“Generous portions & tasty food left us feeling satisfied”
Review of Matthew's Bistro

Matthew's Bistro
Ranked #9 of 117 Restaurants in Ambleside
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Oop North, England
“Generous portions & tasty food left us feeling satisfied”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Four of us ate from the mid-evening dinner menu (7pm onwards) and had 2 courses each.

Starters were: Soup of the Day (leek & potato) which was thick and tasty; black pudding - 2 thick slices of pudding the size of a burger! (a meal in itself) and chicken liver pâté which came with plenty of toast and was very tasty.

Mains were: Chicken Stroganoff; steak; Matthew's Chicken and Belly Pork. All generous portions and delicious.

Only one of us could manage a dessert: Crème Brûlée which was delicious.

£18.95 per person for 2 courses plus a bottle of wine meant that there wasn't much change from £100 so not a cheap eat by any stretch of the imagination. But, on the whole, good value for money.

• Visited August 2014

Wigan, United Kingdom
“Surprisingly disappointing”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This appears to be a popular restaurant with a well priced and varied menu, however, the food is not fresh. I ordered the fish cake starter and after one bite discovered they were still frozen in the centre! I was offered an alternative but was so put off that I decided not to take up the offer or to stay for my main course. I did try to leave without making too much fuss (the restaurant was full and I wanted to try to avoid drawing attention to my table) but the manager/ owner appeared annoyed rather than apologetic. As i was leaving the couple on the table next to me were being asked if they would like coffee to which they replied "we haven't had our meal yet!". I would not recommend this restaurant.

Visited August 2014
4 Thank David_and_JanetL
“Great food ”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We could not get in here on Thursday eve so tried again early on Friday and we were so glad we did. Friendly service, great good and very generous portions. They do an early eve menu as well as main menu - something for everyone.
Would highly recommend.

Coventry, United Kingdom
“Called back after a previous visit two years ago. Still good”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The resturants standard have not changed since my last visit two years ago, that was quiet time in oct, this was very busy time and was still an excellent meal and service, the two girls handle everything so well.

• Visited August 2014
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Great food!”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Really welcoming owners and excellent food! I got in early as I could tell it was going to get busy. I had the beef bourguignon which was cooked to perfection. Good portion sizes too!

Visited July 2014