“Superb Break, Fantastic Hotel”

Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
Reviewed 2 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Paulcookson, General Manager at Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed here as a couple to celebrate our anniversary for two nights, location good as in the heart of Ambleside so lots around to see and do.

Secure parking and staff friendly and accommodating, the spa treatments were fab as we're the leisure facilities, pool, gym, steam room and indoor and outdoor jacuzzi were a must very clean and set out beautifully.

Breakfast was the highlight fabulous choice of hot and cold and staff very efficient as we're the staff at the bar.

Only negatives for us were that the room was situated a short distance across the car park in a separate lodge, felt detached from the hotel and not like a 'proper guest' if you know what I mean, would have been nice like some of the guests staying in the actual hotel to come down from room in robe and go to the pool didn't feel this was appropriate where we were situated, in saying all this the room was well equipped and very clean and the shower was amazing, there was no outside area to sit and have a drink and as in my case a cigarette had to stand outside alongside staff that were on a break.

The evening meal was ok for the price but not as nice as expected but again the waiting staff were a credit to the hotel.

Any advice I would offer to the hotel would to have let us know we were not staying in the main building then we may have chosen another room or at least have been prepared, spoilt my stay slightly but not enough to warrant a complaint as I think there is just a slight lack of not informing customers beforehand.

All in all I would probably try somewhere different but would similarly return to the Salutation.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the lodges if you prefer but check beforehand to see where you will be staying.
2  Thank YvonneKLTL

Thank you for your review and your kind comments about the hotel and our friendly staff (very lucky to have them) location, breakfast, car parking and leisure. I'm very sorry that the location of your room in our lodge spoiled your stay a little, also that you were not informed about the location of the room. We have new garden furniture at the front terrace of the hotel for guest's to relax and enjoy the view smokers are welcome too! I would like to have the opportunity to discuss your comments with you in more detail as your feed back is extremely important to us. Please can you call me direct at the hotel at your convenience, I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you once again for your review.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Firstly, I am struggling to understand why this hotel has been rated "3 star". It isn't. It is easily a "4 star" and in some respects I would class it as a five! It's rare for me to write reviews which shows how highly I rate this place. This was a gift to my wife for her 40th birthday and we both wanted somewhere where we could relax, make use of some spa facilities and also somewhere where we could venture out at night. I booked one of the "club" rooms which features extras such as a king size bed (could have been super-king size - it was enormous!), large flat screen TV (40inch?), jacuzzi bath, balcony and a seating area. I found the bed extremely comfortable (my wife found it slightly too hard - although not the hotels fault as it is impossible to cater for everyone). As other people have stated. the showers are superb. Great temperature and lots and lots of pressure! The bathroom was also immaculate and looked like it had been updated fairly recently.

Onto the spa facilities. The hotel features a swimming pool, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi and a fantastic hot tub located outside a few yards away from the pool. This was our first time in a hot tub and we were not disappointed. Extremely relaxing - you need to be careful you don't fall asleep in there! Robes and slippers are provided in your room which was a nice touch. Everything has been thought about including the locker wrist bands which you exchange for your room key at reception. These clever devices then link to which ever locker you pick - no messing about with keys or pound coins. There is also a gym which we didn't use but it looks to be of a very high standard with many of the machines have lcd screens. There are also spa treatments available which we didn't have time to make use of - maybe next time.

Onto the breakfast. This is the best breakfast I have ever had in a hotel. As well as the cooked breakfast which is made to order, you can also help yourself to fresh fruit, croissants. homemade jams, smoothies (yes, smoothies!), cereals, toast, yogurt etc etc. The list goes on. There was also a decanter of Whiskey which slightly puzzled me......maybe its a Cumbrian thing. We both went for a standard English breakfast. Everything is cooked to perfection with the highlight of the show being the "Cumbrian Sausage" which was very tasty indeed. My only regret is that we didn't double up on each item which the menu states you can do. I believe you can also order kippers, haddock, porridge etc which no doubt will be of an equal high quality.

Really, really cannot wait to stay here again!

