“busy little tea shop..with a big menu!”
Review of The Apple Pie

The Apple Pie
Ranked #3 of 11 Coffee & Tea in Ambleside
Price range: US$6 - US$16
Cuisines: British, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: We are independent cafe with a craft bakery and guest rooms. Established in 1975 we are a family business situated in the heart of Ambleside serving hearty breakfasts, delicious espresso based coffees, wholesome lunches and indulgent afternoon teas as well as all the essentials for a packed lunch on the fells or by the lake. Everything baked on site daily. We use locally sourced ingredients where possible - local butcher & milkman and free range eggs as well as flour from a Cumbrian miller and tea from Farrers in Kendal. Our best sellers are Apple Pie (spiced or plain) and bath buns. 'Baking at its best in Lakeland'
Reviewed 18 August 2014

stopped by for tea whilst it was raining...service was good once we were seated...menu had everything from sandwiches to soups to cakes and biscuits. probably the best coffee shop in ambleside.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,046)

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Summary: food average, service non-existent.

We called in after being recommended, and were some what disappointed. We had to sit on a table at first with no umbrella, and bring in the Lake District- was soggy. Luckily we relocated still in the outside area but under cover. We had 2 Cornish pasties which were delightful, and came very quickly, our drinks however arrived as we had almost finished.
After waiting a good 15 minutes and wanting to order the 'infamous' apple pie- we had to go to the counter to order ourselves as the service was non-existent. We then had to go and find service once again to pay our bill. Only to be told 'are you sure someone hasn't already paid'. At this point, we should have just walked away.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We have visited Apple Pie in the past and have always been very pleased. Our recent visit started well.....seated immediately even though a busy August afternoon......service with a smile and banter ! Prompt service of 2 lattes and 2 pieces of lovely moist carrot cake....so far so good.
Ah, but then the bill......sorry but £13.20 for the above in what is essentially a cafe in a side street no matter how pretty and no matter how delicious.....is not worth a repeat visit.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Four of us called in for lunch on 13th August.
My 3 friends had the sausage pie and I had the chicken pie. From memory, my chicken pie was billed on the menu as chicken, leek, mushrooms and carrots, in tarragon and white wine.
Sounds delicious….but I was very disappointed to be served a very small portion of pie with only 2 pieces of chicken in it, encapsulated within a mulch that I can only presume was leeks, mushrooms and carrots (although not recognisable as such). It cost £6.45 for this piece of pie and small side-salad !!!
In fact, it was so poor that my wife and I thought that I had been served the wrong meal, until we eventually found some chicken in it, and we realised it must be correct. I complained to the young waitress, explaining what I thought of the pie, I expected somebody more senior to come and have a word with me, but it didn't happen.

I echo the views of a previous reviewer (Keith N) below, in that the portions were truly miserly and over-priced, but would add that the chicken pie was way below average both in terms of quality and quantity.

My 3 friends commented that the sausage pie was tasty enough, although small, with not a lot of sausage in it.

We wont be back.

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We have had a breakfast here and it was lovely and huge portions. We also came in for a sandwich which was nice.
We got a 4 pack of Bath buns well worth a try because they are absolutely lovely.
A great place to pop in for a cuppa or breakfast or lunch.