Waterhead Hotel
Queen's Hotel(Ambleside)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
1,793 results
All reviewslake view roomgrasmere gingerbreadlocal gingerbreadjelly beansdog bedlow woodlovely hotelice bucketturn down servicegin and tonicluxury roomsister hotelunderfloor heatingdvd playerlake districtbreakfast and dinnerwould highly recommend this hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We love the Lakes and the Waterhead is ideally situated within walking distance of Ambleside and opposite Windermere. The Hotel has won numerous awards and it's easy to see why. The staff are friendly and service is great. Thanks Adam for remembering our names after the first day! We loved the attention to detail ie the slate stone waterfeature, Beatrix Potter stories played in the toilets and the varied designs and lighting around the hotel. Whoever designed the hotel has some skill in crafting a beautiful looking interior. Food was excellent and we are looming forward to staying again :-)

• Stayed: February 2012
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2012

Dear Christoph44,

Many thanks for the great review, it was pleasing to read you enjoyed your stay and the overall design of the hotel. We are always looking to add the little added touches which we feel make the difference to our guest's experience. I will pass your comments to Adam, he is a great asset to the hotel. We look forward to welcome you back soon.

Best regards

Mark Needham

Reviewed 17 February 2012

We stayed at the Waterhead hotel on 6th,7th of February. It was freezing cold and snow covered the ground. Inside the hotel was toasty warm and inviting. We found the service offered by the hotel to be first class.I walk very badly but this was dealt with in a sympathetic manner in a quiet uneffusive way. The views from the hotel bedroom and our table in the dining room were truly lovely almost demanding to be photographed.
We ate in the dining room for breakfast and evening meal. My husband is vegetarian and enjoyed all his meals. This does not happen often so other veggies take note. We found all the staff without exception to be very friendly and helpful.
It was a wonderful winter break.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maria B
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We had a KGB deal for 2 nights at the Waterhead and loved it. The staff were really friendly and helpful but not in your face or overpowering. The evening meal was first class - lamb shank and the breakfasts had great choice. Lovely view over the lake from the dining room. Great spacious room with one of the comfiest beds in a hotel I've slept on. It was really clean and was great to have a bath as well as a shower. Although we haven't got a dog I thought it was great that you could take one to this hotel but there was no doggy smell anywhere. There was also a good selection fo dvd's on a bookcase in reception to borrow. Will definately think about going back.

Room Tip: They do have rooms that overlook Lake windermere so it would be worth asking when booking.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank barbara b
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Dear reader. If you are NOT expecting another gushing review for Waterhead, then stop reading now (sorry!).

This is the last of three reviews of 3 Lakeland Hotels we stayed at during January for my wife and my Birthday celebrations and boy, did we save the best until last!
English Lakes are no doubt very pleased with this hotel, and so they should be.
Another couple of wet days in January certainly did not put a dampner on our stay here.

On arrival (quite late because we had been in Kendal all day), we were given a warm welcome and our keys to room 32 and off we trudged. Although the room was on the ground floor a short walk from reception, we had a window which offered an elevated view. And we could see water (finally). Well, a partial view of Windermere but it was nice nonetheless. There was also a Birthday card waiting for my wife (it was her Birthday the next day) - thank you Waterhead. For information, room 32 was a standard House Double room.

Rhetorical question not just for English Lakes though. It is not quite acting with hostility but I do believe it a little narrow-minded as far as looking after customers go. Why is it that virtually empty hotels never upgrade people who stay, when they have purchased offers or there on a bargain break anyway? This was a KGB offer and although there might be room restrictions because of that (but should there be when top prices are advertised as price comparisons on the promotion sites?), does it not make sense to woo the few customers you have so they come back again and again and write glowing reviews on places like TripAdvisor? The hotel was all but empty and it would have been lovely to have been given something special, as far as rooms go (in all 3 hotels we stayed in that is).

Actually (to be fair), even though we were forced to 'slum it' in room 32. It has to be said that even though we could not see all of the lake, the room was more than we expected. Beautiful in fact - but there were a lot of nicer rooms left empty.

The bathroom was a nice size. Imaculately cleaned and stocked with nice toiletries as per all of English Lakes hotels.
It was modern in design with a huge bath and superb shower.

The bedroom itself was a nice size too. Airy and light and with a huge King sized ultra comfortable bed. We slept best at Waterhead.

What we found most enjoyable about the Waterhead was the attention to detail of absolutely everything and how friendly the staff were. Adam was particularly welcoming and nice to talk to after we had finished breakfast the following day.

In the room, we loved the amount of and variation of drinks available (and the ginger biscuits were superb). The gadgets again pleased and we made full use of the free DVD hire offered to guests (with an extensive library of old and recently released movies). Internet access in the room was best through the cable (very fast) but wifi is available too and probably better in the public areas of the hotel.

Another plus for the Waterhead was the turn down service given where trays are replenished, ice offered etc. etc. I even chose to go for an all feather pillow which I asked room service for and which was delivered quickly and without any fuss. It was probably why we slept so well!

We didn't eat an evening meal at the Waterhead (again they withdrew their Taste Card membership) but promise to, next time we stay there. We did however have a cocktail in the bar. I had the most delicious Mojito and my wife had a Strawberry Daiquiri which were made to perfection.

Naturally we had breakfast and although not as good as The Wild Boar, it was close to it. Again, the menu was extensive and everything was fresh. I had eggs Benedict on the second day which was superb. Also, on our second day we were given the bay window overlooking the Lake, which must have been reserved especially for us (thanks again Waterhead - Adam?).

I could carry on gushing and repeat what countless other people have said about this hotel but will stop now reader. Except (in my best Yorkshireman voice) I must say that although I do like a bargain and will continue to try and get the most from firms (I love KGB Offers and Groupon), to get the best rates available, I have to say that I would gladly come back to the Waterhead and pay the full rate for accommodation - it was that nice.

As far as I am concerned, you can do nothing but enjoy your time at the Waterhead.

Room Tip: Ask for a Lake view but don't be too disappointed if you don't get one. Hotel has a lovely ambience and the rooms are fantastic anyway. Also, don't be shy to ask for tray replenishment and DO eat the ginger shortbread biscuits.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emmormous

Dear Emmormous,

Many thanks for your detailed review of your recent stay with us on what was a tour of English Lakes properties. It was certainly pleasing to read you enjoyed your stay at Waterhead. I understand your comment in relation to upgrades during quiet times and this is something that we certainly do when available. As you experienced, all of our rooms are of an excellent standard and although you stayed in one of our house rooms there are only few of these with a view of the lake so i am glad you got to enjoy this added bonus. It is our objective in participating in KGB deals to showcase not only our great hotels but also the quality of service we provide which sets us apart from our competition. I am pleased to say from your review this was the case and we look forward to welcome you back in the near future, be sure to keep a look out for upcoming offers on our company website.

Best regards

Mark Needham

Reviewed 4 February 2012

I stayed here for two nights in a classic house double room with my husband and little dog. We normally stay at the Ambleside Salutation (which we love) but as it was fully booked we thought we would give the Waterhead a try... We weren't disappointed. The room was lovely, very clean and we even could see the lake from our room despite not paying for a lake view! Our room was very conveniently located close to the stairs to the car park which was great for exercising the dog. A waterbowl, dog bed and chew sticks were also provided - a lovely touch. Dogs are welcome in the bar area which was very handy for us at breakfast as we don't like to leave the dog unattended in the room. All the food we had was delicious. The staff were all excellent, very friendly and helpful, especially when my husband had a minor jogging accident they promptly provided ice and bandages. We had a great time and will return!

• Stayed: January 2012