“Never again”

Price range: US$6 - US$16
Cuisines: British, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: We are independent craft bakers with a cafe and rooms. Established in 1975 we are a family business situated in the heart of Ambleside serving hearty breakfasts, delicious espresso based coffees, wholesome lunches and indulgent afternoon teas as well as all the esentials for a packed lunch on the fells or by the lake. Everything baked on site daily. We use locally sourced ingredients where possible - local butcher & milkman and free range eggs as well as flour from a Cumbrian miller and tea from Farrers in Kendal. Our best sellers are Apple Pie (spiced or plain) and bath buns.'Baking at its best in Lakeland'
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I ordered a sausage and egg butty due to it's rubbery texture it was obvious to me that the (so called fried egg) had been cooked and reheated.
My friend who is coeliac was told previously there was plenty of choice in the glutton free range, unfortunately this was not so. The menus was seriously lacking and unclear as to the number of dishes available to her. Staff did not have adequate knowledge of what it means to be gluten free. If she had taken at face value the (so called) gluten free options, she could have become seriously as a consequence. On paying the bill I asked for a breakdown of the prices of meals ordered, only to find they were trying to charge for items neither asked for nor received.

We will not be. Recommending this eating establishment to anyone.

1  Thank Gill B

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

A pitstop for pecking children after a long walk; just what the Dr ordered. Great food and lovely sociable space. You must try the yummy cakes - the caramel and cream donut was delightful :)

Reviewed 25 May 2014

The food is always amazing here - on the pricey side (£1 for a takeaway cookie!), but gorgeous - so we keep on coming back.

Lovely bread, sweet stuff lots of choice, and all yummy - and pies also delicious. Favourite probably the flapjack - buttery, gooey - gorgeous! Sandwiches are the best we've found for takeaway in Ambleside, so is always my first choice for a 'walker's lunch'.

Eating in is similarly brilliant on the food side (love their wedges!), though the service is often terrible - even when they're quiet, it can take an age to get someone's attention to order, and whilst orders usually come pretty quickly, paying can also be a patience trying experience.

For us, it's sort of become part of the place's charm - odd, but! I'd almost be disappointed if I went and the service was spot-on.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

My husband had been here before, so when we were in Ambleside for a short break he suggested we had lunch. This was on a not too busy Tuesday lunchtime. Our waitress appeared fairly soon after we had sat down, and was a little brusque when asking what we wanted-hadn't had time to look! She kindly agreed to let us have a bit longer to choose. Our order was taken soon after without a smile or any pleasantries. The food arrived quite quickly which was good, and I have to say the hot chocolate was very good. My "salad bowl" was the smallest thing I've seen in a long time , presented in a small cereal bowl with a knife and fork. The bowl was too small to be able to eat what was a very average salad easily with a knife and fork. My husband chose the sausage bap which he found lacking in flavour and equally disappointing. We opted to leave to get dessert elsewhere!

1  Thank Elaine H
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I had an excellent homemade pie and salad for lunch. Not quite so sure about the homemade lemonade - didn't quite taste as good. Also bought an excellent bath bun and pork pie to take away, which I ate on the train back to London.