“Nice hotel...shame about the breakfast” 4 of 5 bubbles

Waterhead Hotel
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
GreenLeadersGold level
Preston
“Nice hotel...shame about the breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2009

Just spent 2 nights at the Waterhead for our wedding anniversary...Service was great, nice little touches like coming round in the evening to ask if we needed anymore tea, coffee and sugar, also liked the binoculars in the room to help appreciate the views. Lovely lakeside view from room 10 although there was a bit of a draught coming through the window. All staff were very pleasant and attentive. Only gripe is, why can't cheffs at expensive hotels fry an egg and bacon properly, its one of the highlights for me in a hotel to know there is a lovely breakfast waiting fo me when I get up, everything was undercooked. I was fascinated with the bottle of whisky next to the porridge however... I was tempted to try it.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead Hotel, responded to this review, 9 March 2009
Dear RBCPreston

Mnay thanks for taking the time to post your review - I was delighted to read that, on the whole, you enjoyed your stay with us.
I'm sorry that breakfast did not quite live up to your expectations - we can certainly offer fried bacon should you request this, but our bacon is usually grilled as a result of guest feedback and preference for a slightly healthier breakfast (if you can can a full English breakfast 'healthy'!)
Please do contact me prior to your next stay and I will ensure that you both receive a preferential rate and breakfast cooked to your liking.

Matt Stanaway

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
  • Arabic first
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2009

Just returned from 2 nights at the Waterhead Hotel it was a Christmas present and one of the best ever.
We had an upgrade and looked directly onto the lake, the room was great and had many extras. We have stayed in lots of hotels in the lakes and other areas but this is one of the nicest. The staff where all very nice, breakfast great, what more could you want. We will hopefully return before too long.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2009
Dear tia029

Thanks for the fantastic review and I'm delighted you enjoyed your Christmas present!
I hope to welcome you back to The Waterhead in the near future, and please do contact me beforehand on whmanager@elhmail.co.uk to ensure you are quoted the very best rate available

Liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2009

Had a very good three night stay at this impressive hotel. We got a good deal on the hotels own web site which was much cheaper than those being quoted by the Internet hotel booking companies. The superior room was very comfortable with a good lake view and lots of nice touches, such as bathrobes and slippers. All the staff were very efficient and the restaurant staff especially attentive and friendly. Breakfast was good and restaurant served interesting and good quality evening meals. Everyone seemed anxious to ensure we had a very enjoyable and relaxing stay. This is not a cheap hotel but you do get what you pay for.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2009
Dear LiverpoolDouglas

Thanks so much for the fantastic review, and I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.
As you mention, the best rates will always be avaiable on our own website, but please do not hesitate to contact me prior to your next stay so that I can ensure you are quoted the best rate available.

South YOrkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2009

I spent hours and hours on the internet looking at different hotels in the lake district and finally decided in The Waterhead, and I'm really pleased I did. The reception staff were great, we were upgraded to a lakeview room which was such a treat!!

The rooms are luxurious without being stuffy, I loved the little touches, like binoculars to look out onto the lake, and the fluffy dog on the bed looking after the do not disturb sign! There was a great range of hot drinks in the room including a cafetiere, and not just any biscuits but local ginger bread which was yummy!!

Fiona on reception helped pick walks which would be enjoyable and suitable to our novice walking status!!

We felt very well looked after at this hotel and 3 nights was definitely not long enough!!

Thanks to all the team at The Waterhead!!

Dear TheAttenborrows

Thanks for the great review - I'm glad that we lived up to your expectations and the research was worthwhile!
Your kind comments will of course be passed on to the team, and Fiona in particular.
Please do contact me on whmanager@elhmail.co.uk prior to your next visit, and I wil ensure that you are quoted the very best rate available.

South Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2009

This is a great hotel. The staff are friendly and helpful, they make you feel really welcome.
The rooms are beautifully decorated. We stayed for 2 nights over the valentines weekend and I can not fault our stay.
The hotel is in a great location, it has a really nice bar with great views, the views from the breakfast room are also second to none.
If you visit I would also recomend the Log House resturant which is only a 5 minute walk from the hotel, the food is top class.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2009
Dear Hello0123

Thank you for taking the time to post a great review - I'm delighted that you enjoyed your Valentine's weekend.
I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Waterhead in the near future - please feel free to contact me beforehand and I will ensure you are offered a great rate!

Lincoln
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2009

I have stayed at the Waterhead on many occasions and keep going back as it offers the best mix of quality, value for money and service of any hotel I've stayed in. What I particularly like is that it offers the highest of standards without some of the "stuffiness" that some hotels have. On this occasion i was travelling with my parents for the Waterhead Christmas break. It was fabulous from start to finish.

• Liked — Heated floor in bathroom, very cozy!
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
      Check-in / front desk
Dear Aly99

Thanks so much for the fantastic review - your kind comments will, of course, be passed on to the team here.
I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Waterhead in the near future (possibly Christmas 2009?), and please do contact me beforehand to ensure you are offered the very best rate avaiable.
Thanks once again

Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2009

My girlfriend booked an ultra-last minute one night stay for my birthday and wish it could have been longer. Never told anyone at the hotel it was my birthday, shame as it sounds from other reviews asif I may have got a little treat!
This place was terrific, the staff were friendly and efficient, the food was fabulous and the view from the room was wonderful.
I think with most hotels it is the little touches that make some stand out, the binoculars to explore the view, the "Sarah's Grasmere shortbread" in the room, the fact all the rooms are named after local waterfalls with a commisioned photo in the room of "your" waterfall and the very heavy silver cafetiere I dropped on my foot!
Silly I know, but little things do make a difference when you go somewhere new.
The place has obviously been recently refurbished and it shows, the decor is very pleasing and a nice mixture of traditional and contemporary.
Dinner was expensive but worth it as it was up there with the best hotel restaurant I have experienced. The food I have read is locally sourced and my girlfirend who is a vegetarian and difficult to feed (!) said the dish she had was "brazen" and "unapologetically" vegetarian as well as tasting fabulous. You work it out....!
My duck was superb.
Breakfast was very good too. Beautifully cooked, not too heavy, just obviously good ingredients cooked and presented really well.
Staff were uniformly friendly, ultra-efficient and helpful but the hotel was very quiet when we were there. It would be interesting to see how a busy time may affect the very slick but friendly operation of this place.
I kind of don't want to return as I don't want to be disappointed if the next stay does not match this one but I know we WILL return and probably soon IF we can find the best rates available as this kind of service don't come cheap!
Words of advice, eat in the restaurant as it is tremendous and book a room with a lake view. We had a large gabled window overlooking the lake and above the bar, very nice but obviously more expensive.
I had previously used several times another hotel as my place of choice in the Lakes, somewhere I visit often.
That hotel has been surpassed by the Waterhead.
GO!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead Hotel, responded to this review, 9 February 2009
Dear Damo69
Thanks for the fantastic review - and a belated Happy Birthday!
I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and the extra touches we provide in our rooms. Please do get in contact with me on whmanager@elhmail.co.uk before your next visit, and I will ensure you are offered the very best rate available. Alternatively, the best rates and special offer packages will always be on the English Lakes Hotels homepage.
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Waterhead in the near future, and I hope your foot wasn't too badly injured!
Matt Stanaway
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ambleside
The Regent Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,342 reviews
Rothay Manor Hotel
Rothay Manor Hotel
#4 of 12 in Ambleside

Been to Waterhead Hotel? Share your experiences!