“Unmissable”

Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Wales
“Unmissable”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

This is a fantastic restaurant. We ate here for lunch on 15th August and it was the best meal we had had on quite a foody trip. Set lunch was incredible value - £68 for two inc 3 glasses of wine. If you are in the area you really have to go. Food is light and a taste sensation. Should have several Michelin stars

KESWICK
“Absolutely Brilliant”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

My wife and I met my brother and his partner last night at the restaurant for a meal and we all thoroughly enjoyed all the three courses that we had. I did expect it to be good, as I have eaten chef Ryan Blackburns food several times while he was at The Cottage in the Woods in Cumbria, however it was much better than good. The restaurant is smallish, but on the plus side you get personal service, on the negative, you will need to book well in advance to get a table. William Wordsworth had a desk in part of the restaurant. It is fine dining in a relaxed envirement. His menu is small, but it changes with availability of fresh seasonal food. Ryan's brother works in the restaurant with other servers and all are very friendly and helpful, explaining the dishes and answering any questions.
It is a bit of a drive for us from Braithwaite, but we cannot wait to go back.

1 Thank Stewart_Tauber
Preston, United Kingdom
“Ambleside's hidden gem”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

A superb lunch. We were fortunate that the new menu had just been released and we enjoyed the tasting menu which up until today was only available in the evenings. It was absolutely gorgeous, every course was bursting with taste and freshness. They deserve to be number one in Ambleside and probably would be number one in Cumbria. Overall a great place to dine.

1 Thank Lapwings
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
“Absolutely amazing lunch with great friends”
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

The service from Craig was impeccable. Every dish was presented beautifully and he introduced each dish with an explanation of the ingredients.
We started with a Bon Bon of black pudding with Cumberland sauce devine. Followed by an amuse bouche of cold consummee of tomatoes which was most unusual and very tasty
I had as a starter of Cartmel Valley smoked salmon Chicory and apple salad the salmon lwas fragrantly smokey and a good portion which was complimented by the chicory and apple beautifully.
For my main I had the Cod loin with potted shrimp charred cauliflower and spiced mead it was cooked perfectly with a hint of curry in the sauce very very good. My husband had the Furness wood pigeon
Red wine spelt, chicory and pickled cherries cooked pink and very gamey he loved it. I tried a piece and it was yummy but I'm glad I'd had the cod.
The whole lunch was very good value for money and we thoroughly enjoyed our meals. All our party of six left very happy and will be going again as soon as we can. Would thoroughly recommend this restaurant.

1 Thank Georgina L
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“The tasting menu”
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I spent three hours here slowly working through the tasting menu. My favourite dishes were the deer, which was extremely tender and full of flavour, the black pudding bonbon, the mackerel cooked just in a lemon based sauce and the sauce for the cod course. My wife liked most the fruit and light custard course. I also enjoyed a glass of the house red (the French choice), which is not always the case.

The waiter, who jointly owns the restaurant with his brother the chef, and the waitress were both very helpful in explaining the dishes.

1 Thank Stewart G