Thorneyfield Guest House
The Fisherbeck(Ambleside)
The Regent Hotel(Ambleside)
The Samling Hotel(Windermere)
View Hotel
All reviewsfamily roombiscuitscooked breakfastprivate bathroomsingle roomfacing the main roadlovely hostsparking permityogurtvisit amblesidefriendly coupleexcellent showernice toiletriesbeds were very comfortablestayed for nightspreservesfluffy towels
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We go at least twice a year to the Lake district and have been returning to Alison's and Alan's B&B year in year out. Both are very friendly and help you with whatever they can. The breakfast is fabulous, fruit juices, fresh fruits, cereals, yoghurt, marmalade, croissants, toast and the fabulous full English breakfast.
We always ask for a bedroom at the backside of the house, the front side might be a bit noisy in the early night (people going home after a night in the pub).
Alison can give you a parking permit, if you ask her, so you can park at one of the parkings in Ambleside (for free).
Bedroms are clean and the ones at the back of the house are very spacious. Everything is provided for, shampoo, body lotion, very soft towels. There is a fridge, coffee, tea, biscuits, TV with DVD player, DVD's are available, radio. Very good double bed and the rooms are all refurbished.
This is certainly the place to go to.
Ableside itself is a very nice little town, with several restaurants, places were you can buy lunch (the picnic box). A good not too expensive restaurant is "Todds" not far from the big parking.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back side of the house are quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Belgy11
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We (me + wifey) wanted a couple of days away and like the lake district, so I found this B+B online. We arrived Thursday about 3.30 pm. Alison answered the door and showed us to our room; No 2. It had a double bed and a single bed; small fridge; dressing table; wardrobe and bed side table. Small digital TV with DVD player and a selection of DVD's available on the landing.

The en-suite was very small but perfectly adequate; toilet, hand basin + walk-in shower.

The bed was very comfortable.

I was given a private parking space for my car around the back.

We were pretty much left to our own devises which suited us, but I am sure if we had needed anything we would have been helped.

Breakfast was very nice. There was cereal, fruit, yoghurt; fruit juice; but I went for the full English both days. A nice big pot of tea too.

We ate out in the evening + I would recommend Matthews Bistro which is on the same road as this B+B, just up a bit. (see my review). For a nice pub with entertainment most nights try the Unicorn.

For a good clean B+B with good breakfast; you won't go wrong with this place.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank COLIN T
Reviewed 18 July 2011

To look on the positive side, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was quite impressive, although it was not possible to lay down in the bath. And Thorneyfield is situated very conveniently close to the bus stops on nearby Kelsick Rd.
But the single room I occupied was not very comfortable. The chair was a canvas camping chair and there was no table or shelf to put a cup of tea or glass of wine on, so I had to put my drinks on the floor, and was worried about spilling them. The room overlooked a very busy main road, so there was a lot of traffic noise. And I was woken early both mornings I stayed by noisy plumbing. The fruit salad for breakfast was excellent, but I was disappointed that, on both days that I stayed, my fried egg had a broken yolk.
Alison seemed very nice and quite friendly (I didn't meet Alan), but I'm afraid I won't be returning.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank greenwoman62
Reviewed 28 May 2011

Stayed for 4 nights at the B & B and Alison couldn't have been nicer. Very welcoming, fab breakfast, lovely rooms and in the centre of Ambleside. Couldn't have been better.

Will definately be back and will be recommending to friends and family :)

Has a very handy fridge in the room.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Lefty73
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Alison and Alan run a gem of a b&b which delivers all you would want; the rooms are clean, have great facilities and good views and Thorneyfield is right in the middle of Ambleside. Alison's breakfasts are delicious and her and Alan can't do enough for you; surely the Lake District's hidden gem, just great vfm.

• Stayed: April 2011