We have just had our third, very enjoyable Christmas at the Waterhead, this time we brought friends as well; it is a long drive from South Bucks but well worth it! We first discovered it in 2007 when we realised that both daughters were taking the grandchildren off to the in-laws for Chistmas and we had the opportunity to try something different. It is a superb location overlooking Windermere and the optional supplement for a lakeview room is well worth paying. The efficient and friendly staff work very hard on the Christmas activities and make it all seem special and fun without you at any time feeling pressurised into joining-in. There is usually a lighthearted casino night, quiz night and a treasure hunt all with generous prizes plus a boat trip round the lake thrown in. The dining room has separate tables for each couple/group and excellent food and Father Christmas greets you with a present on Christmas morning? One highlight for us has always been the group Christmas morning walk up onto the hills overlooking the lake. A few years ago it snowed and was quite magical. The hotel has three floors but the road and reception are on the middle floor so if stairs are a problem to you, they are easy to avoid/minimise (I think there is also a lift). Altogether, a lovely way to spend Christmas and at a very reasonable price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 4 star town house hotel on the shores of Lake Windermere near Ambleside. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Odigeo, Superbreak UK, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Waterhead Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ambleside Hotel Waterhead
- Hotel Waterhead
- Waterhead Hotel Ambleside, Lake District