“Did not inform them that one of our party could not have dairy, no problem they accommodated them with great alternative”

The Old Stamp House Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 129 Restaurants in Ambleside
Price range: US$35 - US$65
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We went for lunch to celebrate a birthday, and it was really well worth the journey on an extremely wild day wind rain the lot.
We had never been before and we were all terribly impressed with all aspects.
The setting, the service, the food and the very reasonable price for such fine cuisine.
Highly recommended.
All would be 5 stars if the site would allow me to rate them.

1  Thank Anthony Barnsle... S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,124)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Myself and three friends visited this wonderful restaurant back in June on a trip to the Lake district. As someone who suffers from gluten and lactose intolerance, finding places to eat can be difficult, but I emailed ahead of time and the restaurant let me know that this wouldn't be a problem.

We were greeted by extremely friendly and knowledgeable staff. My other 3 friends decided on the tasting menu, and as I suffer from intolerance's I knew that I would not be able to have the same (usually the whole party must take part in the tasting menu). I explained to the waiter that I did not mind just having a 3 course meal that could arrive whenever, as I did not wish to ruin my other 3 friends experience.
The waiter said this would be fine, but what I did not expect was the effort of the team in the kitchen to create a tasting menu for me on the fly. It was absolutely exceptional, and was brilliant to be able to partake in the tasting menu with my friends. The wine was also top draw.

All in all, could not fault it. The price, the atmosphere, the food & wine. Outstanding.
I look forward to making another visit the next time I'm in Ambleside.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Myself and my good friend visited the lakes this week for a few days and had heard good reviews about the restaurant. The first night we landed we were excited to make our reservation at 7pm to receive a call from a pompous gentleman at 7.10 asking us why we were not on time.. we’d explained that we were slightly lost but on our way! As we arrived the same gentleman took our coats as we confirmed our reservation, he’d taken it upon himself to let us know again that we were ten minutes late, entirely our fault but this instantly made us feel like we shouldn’t be there. Although the food was fabulous we were made to feel uncomfortable throughout the courses. I asked for a long drink to accompany my meal, the restaurant is very proud of its extensive wine menu but I asked for a wine with lemonade, my gosh the daggers I recieved from the waiter were crucifying, “surely you will want the house wine with that” I instantly dipped my head like a naughty school girl.. at least my friend saw the funny side of it! It came to the end of the evening and we’d spent just under £100 and as I slid my card out of my wallet the waiter placed the card machine in my friends direction that obviously looked like she has more money then me and seemed surprised when the younger, blonder white wine lambrini girl had the bank balance to pay and flung the card machine my way with wide open eyes.. after payment was made we recieved a lovely big smile we’d have loved throughout the evening as oppose to the end which was shortly followed by a very fake conversation regarding our stay and why we were visiting for him not to even look at us when we were offered a response! We quickly shut up and made our exit! I half expected a ruler across my knuckles, we will not be visiting again.

Reviewed 6 October 2018 via mobile

Once again a brilliant evening. The 8 course tasting menu is superb with local ingredients prepared, presented and cooked expertly. Shrimps, crab, scallops and turbot were very well cooked
The wine list has expanded: the wine flight had unusual but well chosen wines- Mercury was worth ordering an additional glass
Service impeccable
Michelin take note ( please)

1  Thank hem0116
Reviewed 5 October 2018

Hidden behind and underneath a Greggs, this is truly a hidden gem that everyone should try to sample.

The food is all local, all very fresh, and cooked to perfection from the amazing team.

A great evening with my family. I will always value the service and food here.