“So many pluses...... But...”
Review of The Apple Pie

The Apple Pie
Ranked #1 of 1 Bakeries in Ambleside
Price range: US$6 - US$16
Cuisines: British, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: We are independent craft bakers with a cafe and rooms. Established in 1975 we are a family business situated in the heart of Ambleside serving hearty breakfasts, delicious espresso based coffees, wholesome lunches and indulgent afternoon teas as well as all the esentials for a packed lunch on the fells or by the lake. Everything baked on site daily. We use locally sourced ingredients where possible - local butcher & milkman and free range eggs as well as flour from a Cumbrian miller and tea from Farrers in Kendal. Our best sellers are Apple Pie (spiced or plain) and bath buns.'Baking at its best in Lakeland'
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We have visited Apple Pie in the past and have always been very pleased. Our recent visit started well.....seated immediately even though a busy August afternoon......service with a smile and banter ! Prompt service of 2 lattes and 2 pieces of lovely moist carrot cake....so far so good.
Ah, but then the bill......sorry but £13.20 for the above in what is essentially a cafe in a side street no matter how pretty and no matter how delicious.....is not worth a repeat visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,966)

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Four of us called in for lunch on 13th August.
My 3 friends had the sausage pie and I had the chicken pie. From memory, my chicken pie was billed on the menu as chicken, leek, mushrooms and carrots, in tarragon and white wine.
Sounds delicious….but I was very disappointed to be served a very small portion of pie with only 2 pieces of chicken in it, encapsulated within a mulch that I can only presume was leeks, mushrooms and carrots (although not recognisable as such). It cost £6.45 for this piece of pie and small side-salad !!!
In fact, it was so poor that my wife and I thought that I had been served the wrong meal, until we eventually found some chicken in it, and we realised it must be correct. I complained to the young waitress, explaining what I thought of the pie, I expected somebody more senior to come and have a word with me, but it didn't happen.

I echo the views of a previous reviewer (Keith N) below, in that the portions were truly miserly and over-priced, but would add that the chicken pie was way below average both in terms of quality and quantity.

My 3 friends commented that the sausage pie was tasty enough, although small, with not a lot of sausage in it.

We wont be back.

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We have had a breakfast here and it was lovely and huge portions. We also came in for a sandwich which was nice.
We got a 4 pack of Bath buns well worth a try because they are absolutely lovely.
A great place to pop in for a cuppa or breakfast or lunch.

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

After arriving in Ambleside for a long weekend we were peckish so decided to eat at The Apple Pie after being spoilt for choice from all the eateries. Well what a good choice it was the food was absolutely yummy...very happy diners!

Reviewed 15 August 2014

I must say that for a largish (and very busy) Café the time for orders to be taken and service were superb. However...... the portions of pie were ludicrously small, served with a very, very small portion of " side salad". Then, a portion of chips (small) incurred an additional charge. Surely, with the miniscule portion of pie they could 'throw in' a few chips. Then we came to the "star of the show" the APPLE PIE! It was a small square slice of apple pie served with a small portion of vanilla ice cream. Quite frankly, I could go in any family bakery shop in West Yorkshire and get a much better, much bigger portion of apple pie than that at half the price !! I echo the sentiments of the Belgian Contributor (a few reviews down) that this place is not what it is, as they say in Yorkshire, "as good as it is cracked up to be". !!