This is a nice hotel but not quite the "boutique" standard it's trying to talk itself up to. Spent a couple of days here recently with a friend, just for a quiet break. It's clean and comfortable with modern, but welcoming furnishings. Where it doesn't hit the mark is in the food and beverage side. Staff were lovely, very friendly and chatty, but I don't expect, in a "boutique" hotel that advertises cocktails, to have to teach a barman how to make a simple Bloody Mary or classic Martini. We ate in the hotel both nights. First night I had to send my Dover sole back as it was uncooked in the middle. Second night I asked for my venison rare and it was very definitely blue. Fortunately I'm an unreconstructed carnivore and a little blood doesn't offend me, but my friend was nearly put off her own meal (which was fine). With a bit of training for bar staff and a bit more attention to timings from the kitchen, this could come close to justified in considering itself "boutique".
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 4 star town house hotel on the shores of Lake Windermere near Ambleside. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Superbreak UK, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Agoda, LateRooms, getaroom.com, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Waterhead Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ambleside Hotel Waterhead
- Hotel Waterhead
- Waterhead Hotel Ambleside, Lake District