1  Thank jonathan h

WOW! What an amazing review I think we ticked all the boxes for you , thank you your lovely comments make it all worth while. Really pleased you think we could be 4 or 5 star! I don't now what else to say! I really do hope we are able to look after you again soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great location at the top of Ambleside town, so perfect for a wander around the shops etc. Secure Parking area, friendly staff on reception, nice pool and outside decking area with hot tub.

The cost was reasonable given the area and comfort, our room was adequately sized for two and lovely and clean. Powerful shower, great breakfast, recommended as base for lake district hikers.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Scruffygirl2013
Paulcookson, General Manager at Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and for your kind comments about the hotel and our staff. So pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope we will see you again the next time you are in the Lakes. I hope you managed to relax in the hot tub after your hikes on the fells.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Upon arriving at the Salutation Hotel, we (myself and my fiance) knew that we would enjoy our stay as the exterior of the hotel looked marvelous and also we knew that our car was going to be safe because of the secure parking that was there. When we walked into the hotel, we were greeting by a member of staff at reception who was also the bar staff as well as her main duty. She couldn't have been more helpful and friendly after such a long drive (3 hours). Our room was located on the top floor (second floor) which was very clean and we liked that the facilities that were available to us were tucked away and also clean. Although we did not use the jet streamed bath, the shower was powerful and was not cold. The other facilities that the Ambleside Salutation Hotel provided were the steam room, sauna, hot tub (indoor and outdoor) and the swimming pool. These facilities were very well looked after, however we were confused on how to turn the jet stream from the indoor hot tub off. The breakfast was excellent and we did not expect to give a waiter an order of what we wanted for our first meal of the day. The food was lovely and warm and the right tempreture to start eating it right away. This was our first time visiting The Lake District, Ambleside and our first stay at the Ambleside Salutation Hotel and we thought that the hotel experience compared to what we thought of the Lake District, amazing. Last but not least, we will definitely come back because of the loyalty card that is attached to the room card as there are offers linked to it.

1  Thank Jamie T

'Ambleside's Finest' - thank you so much for such a great compliment and for such a fantastic review. Your kind comments about our fabulous staff (very lucky to have such a fab team) facilities, leisure, breakfast, car parking are very much appreciated- comments like yours really do make it all worth while. I really do look forward to welcoming you back to stay and use your loyalty card, thank you once again.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

What a great hotel, definitely deserves more than 3 stars! My parents very regularly stay at the salutation so me and my partner thought we would see why they love it so much! We had a lovely warm welcome, we arrived around lunch time, earlier than the check in time but thought we would see if the room was ready and it was, we were given the room above the entrance to the hotel and were very impressed with having the balcony, the room was small, cosy and modern. We chose to have our evening meal at the restaurant, it was delicious, as was our breakfast in the morning, we love that we can choose what we want and it's freshly made rather than a hot buffet. The pool, hot tub etc. downstairs were great they were very clean and after a long day of walking just what anybody needs! Overall, great hotel, great staff and brilliant location. We will be back :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Paulcookson, General Manager at Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you so much for your great review, sounds like we ticked all the boxes for you. Your kind compliments about the hotel, its facilities, staff, food and location are very much appreciated and make it all worthwhile. So pleased you will be back we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

lovely hotel, lovely location with great amenities. Within easy traveling distance to most of the lakes attractions. Town had lots of eating places and local shops. Lovely market town feel to it. Local sightseeing bus value for money and well worth adventuring on, saves on the expense of parking, fuel etc. If you want to move to the next town, simply hop on the bus which is fairly frequent and find your next attraction. Hotel staff at the Salutation were helpful with information on sightseeing and help with the bus information.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Thank you for your review it sounds like you had a very enjoyable stay with us and you certainly got out and about to see the sights. I'm pleased our staff we able to help you with information on things to do and the bus times- it helps having a bus drop off outside the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ambleside
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#18 of 20 in Windermere
Waterhead Hotel
Waterhead Hotel
#1 of 12 in Ambleside

Been to Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!