“Salute to the Salutation”

Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
Reviewed 2 April 2014

First visit to the hotel and the Lake district. A three night stay on a half board basis at the end of March proved a very enjoyable experience. Managed to park the car every day with no mishaps in the hotel car park. Reception were always helpful and the booking in painless. We had booked a standard room asking to overlook the front of the hotel where we had a view of the fells as well as the main thoroughfare of Ambleside. Generally the town is fairly quiet in the night with only one reveller waking us through the open window. At breakfast we were spoilt for choice. Mostly buffet though hot food was ordered. Even then you could ask for whatever you wanted in quantity. We were allowed £28.00 on our evening meal. Never did we exceed that price even with three courses. Menu was varied with excellent starters, good choice of main meals and home made sweets. On helpful comment is that as a previously mentioned the vegetarian options could be a little bit more ambitious. Although not a vegetarian I like to eat a meat free diet on holiday. Restaurant staff were always courteous and helpful. Alcoholic drinks were probably the norm for this type of hotel with wine stating at just over £17.00 and real ale at £3.60 (I am sure you will correct me if I am wrong)
A most enjoyable stay and should I return in the near future I would stay in this hotel again

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Paulcookson, General Manager at Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, your kind comments about the hotel and your stay with us are much appreciated and really do make the job worth while. We have worked hard on new menus and of course our breakfast choices - even down to a wee dram of whisky with your porridge! I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, I have taken on board your feedback regarding the vegetarian options and will be discussing alternatives with our Head Chef. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not so distant future.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Chaotic start to the stay in the midst of a busy Jazz Festival, which looked and sounded great, but left us with nowhere to park or even store our luggage initially. The staff member who dealt with us first was not at all helpful or welcoming; probably the stress of a long weekend. However, once the manager took control, our initial experience was totally transformed and she really helped make my wife's birthday special with a complimentary room upgrade and sparkling wine. The location is hard to beat at the centre of Ambleside, which has so many and varied walks straight from the centre of town. I think parking will be a challenge when the hotel is close to full, but a large public car park is a minute away. The hotel spa is excellent, the restaurant food good, though a bit too quick with the service for our preference. We stayed with our dog - there are 8 dog friendly rooms in the hotel. Ambleside is really dog friendly as well, so we did not feel restricted and had a wonderful stay. So would just like to say a massive thank you to all the staff at the hotel and we look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: The Lakeland rooms are spacious and feel really special. Worth the extra.
1  Thank Stokie66
Paulcookson, General Manager at Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review your kind comments about our rooms, location, Spa and our dog friendliness! I'm sorry it was a little hectic at check in for you, our Jazz break is so popular with guest's wanting to stay till the very last note is played! So there can be an over lap of people checking in while other guest's are still at the hotel with cars on the car park . We do have one car parking space for each of our rooms so 54 in total, and we are always on hand to help guest's with parking. Apologies that your welcome was not all that it should have been, we are all only human and any one can have an 'off' moment but I'm sorry that initially we were not as friendly and as welcoming as we normally are, we were busy as you pointed out but this should not be an excuse not to come up to the mark. So pleased you enjoyed the up grade and that your four legged friend had a good stay too, we are more than happy to accommodate dogs we even have a few doggie treats stashed behind reception. So thank you once again for the review and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon and I will of course thank our team on your behalf.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Salutation for my birthday and the whole experience lived up to expectation. The club room was worth the extra price, it was large with a super king bed, two sofas a big bathroom, huge towels, bathrobes and best of all a balcony overlooking the fells. My husband had mentioned on booking that it was my birthday and a birthday card was in the room for me, a very nice touch. The swimming pool area is very nice and the outdoor hot tub great an experience when it is dark and rainy. The food was excellent , a very good buffet breakfast with lots of fruits, yoghurts, breads etc. The Brasserie evening meals were very good and reasonably priced but the vegetarian choice was a bit limited. Looking forward to staying again.

Room Tip: The upgrade to a club room is worth the extra price
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and for choosing to spend your birthday with us. I'm so pleased that the whole experience lived up to your expectations and I agree the hot tub is a must! So pleased you enjoyed our breakfast we have worked really hard on the content and we are always trying to add to it. Glad you enjoyed our Brasserie, apologies that you found our vegetarian choices limited. I will discuss this with our Head Chef to see how we can expand this and see what we come up with. Look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Have been attending jazz breaks at the Salutation for a number of years and have just returned from the latest one. Once again the hotel did not disappoint. The staff, from reception to housekeeping were, as always, very welcoming and friendly. Some of them have been there for a number of years which says a great deal for the hotel. The staff and management work hard to make for an enjoyable stay and nothing ever seems to be a problem for them.
The breakfasts are first class and there is good selection of food in the Brasserie.
If you've not stayed at The Salutation then you're missing out.

1  Thank dycer128

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review, I'm so pleased you enjoyed our recent Jazz break, they are always very popular! Thanks also for your compliments about the hotel, our food, breakfast and our great staff. We are very lucky to have staff that have been with us for a long time- some of us have been here from day one! We look forward to welcoming you back to stay soon, perhaps even before our October jazz.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Really enjoyed our 2 night stay at the Salutation. Great atmosphere, clean and well decorated rooms with friendly and helpful staff. The bar is lovely and cozy with an excellent restaurant to go with it. Nice relaxing swimming pool surrounded by loungers and a Canadian hot tub outside. Will certainly stay here again

1  Thank Carolblossom

Thank you so much for your review and your great feedback after your recent stay with us. Your kind comments are much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to stay soon.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

This hotel has very pleasant and comfortable public areas and breakfast was served efficiently and with a smile. The bedroom was a good size but the bathroom was dreadful. out dated and no room to move at all. The dingy radiator is cms away from the toilet and boiling hot all through the night so chance of burning yourself if not careful.
on a plus side, a nice pool and small gym but check that you ask for a key before using equipment!
A real shame about the bathroom

2  Thank Jacobs08
Paulcookson, General Manager at Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Thank you for your review and kind comments our lounges, leisure, breakfast and smiley staff. I was sorry to hear your disappointment about the bathroom during your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for this and thank you for bringing this to our attention, we do have a rolling refurbishment programme in progress and in all the bathrooms we are going to moving the radiator to the wall adjacent to the shower behind the toilet. If you could contact me direct at the hotel and let me know the room we can push it along in the refurbishing scheme. Thank you for feed back it and I hope I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel so you can see our on going refurbishing first hand.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Second time here it’s a very good hotel we have a dog he’s always welcome and he (MAX the dog) said it’s not “rough” at all. Rooms very clean the staff are a credit to the hotel would I go back as MacArthur said “I will return” he wasn’t talking about a hotel he was talking about the Philippines.
Book it now have a nice time

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tony F
Paulcookson, General Manager at Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Than you and Max for your review, glad that Max enjoyed our doggy friendly hotel and that you will be back (think it was Arnold Schwartzenegger that said that !) Than you for your comments about the rooms and our staff we are very lucky to have them. Look forward to welcoming you and Max back to stay soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ambleside
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#18 of 20 in Windermere
Waterhead Hotel
Waterhead Hotel
#1 of 12 in Ambleside

Been to Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!