“Very Impressive-GO!”

Waterhead Hotel
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 February 2009

My girlfriend booked an ultra-last minute one night stay for my birthday and wish it could have been longer. Never told anyone at the hotel it was my birthday, shame as it sounds from other reviews asif I may have got a little treat!
This place was terrific, the staff were friendly and efficient, the food was fabulous and the view from the room was wonderful.
I think with most hotels it is the little touches that make some stand out, the binoculars to explore the view, the "Sarah's Grasmere shortbread" in the room, the fact all the rooms are named after local waterfalls with a commisioned photo in the room of "your" waterfall and the very heavy silver cafetiere I dropped on my foot!
Silly I know, but little things do make a difference when you go somewhere new.
The place has obviously been recently refurbished and it shows, the decor is very pleasing and a nice mixture of traditional and contemporary.
Dinner was expensive but worth it as it was up there with the best hotel restaurant I have experienced. The food I have read is locally sourced and my girlfirend who is a vegetarian and difficult to feed (!) said the dish she had was "brazen" and "unapologetically" vegetarian as well as tasting fabulous. You work it out....!
My duck was superb.
Breakfast was very good too. Beautifully cooked, not too heavy, just obviously good ingredients cooked and presented really well.
Staff were uniformly friendly, ultra-efficient and helpful but the hotel was very quiet when we were there. It would be interesting to see how a busy time may affect the very slick but friendly operation of this place.
I kind of don't want to return as I don't want to be disappointed if the next stay does not match this one but I know we WILL return and probably soon IF we can find the best rates available as this kind of service don't come cheap!
Words of advice, eat in the restaurant as it is tremendous and book a room with a lake view. We had a large gabled window overlooking the lake and above the bar, very nice but obviously more expensive.
I had previously used several times another hotel as my place of choice in the Lakes, somewhere I visit often.
That hotel has been surpassed by the Waterhead.
GO!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2009

Dear Damo69
Thanks for the fantastic review - and a belated Happy Birthday!
I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and the extra touches we provide in our rooms. Please do get in contact with me on whmanager@elhmail.co.uk before your next visit, and I will ensure you are offered the very best rate available. Alternatively, the best rates and special offer packages will always be on the English Lakes Hotels homepage.
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Waterhead in the near future, and I hope your foot wasn't too badly injured!
Matt Stanaway

Write a ReviewReviews (1,767)

Reviewed 4 February 2009

We had a wonderful New Year break. We chose the Waterhead as we could take our dog and he had a great time too. They even gave him a Christmas pressie.

Food was fab and the staff were really friendly. Our room was not overly large but really lovely. As I am renowned for moving rooms this was an achievement!

The setting is beautiful across the road from the lake and afternoon tea looking at this view was bliss. We will definitely be going back.

• Check-in / front desk
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2009

Dear GrantdKent

Many thanks for the great review, and I'm delighted you enjoyed your New Year stay with us. Please do get in contact prior to your next stay and I will ensure you get the very best rate available.

Reviewed 1 February 2009

This was our first Christmas away from home. After a serious illness I was apprehensive about spending time away from home. I needn't have worried. The staff were very helpful and made our stay very comfortable. Nothing was too much trouble.
Room service was excellent with our every need met !
We would definitely recommend The Waterhead hotel to family and friends and will be visiting again ourselves!

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2009

Dear sootolly

Thanks so much for the great review and kind words, which I will ensure are passed on to the team here at The Waterhead.
I do hope that you are now well on the way to recovery, and please contact me when you are next planning a trip to the Lakes so that I can ensure you are offered the very best rate available.

Reviewed 29 January 2009

We stayed for 1 night on 24th Jan 09. We were welcomed by very friendly staff, even the porter said hello.
We had a very speedy booking in and our room was ready at 1pm. We were a little dissapointed that we didnt have a lake-view room and instead had a view of the car-park!
The room itself was very clean and fresh with a huge bed.
The highlight for us was the fantastic food. I ate salmon whilst my husband had steak, both were divine! The chocolate fondant was to die for!
I would highly reccomend this hotel but make sure you ask for a lake-view room. We thought all rooms were lake-view.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2009

Dear AMCRHarrogate

Thank you very much for the great review, and I'm glad you enjoyed our new chocolate fondant!
Due to the layout of the hotel, not all rooms have a lake view, but most will still benefit from a good view of the fells. I'm sorry that you were under the impression all rooms were lake view- we do strictly control all relevant hotel information, and don't advertise all rooms as having this.
Please do contact me prior to your next stay, and I will be delighted to offer you a special rate, and reserve a lake view room!
Thanks again for your kind comments - these will,of course, be passed on to the team.

Reviewed 25 January 2009

An excellent hotel in a superb location. It is modern and beutifully furnished, with modern amenities. The staff are very friendly and courteous and helpful. We asked for a lake view standard room and were advised it was partial lake view, but the view was still stunning. The rooms, have very comfortable king size beds with modern bathrooms, and the little touches are all there, turning down at night ... re filling our champagne ice bucket... etc, I would love to stay in a suite to see the difference.. The breakfast is also excellent with great views over the lake, and considering I used to work in the industry rating hotels, it means I would highly reccommend it..
The January offer was great value but its still worth its normal rack rates.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Thank you very much for the fantastic review. It's great to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your stay, and the little touches we pride ourselves on delivering. An online search for the hotel should give the ELH site (we have now put a rate on our 'special offers' page, effectively extending the January offer!).
Please do contact me (see e-mail address on previous responses), and I will be delighted to arrange a special rate for your next stay with us.

Reviewed 24 January 2009

This hotel was beautifully presented. with stunning views. comfortable well designed contampary interiour. excellent food that melted in your mouth. staff were very attentive and well mannered. i could not knock one bit. the hotel just was amazing. dont think about going GO!!!. you will not regret it.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2009

Dear daniandmike

Thank you so much for your great review. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to The Waterhead in the near future - please contact me on whmanager@elhmail.co.uk and I will be happy to arrange a special rate for you!

Reviewed 19 January 2009

Read the reviews, booked the hotel. It was great.
Had a first floor suite with views overlooking the lake and with a semi- seperate longe/sitting area. Bathroom clean and very modern.
Couldn't fault the staff or the cleandliness of the modernised hotel and rooms. Breakfast was great.
It's not cheap but you do get what you pay for and the Waterhead is quality.

• Stayed: November 2008

Dear SiLo69

Thanks for the fantastic review, and I'm glad you liked the suite.
Please contact me prior to you next stay, and I will be delighted to arrange the very best rate I available for you.

Matt Stanaway

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ambleside
The Regent Hotel
#12 of 20 in Windermere
Overwater Hall
Overwater Hall
#1 of 1 in Ireby

Been to Waterhead Hotel? Share your experiences!