“Scrumptious”

Ranked #6 of 122 Restaurants in Ambleside
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 10 May 2014

If you are on a diet skip this place. The food is to die for and the servings are generous. An excellent menu and good wines make this a must visit. Great atmosphere and top drawer service.

1  Thank Dave M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,041)

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stopped overnight in Ambleside and booked a table at Mathews Bistro after seeing the reviews on trip adviser, and we were not disappointed. Great chicken Ceaser salad to start and our main meals were lovely - good freshly cooked and succulent vegetables. Great service and nice quiet atmosphere. Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We ate here on Good Friday as part of our Easter break in Ambleside. The food was very tasty and well presented and the service was excellent. Would definitely eat here again.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We have visited Matthew's Bistro on previous visits to Ambleside and find it just gets better. The Lakeland Lamb Henry is still my favourite but I had a fresh sea-bass cooked with garlic and ginger this time which was delicious. My husband also tried the fillet steak stroganoff which was lovely too. Portions are generous but we always have a starter and pudding - had homemade chicken liver pâté which was really good and for pudding their crime brûlée is my favourite, although all the puddings are all good and if you're too full for a big pudding they have a really good selection of good quality ice cream. Unpretentious, friendly and welcoming - I am happy to recommend this place.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

We visited here during a weekend break, but we soon wished we hadn't. The food was really poor, completely unseasoned and tasteless. The black pudding starter in tempura batter should have been mouthwatering but it was like eating cardboard..no taste at all. For main course my steak was just ok and my mustard mash was lumpfree but hubby's seafood stew was the worst of the lot, it was full of fish bones, heads and tails! Unsurprisingly, we didn't stay for dessert.

On a positive note, the staff were welcoming and cheerful but that's the only nice thing I can say I'm afraid.

1  Thank Unny