“Very disappointing”

Price range: US$9 - US$41
Cuisines: Indian, Balti, Bangladeshi
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The newly refurbished Spice of Bengal is a family run Indian restaurant and takeaway providing exciting and exotic fine Indian cuisine in the heart of scenic Ambleside. In 1986 our late father opened the Passage of India in Keswick, one of the first Indian restaurants in the lake district. A decade later we opened the Spice of Bengal in 1994 and we have continued his commitment to quality cuisine based on our Bangladeshi heritage and giving outstanding customer service.All dishes are prepared with the utmost care in the Spice of Bengal kitchen, using only the finest fresh ingredients and our own special combination of spices. Just like our dishes, our newly refurbished restaurant fuses traditional with modern surroundings, giving a spacious, friendly dining environment.
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Would not eat here again. Sent food back as it was cold after waiting 40 mins, and when new food did arrive it was not great.

1  Thank Marc B
There are newer reviews for Spice of Bengal

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Not much more to say than my heading. Good to very good food was served which was well flavoured and very tasty - chicken chilli and a chicken korai were sampled here. We found both main courses to be well presented and well cooked. All sundry items were also tasty and fresh in flavour. Friendly staff and a decent price helped make this an enjoyable meal out. The restaurant itself does not have much atmosphere, but that does not detract much for a great night out here.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

My wife and I visit many different Indian restaurants, and this one rates pretty well. the food compares with many of the others we visit, the décor is pleasant, as are the staff. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Positive

1. plenty of tables and has been decorated internally in the last 12 months
2. keen waiters

negative

1. very expensive main meals
2. rogan josh was very poor with chopped tomatoes from a tin put on top of an average curry base
3. chicken tikka vindaloo had a powdery texture with only one very small piece of potato
4. only Indian in Ambleside meaning no competition

conclusion

We had been here 5 times in the last 12 months before last week and what has gone wrong? the curry was awful, i would have rated 2 but due to very good previous experience I gave a 3

Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

I have eaten here before and it has been very good and tonight (a party of 6) was also generally nice. The problem was once I noticed a hair in my stuffed poratta and complained I was told this was "no way a hair". Now I am aware mistakes arise in kitchens and to be honest all I wanted was someone to say "I'm sorry, this should not happen". Instead I got a volley of abuse on how this was not a hair in front of my friends and not an inch of an apology. Instead, 10 minutes later I get a waiter coming out and telling me that the "hair" was "just" a bristle from a marinading brush so that should be fine! No apology, no discount… nothing. In my view, shocking service and hygiene and as such I will not return to this establishment.