“Fantastic meal - good sized portions”
Review of Jade Garden - CLOSED

Jade Garden
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
“Fantastic meal - good sized portions”
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

We visited here whilst on holiday in Ambleside and are very glad we did.

We reserved a table and would recommend others do as we witnessed people turned away due to no tables available .

We shared a quarter duck to start with pancakes and sauce and had plenty of meat and sauce which was fresh and tasty.

For main I had a chicken curry which was both delicious and a generous sized portion. Not too hot and spicy at all but very tasty with a plentiful thick sauce.

My partner had sweet and sour king prawn and there were plenty of large sized king prawns and plenty of sauce.

Service was efficient but did not hurry you.

Drinks were priced as you would expect to pay in any restaurant.

The interior was clean and presentable. I would recommend a visit.

1 Thank Tiggerandfish

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Loughborough, United Kingdom
“Accomodating”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Called in here just before 10 pm on a August Thursday evening after a nightmare 5 hour journey up the M6. Although it was nearly closing time the owner took one look at 3 fully grown men with rumbling stomachs and a tired look upon their faces and took pity. She very graciously agreed to stay open and serve us provided we only had main courses. Deal.
I had the special sweet and sour and egg fried rice with prawn crackers and all washed down with a cold Chinese lager. Very nice.
Looking forward to going back soon when we have a bit more time to enjoy a meal.
Thank you for your hospitality.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank SLLough
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Nice but could be excellent”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I’m sure this place used to be bigger but maybe just my imagination.
Our party of four came in at around 7:30 and understandably had to wait while empty tables were cleared.
The cheerful waitress gave us menus to look through and the wait was only about ten minutes.
Once seated we decided on our food & waited……I realised people that were seated after us were having their orders taken – I think it was just a mistake & we had fallen below the radar. Just as I was about to ask, our waitress suddenly appeared and after some minor communication problems we ordered four mains & drinks.
As there was only two waitresses on it seemed that they were spending a lot of time setting up tables for new diners rather than serving current hungry customers – a delicate balance I know as we’d been waiting diners but now we were hungry customers.
All four of us wanted rice & often you can just get ‘rice for four people’ in a bowl but we got four individual bowls of rice – nothing wrong with this, it’s just more items on an already overcrowded table.
Drinks arrived which were all fine – nice Chinese beer, followed by our food which was plentiful and enjoyable.
We all definitely enjoyed our meals but there is a certain spark missing here which I can’t put my finger on that makes it just somewhere to get fed rather than a nice dining experience.
It might be the lack of serving staff which means a wait for food & watching two girls rushing to clear tables, set up tables, take orders & deliver food. It’s absolutely not their fault but maybe detracts from a relaxing diner experience.
I think this place could be really great as lots of people love Chinese food but the dining competition in Ambleside is huge and I don’t think they are making the most of their niche while the newcomers such as the recent Thai restaurants go out of their way to interact with their customers.
Pity Mrs 0L doesn't like Thai food :)
Not wishing to end on a negative note, we all enjoyed the meal and didn't feel hungry an hour later :)

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank 0ff_Line
Brechin, United Kingdom
“Nice food”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Didn't have reservations so had to wait for a while. The service was quick and with such big helpings that we had to ask for a doggy bag! Very tasty food as well. A bit on the expensive side but considering it is a holiday town, I guess you have to expect it.

Visited July 2014
“Great meal ”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

After having a terrible meal the day before in kendal we decided to go to Ambleside for a meal back from doing scafell pike and the service was very friendly and the meal was fantastic could of stayed there all night

Worth every penny