My girlfriend booked an ultra-last minute one night stay for my birthday and wish it could have been longer. Never told anyone at the hotel it was my birthday, shame as it sounds from other reviews asif I may have got a little treat!
This place was terrific, the staff were friendly and efficient, the food was fabulous and the view from the room was wonderful.
I think with most hotels it is the little touches that make some stand out, the binoculars to explore the view, the "Sarah's Grasmere shortbread" in the room, the fact all the rooms are named after local waterfalls with a commisioned photo in the room of "your" waterfall and the very heavy silver cafetiere I dropped on my foot!
Silly I know, but little things do make a difference when you go somewhere new.
The place has obviously been recently refurbished and it shows, the decor is very pleasing and a nice mixture of traditional and contemporary.
Dinner was expensive but worth it as it was up there with the best hotel restaurant I have experienced. The food I have read is locally sourced and my girlfirend who is a vegetarian and difficult to feed (!) said the dish she had was "brazen" and "unapologetically" vegetarian as well as tasting fabulous. You work it out....!
My duck was superb.
Breakfast was very good too. Beautifully cooked, not too heavy, just obviously good ingredients cooked and presented really well.
Staff were uniformly friendly, ultra-efficient and helpful but the hotel was very quiet when we were there. It would be interesting to see how a busy time may affect the very slick but friendly operation of this place.
I kind of don't want to return as I don't want to be disappointed if the next stay does not match this one but I know we WILL return and probably soon IF we can find the best rates available as this kind of service don't come cheap!
Words of advice, eat in the restaurant as it is tremendous and book a room with a lake view. We had a large gabled window overlooking the lake and above the bar, very nice but obviously more expensive.
I had previously used several times another hotel as my place of choice in the Lakes, somewhere I visit often.
That hotel has been surpassed by the Waterhead.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 4 star town house hotel on the shores of Lake Windermere near Ambleside. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Superbreak UK, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Waterhead Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Waterhead
- Ambleside Hotel Waterhead
- Waterhead Hotel Ambleside, Lake District