“Great hotel”

Waterhead Hotel
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 May 2013

I couldn't fault this hotel at all. Very nice welcome from reception staff, lovely room with good hospitality tray and Grasmere gingerbread! We had dinner in the restaurant which we really enjoyed and the breakfast was also excellent. The position of this hotel is great for the boat and a short walk into town, the garden centre next door is really nice as well. All in all we really enjoyed ourselves and will certainly return.

Stayed: February 2013

Reviewed 3 May 2013

We just called in on the off chance, we were looking to find a restaurant/bar which allowed dogs. We found the Waterhead Hotel and was not dissapointed. We ate there at lunch and the food was yummy !! so we returned later in the evening for a Bar meal and a cocktail. The waiter Jose was lovely he was very friendly and showed us a picture of his Dog, which sadly he has now lost. The food was superb and very reasonable and a great choice. We have taken details of the Hotel, and we can take our dog Teddy. The bar will be on our list of great places to eat in the Lake District Ken, Hilda and Teddy. and friend Tina

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 May 2013

We enjoyed a wonderful weekend stay at the Waterhead Hotel, which proved to be a perfect location for getting out onto the fells during the day and into the likes of Ambleside and Windermere on an evening. The hotel restaurant served up a fantastic menu with quality wines and beers, and the attention to detail and knowledge of the staff (particularly Juan re: gin) was a refreshing change. The row as more than adequate in size and extremely comfortable, and despite first impressions there was plenty of car parking available even with a wedding party staying at the hotel. He hotel is perfectly positioned for walks along the lakeside or a boat trip, and the views of the lake are spectacular. No need to look for another hotel again when we stay in the Lakes next!

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2013

My wife and I only decided to stay here the previous day and were unsure what to expect. We need not have worried as we thoroughly enjoyed our short 1 night stay. Staff were very nice,the hotel standard was good even if in places it looked ever so slightly tired, the food was good and served promptly. The price of drinks at the bar is quite high but we didn't try elsewhere as the view from the garden overlooking the lake made it worth it. We would stay again if we came back to Ambleside.

1  Thank redman546
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Just stayed at the Waterhead Hotel, Ambelside, on a 2 night KGB deal. Can't recommend this hotel enough, super friendly staff throughout. We took our dog with us and on arrival found a comfy dog bed waiting for her with a water bowl and chew treat in the room. She was allowed in the bar area with us and was always offered a bowl of water, the staff even spoilt her with some bacon at breakfast one morning. The room was lovely and spacious, the bed very comfy, I slept extremely well. Beautiful setting, with stunning views of the lake, a short 10-15min walk into Ambleside centre. Food and service was excellent, we were made to feel very relaxed throughout the stay and we can't praise the staff enough, we will definately be back and highly recommend the hotel. Thankyou to all at The Waterhead you do a great job!

Reviewed 25 April 2013

This was my first stay at the Waterhead, and I am pleased to say that it seemed to deserve its current position as the top rated hotel in Ambleside. I booked the one night stay through Laterooms at a cost of £159. Whilst it’s difficult to see the Saturday night rate of any hotel in the Lake District as good value, I didn’t think this was too bad. The Langdale (with its onsite leisure complex) were after £179 and The Lakeside (with its more upmarket feel) wanted £199 for the same evening. Ultimately it was the Waterhead’s proximity to Ambleside (a 10 – 15 minute walk) that made the decision.

First impressions were fairly good; we pulled into the car park and took the last available space, entering the hotel via the back door and quickly finding the cosy reception area through a not too intimidating labyrinth of corridors. Temperature was a bit of an issue though, as it appeared that the heating was jammed on full blast. Someone had opened all the windows in the communal areas in a not very environmentally sustainable attempt at sorting the problem, but it was still like a sauna.

As expected we had been given a room overlooking the dreary car park (Room 51), although we could just about see the lake. I imagine that the views greeting those lucky enough to be allocated a room at the front of the hotel would be exceptional. View aside, the room exceeded my expectations. It was very spacious, with a King Sized bed, large-ish TV and a peculiar coal-look electric fire (which I have to say didn’t really do it for me, but I am sure some will appreciate it). There was no mini bar in the room, which I will not judge to be either a good or a bad thing, but if they’d have had one then they’d have sold a couple more beers than they did that night.

Eventually I did decide to wander down to the bar where I tried a Czech lager the name of which escapes me. It was excellent. The restaurant looked pretty good too. I had already booked a table at the Thai restaurant in Ambleside, but I shall definitely try it next time.
Breakfast was everything it should be in a 4 star British hotel. Masses of choice, all very well presented, and superbly organised by the competent and cosmopolitan staff. In fact the quality of the staff is worthy of further mention; for they all seemed rather better trained and motivated than one finds to be the norm. I can only assume it’s good management.

I will return to the Waterhead. Ultimately if I was simply looking for somewhere to stay in The Lakes and the Waterhead was the same price as the Lakeside then I would choose the Lakeside. But given the usual difference in cost and the better location for most walking activities, I expect to return here rather a lot.

1  Thank LeePhilipCollins
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Just returned from a 4 day stay at the Waterhead hotel, went to celebrate husbands birthday and our wedding anniversary, hank you Waterhead staff for card and balloons, This is a beautifully appointed hotel, we had booked a house double room, very luxurious, beautiful bathroom with fantastic shower and good range of toiletries, replenished daily as required. The bed was the biggest most comfortable bed i have ever slept in. Ice bucket also replenished daily and champagne bucket supplied without even having asked for one. food in the bar and grill is of good standard and inexpensive. breakfasts were superb, such a choice! the staff were lovely, very friendly, amazed that some people do not think this hotel lives up to boutique hotel mode, i totally disagree i think it more than hits the mark and i am fussy.

Room Tip: House double rooms are very luxurious