My boyfriend & I had been searching online for a hotel around Windermere but all we could find were expensive places with disappointing guest reviews. So when I found the Waterhead & read the reviews on TripAdvisor I thought what's the catch? In short, there isn't one, this hotel is great & for a fair price.
Location - very easy to find, right where the road divides & directly across the road from the lake itself. It is a 15-20 minute walk to Ambleside down the lower road, or shorter if you take the upper.
Parking - good, at both the top of the road near the main entrance & in the courtyard. Only complaint is when they were then seemingly fully booked at the start of half-term, there was a sudden shortage of spaces & guests weren't clear what to do, so had to double-park.
Food - breakfast was excellent, selection at the buffet & the cooked-to-order both very good. It is served in the tasteful dining-room & bar where you have views across the lake. We found our evening meal in the restaurant to be perfectly fine, but nothing exciting. However, there are several restuarants in reasonable walking distance.
Room - was very pleased to find it well equipped with fresh modern decor. Bed was cosy & the bathroom quite funky with underfloor heating.
Service - all staff we encountered were helpful & efficient & housekeeping was very good.
Activities - There are boat-trips going from the small pier directly opposite the hotel & it is a short drive to most other activities around the lake. For walkers, Ambleside must have a dozen outdoor equipment shops, so don't worry if you've forgotten your socks! There are many good walks you can do directly from the town & there is even a small path leading up the hills directly opposite the main entrance.
All in all a very good hotel at a fair price & in a great location. Would definitely recommend & stay there again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 4 star town house hotel on the shores of Lake Windermere near Ambleside. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, LateRooms, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Waterhead Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Waterhead
- Ambleside Hotel Waterhead
- Waterhead Hotel Ambleside, Lake District