorated! Excellent location. Beautiful basement breakfast area which matches their top quality breakfasts. A lovely relaxing fire engine themed bar area (though we didn't get time to sample, but will next time) as well as a relaxing living room area at front of B&B. We had room 5 which is a four poster bedroom upstairs at front of property. Despite some comments from others on here, we did not find it particularly noisy from traffic at all and I'm a very light sleeper. Yes there was a little noise as we went to bed around midnight as people obviously drove home after a weekend night out, but nothing after that. So would never say it was noisy or make me want a different room. As we are very keen walkers and love the Lakes, this B&B and Ambleside has now become our chosen base/location for future visits. Can’t wait to visit again very soon for some Autumn/Winter weekends! Oh and nearly forgot to mention the lovely hosts Paul and Vicky. Very friendly and welcoming and interested to chat about your plans for the day while at breakfast. Will be back very soon!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We stayed at Elder Grove for 6 nights in August using it as a base for Lake District fell walking. Room 3 (at the quiet back of the property) was small but had a bath and shower (combined) with loads of hot water and very fast filling taps. The room had two single beds, a wardrobe with lots of hangers, tea and coffee making facilities, a fan, a hair drier, a stack of magazines and even a tray to use for dirty walking boots. Downstairs were two lounges for guest use - one a bar area and the other a normal lounge. We valued several things about this place:
Excellent fast free Wi-Fi
Free tea and coffee all day if you wanted - brought on a tray!
Superb breakfasts - including vegetarian options, fresh fruit, croissants, home made bread, jam and marmalade and even peanut butter!
Environmental awareness: Paul and Vicky, the owners, have won several awards for sustainability by recycling rubbish, encouraging less waste and so on.

We paid £516 for 6 nights in total making our daily rate £86. It was certainly good value for what we received.
The only downside is the rather cramped car parking down a ramp at the side of the property. My Ford Mondeo is a big car, and without guidance I would never have got out of the car parking spaces in the morning. On one evening I parked around the corner on the road to avoid concerns.
Overall - one of the friendliest, most efficiently run and excellent bed and breakfasts I have ever used. Paul and Vicky make a delightful management team, answering questions, suggesting outings, and being ever willing to help out and make tea for you! Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back will be quietest. However the road at the front was not busy!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2013

From all the reviews we read, we expected something very special. In reality it's a very good B&B and an ok place to stay for a couple of nights as you travel through the Lake District.

The room we had booked with the four poster bed was noisy from the traffic and so we asked to move. We stayed in a far smaller room but still paid or the bigger expensive one.

The breakfasts are great.

Room Tip: We originally booked a room with a four poster bed which when we arrived we discovered, it overlooked the main busy road, with the constant noise of traffic. We asked to move and were given the choice of a couple of rooms, one of which we thought was cosy and we stayed in that room. It was however on the small side even though we still paid for the bigger superior room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Eldergrove, Owner at Elder Grove, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2013

Hi Firstly I am we are pleased you enjoyed your breakfast with us we proud of what we offer and have once again achieved a breakfast award from visit Britain. I would like to clarify to trippers that our large four poster rooms which are advertised on our own site and booking agents as being on the front of the building are the same price as the Quieter King bedded rooms at the back of the house that overlook Loughrigg and had you moved to a cheaper room would of course refunded you the difference. We also have a trip adviser offer if you book directly you and book a cheaper standard double room you can upgrade to either a four poster or king bedded room.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights from 27th July to 29th July and we will happily go back here again and again. To begin with the onsite parking in Ambleside is always a bonus and then the very friendly welcome we received on our arrival gave us a very pleasing start to our stay. The room was nicely decorated, ample size and I really liked and appreciated the little touches that had been put into the room (especially the Herdy mugs!) We thought this B and B was too good to be true but would the breakfast satisfy us throughout our fell walks and adventures in the Lakes? Well YES it did, the cereals, fruit, juices were a great start and then the full cumbrian was delicious, finished off with toast and homemade jams and marmalades- lovely! We were also asked if we would like more tea or coffee and toast. The owners also seemed happy to have a chat with us about the different activities we were doing and just a general chit chat. It was a thoroughly enjoyable stay and I didn't actually want to leave. Looking forward to my next visit already. Thank you very much.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We stayed here for two nights in June and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I can't really fault Elder Grove, the room was nice, parking was convenient, Paul and Vicky were very friendly and helpful but the highlight had to be the breakfasts! This was our first stay but we would definitely come back.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple