“Excellent Value for Money - Great Food”
Review of Waterhead Hotel

Waterhead Hotel
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 9 March 2009

We stayed here for 2 nights and got a great rate including 1 night's dinner for under £350. Check in was smooth and the rooms were nicely furnished (we had a luxury room overlooking the lake). Dinner in the hotel was superb and the staff were very attentive, the portions weren't huge but just right if you are having three courses (the lighting in the restaurant is lovely and very atmospheric). During our stay there were 2 small weddings on consecutive days and this did nothing to detract the staff from offering great service to all the guests. The only critisism we had was that the bed was way too soft and we ended up with sore backs, and the cooked breakfast was much better on the Saturday than on the Sunday. On the 2nd night of our stay we ate at the Log House (just down the road) and the food was excellent along with the service. Would we go back to both - YES!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2009

Dear Kippaxlady

Thanks so much for the fantastic review - I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay, in particular the Bay Restaurant.
I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Waterhead in the near future.

Reviewed 8 March 2009

Just spent 2 nights at the Waterhead for our wedding anniversary...Service was great, nice little touches like coming round in the evening to ask if we needed anymore tea, coffee and sugar, also liked the binoculars in the room to help appreciate the views. Lovely lakeside view from room 10 although there was a bit of a draught coming through the window. All staff were very pleasant and attentive. Only gripe is, why can't cheffs at expensive hotels fry an egg and bacon properly, its one of the highlights for me in a hotel to know there is a lovely breakfast waiting fo me when I get up, everything was undercooked. I was fascinated with the bottle of whisky next to the porridge however... I was tempted to try it.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2009

Dear RBCPreston

Mnay thanks for taking the time to post your review - I was delighted to read that, on the whole, you enjoyed your stay with us.
I'm sorry that breakfast did not quite live up to your expectations - we can certainly offer fried bacon should you request this, but our bacon is usually grilled as a result of guest feedback and preference for a slightly healthier breakfast (if you can can a full English breakfast 'healthy'!)
Please do contact me prior to your next stay and I will ensure that you both receive a preferential rate and breakfast cooked to your liking.

Reviewed 2 March 2009

Just returned from 2 nights at the Waterhead Hotel it was a Christmas present and one of the best ever.
We had an upgrade and looked directly onto the lake, the room was great and had many extras. We have stayed in lots of hotels in the lakes and other areas but this is one of the nicest. The staff where all very nice, breakfast great, what more could you want. We will hopefully return before too long.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2009

Dear tia029

Thanks for the fantastic review and I'm delighted you enjoyed your Christmas present!
I hope to welcome you back to The Waterhead in the near future, and please do contact me beforehand on whmanager@elhmail.co.uk to ensure you are quoted the very best rate available

Reviewed 26 February 2009

Had a very good three night stay at this impressive hotel. We got a good deal on the hotels own web site which was much cheaper than those being quoted by the Internet hotel booking companies. The superior room was very comfortable with a good lake view and lots of nice touches, such as bathrobes and slippers. All the staff were very efficient and the restaurant staff especially attentive and friendly. Breakfast was good and restaurant served interesting and good quality evening meals. Everyone seemed anxious to ensure we had a very enjoyable and relaxing stay. This is not a cheap hotel but you do get what you pay for.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2009

Dear LiverpoolDouglas

Thanks so much for the fantastic review, and I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.
As you mention, the best rates will always be avaiable on our own website, but please do not hesitate to contact me prior to your next stay so that I can ensure you are quoted the best rate available.

Reviewed 25 February 2009

I spent hours and hours on the internet looking at different hotels in the lake district and finally decided in The Waterhead, and I'm really pleased I did. The reception staff were great, we were upgraded to a lakeview room which was such a treat!!

The rooms are luxurious without being stuffy, I loved the little touches, like binoculars to look out onto the lake, and the fluffy dog on the bed looking after the do not disturb sign! There was a great range of hot drinks in the room including a cafetiere, and not just any biscuits but local ginger bread which was yummy!!

Fiona on reception helped pick walks which would be enjoyable and suitable to our novice walking status!!

We felt very well looked after at this hotel and 3 nights was definitely not long enough!!

Thanks to all the team at The Waterhead!!

Dear TheAttenborrows

Thanks for the great review - I'm glad that we lived up to your expectations and the research was worthwhile!
Your kind comments will of course be passed on to the team, and Fiona in particular.
Please do contact me on whmanager@elhmail.co.uk prior to your next visit, and I wil ensure that you are quoted the very best rate available.

Reviewed 16 February 2009

This is a great hotel. The staff are friendly and helpful, they make you feel really welcome.
The rooms are beautifully decorated. We stayed for 2 nights over the valentines weekend and I can not fault our stay.
The hotel is in a great location, it has a really nice bar with great views, the views from the breakfast room are also second to none.
If you visit I would also recomend the Log House resturant which is only a 5 minute walk from the hotel, the food is top class.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2009

Dear Hello0123

Thank you for taking the time to post a great review - I'm delighted that you enjoyed your Valentine's weekend.
I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Waterhead in the near future - please feel free to contact me beforehand and I will ensure you are offered a great rate!

Reviewed 16 February 2009

I have stayed at the Waterhead on many occasions and keep going back as it offers the best mix of quality, value for money and service of any hotel I've stayed in. What I particularly like is that it offers the highest of standards without some of the "stuffiness" that some hotels have. On this occasion i was travelling with my parents for the Waterhead Christmas break. It was fabulous from start to finish.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk

Dear Aly99

Thanks so much for the fantastic review - your kind comments will, of course, be passed on to the team here.
I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Waterhead in the near future (possibly Christmas 2009?), and please do contact me beforehand to ensure you are offered the very best rate avaiable.
Thanks once again

Matt Stanaway

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ambleside
Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Rothay Manor Hotel
Rothay Manor Hotel
#4 of 12 in Ambleside
Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant

Been to Waterhead Hotel? Share your experiences!