“Lovely rooms”

Ambleside Central
Ambleside Central
Ranked #102 of 103 Ambleside B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Tried phoning a few times to find out where to park. Eventually parked on street after failing to find it and having had my calls ignored. Got to hotel, sign on window said checkin at the bar next door. After a slight mix up with bookings i was given the key and a parking permit. This was behind Ambleside football ground. About 5minutes walk away. The hotel man said he would help unpack my car if needed before I moved the car to their designated parking area. However, checking out you just put keys in a box and the bar was closed so we had to trundle bags and suitcases to the parking. I didn't feel like my car would be safe, but it was. However, had I known about the parking arrangements before booking I wouldn't have chosen this place to stay.
The room was clean, the bed was a very small double. Bathroom modern, very weak shower which kept going hot and cold. Also, there were loud noises from the pipes when you used the water or toilet. Ceiling very thin as we could hear the people upstairs banging around a fair bit.
Okay for one night, but I feel I overpaid as there were other hotels nearby with adjacent parking. Some even included breakfast for the same price.

• Stayed: August 2014

Reviewed 7 August 2014

stayed one night on business, after long journey, booked in at restaurant which was busy so we were in the way for food coming out of kitchen, after wait for them to find keys room was on top floor no lift, got to room to find it was just as last guest had left it, so back down stairs to restaurant to get sorted, left standing in busy restaurant while they found a member of housekeep to come and clean room, after finding somewhere for us to eat (plenty of really good places to eat in Ambleside) we returned to find room clean and tidy, but on 2nd floor the fire exit door was open and because the door was broken it was left open all night,we did not feel safe, health and safety is an issue here.

Room Tip: find somewhere else to stay
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed here for one night and the spot is perfect if you want to meander around Ambleside. Stayed in room 6 and the bed was comfy, the room clean and had no disturbance from other guests or passers-by.

If you are looking for a stay more than a couple of days or after a full hotel service, then it's not the place for you however for relatively low cost, it does offer a comfy clean bed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The location of this is pretty good. A free car park is available which is a 10 minute walk. We normally park our car here so this wasn't an issue. The shower was good and the room is decorated to a high standard. The bed was comfortable.

There is a coffee machine on both floors although the one on floor 2 swallowed 2 tokens without any coffee. There was a bit of noise from the street

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Check in was two doors down. Parking is half a mile away. The noise from within the hotel is beyond acceptable. There is no one to assist for any queries. Bed is cheap (room 2) and extremely uncomfortable. Bathroom is no bigger than a matchbox! Bedding was not clean.
Some oil on door handles/hinges would help, ensuring other guests keep quiet would also make the stay more pleasant. Some simple improvements would make a huge difference.
Just feels like they are out to take your money without doing any work for it. Feel robbed!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Please don't stay here. Check out my other reviews, I post more positive reviews and hardly if ever post negative but feel I must here. I stayed for one evening in the small double. The problems: on arrival we went to the restaurant where I was met by a quite surly Italian girl, no small talk, very abrupt, told to go upstairs (no one will show you to your room). My room was situated in something akin to a maintenance corridor with old pictures etc laying around.
The corridor stank of fish and this did not go all night. Room very small and the bathroom smelt of garlic. Very strange and I wasn't too pleased. As other reviewers have said, for most late after noon and evening, staff take their breaks outside your window so be prepared for loud chatting. With those people being just a pane of glass away it could be intimidating for a lone female traveller. I found it off putting as a bloke. The curtains were also so thin that the next morning you have no choice but to be up when the sun rises. All this for £60. Please check the other b&b's as for this price there is much better value out there. When I returned home I emailed the owner to discuss my concerns before reviewing. I may as well not have bothered as his reply was defensive and dismissive and he even had the arrogance to suggest I was wrong. Please avoid and let's hope these charlatans go out of business soon as they are clearly in the wrong game.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank jabbott
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Just returned from a 2 night break at the ambleside central. We had gone away for the weekend to get away from some building work at home and get out on the fells for a relaxing "de stress".
Unfortunately Ambleside central did not provide this.
The positives are that they are very nicely appointed rooms. Clean tidy and comfortable.
Tea and coffee making facilities in the room and hot drinks machines on each landing for which you are provided tokens. The accommodation does not provide breakfasts but this in itself is not a problem as there are many cafe's in Ambleside that provide a good choice of breakfast at an affordable price. The parking is located a short walk away and is ample and secure.

However all this is spoiled because of the accommodation's location. It is located directly facing the noisiest pub in Ambleside. Just across the road is the Churchill Inn and sports bar.
Obviously popular with the local student population. Very busy and VERY loud.
The bar starts with LOUD music and a very lively clientele at around 7 pm and goes on till the early hours. It was impossible to sleep as the "double glazing" stopped non of the noise.
Perhaps this is only a problem at weekends but as we stayed Friday and Saturday it is of no consolation to us.
In short we have had better nights sleep in hostels.
I did contact the manager to give feed back prior to writing this review and he informed me that they had had no complaints over the noise from previous guests. I find this very hard to believe as everyone in the front facing rooms must have had the same problem as us. Either that or they too were part of the party going on at Churchill's.
It is really unfortunate that this potentially excellent accommodation is spoiled through its location and the proximity of the noisy Bar. I appreciate that the owners of Ambleside central are victims of Churchill's but we will definitely not be returning.

Room Tip: If you must go, insist on a rear facing room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple