“Surpassed Expectations”

Price range: US$8 - US$24
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Situated in the heart of the Lake District, the Doi Intanon is Ambleside's premier Thai Restaurant. Since 2000 we have strived to achieve the finest in Thai Cuisine both locally and further afield. Please book early to avoid disappointment.
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We booked Doi Intanon (7 of us) at short notice (Lucy 4 decided to shut down during the week!) but they squeezed us in brilliantly and we were so glad they did - we went expecting 4-star and came out with 5-star reviews! The food was authentic and delicious, the service attentive, the price acceptable and the overall experience fantastic.

1  Thank TheDoctorG
There are newer reviews for Doi Intanon Thai Restaurant

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Not quite as hot in preparation as Americanized Thai, but extremely tasty. My husband had the Phad Khing Goong, which was milder than he expected, and I had the red curry with shrimp. It had a delicious sauce,and he preferred the richness of my choice over his. They don't have fresh spring rolls or brown rice as a choice, which most upper scale Thai restaurants offer nowadays, so can't give them full marks, but definitely above average quality overall. Recommended!

1  Thank AlfalfaAnchorageAK
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Simply, we called into this restaurant early on a Bank Holiday Sunday evening - we thought we had been fortunate to be seated at the final available table in the next 3.5hours; we were wrong.

An attractive interior, a friendly front of house gent and an appealing menu each, and all, belie the fact that this was our single worst experience in a restaurant.

We were hungry after a walk so the fact the food arrived within five minutes of ordering was a surprise, but not unwelcome. The fact that in this minimal cooking time, one of the two dishes had managed to become burnt was a surprise, and unwelcome.

As a moderately shy & retiring individual, in most situations, the aforementioned dish was begun without comment. Around a fifth of it was eaten, together with the rice before the overwhelming unpleasantness of the taste prevailed.

I will admit that we made a mistake in not seeking to complain or raise a fuss, as regards the burnt dish, immediately as it appeared on our table. Rest assured, we learned an indelible lesson on this.

When our plates came to be removed - noticing the barely touched meal - the waitress inquired as to whether everything was satisfactory. We told her that the meal in question was significantly burnt and pointed out areas to this effect. We observed as she scuttled away with the plates and immediately informed a more senior member of staff (whom I believe to be the/an owner of the restaurant).

Ten minutes or so elapsed; we received no apology, no dialogue and having agreed between ourselves that that meant they would probably therefore merely reflect their acknowledgement of the sub-standard dish on the bill, we requested this.

There was no recognition of our comment, a full bill arrived. At this point, we felt somewhat aggrieved at our treatment and engaged the senior member of staff; asserting that we felt it strange and rude that no recognition whatsoever, verbally or otherwise, had been made of our dissatisfaction.

The highlight of a two-minute encounter with this lady was:

"...have you eaten this dish before?"

"Yes, it's my favourite. I've eaten it many times..."

"Well, I've been eating it for 50 years...this is how it is made."

Never mind that she didn't look at the offending meal, didn't taste and didn't smell the offending meal - this was the first and hopefully only time either I or my companion had encountered or witnessed a member of restaurant staff challenge a customer as to who has eaten food more often. I miss out a couple of other delights but it was a special moment, that will remain with us for some time.

For exactitude, I should explain that a revised bill, with the offending dish absent, was hand-delivered - with a glare and a small but audible thump - shortly after our dialogue ended.

I shall continue to eat the same dish, as I have at every visit to a new Thai restaurant to me for the past 8 or 9 years; I sincerely hope and expect that it will never, literally or metaphorically, taste as awful and linger as long as the one I once tried at Doi Intanon, Ambleside.

8  Thank GT1179
Reviewed 30 May 2014

There are 2 Thai restaurants in Ambleside. I'll review both. Both had a wide selection of items on the menu as do most Thai restaurants. The best I can say is that the food was typical Thai = tasty, an appropriate amount of heat (you get to chose, more or less), and a reasonable portion. At both places you have to order rice separately, and at about $3.50 for a smallish bowl, it seemed a bit much. This restaurant was is a nice setting (old church?) in a quaint and busy town in the Lake District. We didn't need a reservation and the food came relatively quickly. The servers were pleasant. We'd go again if in Ambleside again.

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Her booking mishap was our gain; we booked last minute at this lovely little restaurant in the centre of Ambleside based on recommendations, having been let down by our previous booking some weeks before our holiday in the Lakes.
An early evening meal, booked in for 530 with 4 adults and 3 children. From start to finish, a Delightful evening with great food, wine and service.
Lovely position, we were seated in the window; a great spot for people watching, especially as the rain poured and the people of
Ambleside flocked for cover!
One of the main meals was adopted to please the 3
Children (asked for a v mild green chicken curry) and we also ordered them a side of noodles and rice, which with one main adult Meal between them was enough food and ended up being
The most reasonably priced and tastiest meal of the break for the children. There were some half portions of fried rice and noodle dishes specified as suitable for children also on the menu and a booster seat was provided for the youngest.
My pad thai dish was amazing and my partner thoroughly enjoyed his jungle curry- super hot but not for him! Left with happy tums and would return!

1  Thank SallyB1978