“High quality food at a fair price”

Regent Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #46 of 122 Restaurants in Ambleside
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 April 2010

Certainly not the most amazing restaurant in terms of atmosphere but if you're staying at the hotel it's worth checking the restaurant out as the food quality is really high. The bar next door is good for after the meal as it has nice sofas and a good choice of whiskeys.

1  Thank noughtpointzero1966

Reviewed 2 October 2008

We had a meal at this hotel a couple of days ago. We were staying near Ambleside and decided to have a treat - dinner at what we were told 'a very nice restaurant'.

The welcome - most warm, the table - the corner snug, the menu - mmmm sounds delicious, the price - a set menu for £27.50 plus supplements for everything, the wine - got lost on the way, the food - oh dear.

From the bar staff not understanding what a gin and tonic consists of, to the bottle of wine we ordered to go with our meal arriving just in time to celebrate the dessert, to the completely tasteless food, a completely overpriced disapointing experience. Our meal for four people with a bottle of wine came to £160, had the quality of the food matched the standard of the description on the menu we would have given this restaurant well earned praise but sadly the whole experience will not be repeated in hurry.

To end our night the promise that a taxi would be available to take us back to our accommodation fell foul, with non available till tomorrow! However a lovely Hungarian waitress came to our rescue, so we would like to praise the restaurant for their taxi service.

Reviewed 16 July 2008

My wife and I have been staying at the hotel off and on for the last 18 years, but this weekend will be our last. Somewhere over the last 2 or 3 years they have completely lost your way. The meal we had on Saturday night was possibly the worst meal we have ever had. The menu is boring (melon balls in 2008?) and just strange – tagliatelle as a starter ? My wife ordered Duck, which tasted strange, almost like Liver, but the worst meal was my Mansergh Hall Lamb cutlets. They arrived at the table and were so over cooked I could hardly cut them. When I did cut them they had no taste at all. I complained to the waiter who exchanged them. The next ones were even more over cooked than the first. I complained to what I assumed to be the manager who implied it was my fault for not requesting them pink! However, I was not asked either time and assume Lamb (which is a delicate meat) to be cooked pink. At which point he muttered, “I didn’t cook it” and walked off ! They looked and tasted as if they had been cooked mid afternoon and kept in a warm oven for several hours. If I was the farmer who reared the lambs I would be absolutely mortified that you had so utterly and completely ruined his produce. To follow we had fresh fruit salad, which was basically apples and pears – with HALF a strawberry. Where were the blueberries, raspberries, and seasonal produce ? Absolutely terrible and completely overpriced.

1  Thank SteveCayman76