Could hardly fault it. Just like the website photos. Felt really pampered and content. Room 15 very nearly perfect.
There are so many hotels to chose from in the Lakes that I was dizzy doing my initial research. My most important criteria was to have a lake view. The next 2 requirements were to have fabulous decor (not too worn and olde worldy) and that the cost for 2 nights b and b did not equal a fortnight in Spain. (Not as easy as you might think!) I knew when I stumbled across the website for this hotel that all my boxes had been ticked.
Upon arrival I would recommend parking at the back of the hotel as the signs guiding you to reception from the front carpark involve A LOT of stairs. Hard work when you have seriously overpacked and your husband is excused suitcase lugging duties due to poorly knee.
Our room had a lovely bay window with a stunning view of the lake and the boat moorings (and ducks and swans). We had beautiful bespoke furniture making up the wardrobe, sideboard and bedside tables and then lovely comfy leather chairs in the bay windows. There was a stylish kettle and cafetiere and complimentary hot drinks, gingerbread, fruit and water. The bathroom was exquisite. Huge bath, loads of hot water, an abundance of white fluffy towels. I am starting to suspect myself of manufacturing this too perfect review - surely there must have been something I can moan about? Well - there wasn't a minibar - but hey, they kept our ice-bucket filled! There wasn't a safe. Mmmmm - I could live with that. The traffic was a bit noisy - oh but I was soooo relaxed I really didn't care.
And there wasn't a chocolate fountain. Too picky?
The bar and restaurant were both lovely places although going in early February meant that it was hardly buzzing. However, the prices were reasonable and the service good. I would definitely recomment it over the pub over the road. The pub over the road may be ok in summer when you can sit on the outside of it but it was a bit downmarket compared to this lovely hotel.
I know I have gone on a bit but look at my photos and you will see that I am telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 4 star town house hotel on the shores of Lake Windermere near Ambleside. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Waterhead Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ambleside Hotel Waterhead
- Hotel Waterhead
- Waterhead Hotel Ambleside, Lake District