Just stayed at the Waterside for a 2 night, weekend break and loved it.
As it was to celebrate our wedding anniversary, we splashed out and booked a 'luxury room'. From what I could tell, the luxury rooms are the largest, on the first floor and with lake views. I don't know what other features ours had that the lower grades didn't but ours was very spacious, had a large, super king bed, 2 chairs and a coffee table, modern wall mounted fireplace, wall mounted flat screen TV, bathrobes and slippers. The in-room tea and coffee facilities were above average with a cafetiere, ground coffee and lovely big mugs with a good selection of teas, hot choc etc. There was an ice bucket in the room which was filled each day and bottled water. The bathroom was very stylish with a great, crome, coil shaped, heated towel rail. I thought at first it didn't really need to be on as it was summer but then found it really useful to dry the bottoms of my jeans on when they got soaked in the rain!!
The staff were very friendly and always acknowledged your presence.
We had an excellent meal in the hotel restuarant and breakfast was plentiful with a good choice. Hot breakfasts were made to order so no desperate looking eggs and sausage that have been sitting there for an hour.
Loved the little querky touches like the piped 'stories' in the bar/restuarant bathrooms. It made a change from the usual elevator music. I think it was tales from Beatrix Potter.
This appears to be a hotel that strives to go the extra mile to make their guests stay as comfortable as possible. This is evident by the staff award programme they run - you can see all the examples of 'thank yous' in the copy of their newsletter in each room among the local area info. It felt like the sort of place that really cared if you were having a good time unlike some of the chains these days who, despite their loyalty schemes, really just don't care whether you make a return visit or not.
The Waterhead may not be the cheapest but you'll not be taking any chances with your hard earned cash!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 4 star town house hotel on the shores of Lake Windermere near Ambleside. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Superbreak UK, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, Cancelon, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Waterhead Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ambleside Hotel Waterhead
- Hotel Waterhead
- Waterhead Hotel Ambleside, Lake District