“A Great Little Cafe in Ambleside”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Rattle Gill Cafe

Rattle Gill Cafe
Ranked #2 of 116 Restaurants in Ambleside
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Healthy, Soups
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: We open our doors at 10am and serve homemade food. We stop serving savoury hot food at 4pm to allow us time to prep for the following day. We do still serve teas, coffees and cakes until 4.30pm. Please do come and visit and fill your hungry tummies!
London
“A Great Little Cafe in Ambleside”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2010

Was thinking recently about my trip to the Lake District this year and remembered this great little cafe my girlfriend and I went to in Ambeside called Rattle Cafe and thought it about time I wrote a review about it.

We went in for a late-ish lunch and shared a fantastic veggie chilli with jacket potato and a brie and chutney sandwich. I remember asking about the chutney and was told it was homemade and that I could buy a jar which I promptly did as it was so tasty!

The only down-side was that we were too stuffed to try one of the great looking cakes on display which again were homemade.

Would definitely recommend this place to anyone and shall be going back again soon.

Keswick, United Kingdom
“A hidden gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2010

Rattle Gill cafe is a little off the main thoroughfare of Ambleside, but well worth checking out - look for the boards showing directions! This vegetarian cafe serves all home cooked food, including a great veggie chilli. The cakes are delicious - if you can't make up your mind, try their tasting plate. Definitely be going back when next in Ambleside.

Keswick, United Kingdom
“The Best In Town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2010

This is the best in Ambleside for home cooked food, cakes,jacket spuds, coffee or tea. They are always polite and friendly, i go there every time I am in the area for my lunches.

1 Thank sirrodwick
North West of England
“Small, but a great welcome and fresh, wholesome veggie food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2010

I'm sorry this review has been posted so late, but I forgot to put it on tripadvisor when we got back from our Lake District tour. I'm adding it anyway because people might miss this great little place, as it's slightly further away from the main shopping area, but worth tracking down.
We visited Ambleside for a weekend break at the end of the summer, but the weather was unseasonably bad - drizzly rain made more miserable by low temperatures.
Nevertheless, Ambleside was packed to the gunwales with visitors, and it was really difficult to find a place to get a bite to eat on a Saturday lunch time. We were getting quite hungry, so we thought we'd drop into a pub. Unfortunately, it was grim - one of those places where your feet stick to the carpet... So we only stayed for a quick half and decided to set off in search of somewhere else.
But as we left, it started to rain again, so we spotted the Rattle Gill Cafe and quickly ducked in, not realising it only served vegetarian food. It was only while we were perusing the menu that it dawned on us, but as it was raining even harder, we thought 'what the hell'...
I ordered the full Ploughman's and, because it was a little chilly outdoors, a hot lemon and honey toddy-type drink. My partner ordered a ratatouille-type dish (I can't remember exactly what this was, but I do remember it was fantastic) and a hot chocolate with cream.
I thought the menu choices looked a little on the pricey side, but when the food came, the portions were generous. My Ploughman's was presented on a solid breadboard and comprised of thick-cut bread and a selection of different cheeses, with the added bonus of home-made coleslaw and chutney, and fantastic fresh fruit and salad ingredients. I don't know if the bread was home-made, but it certainly tasted as if it was.
I couldn't finish my spread (probably because I'd spent some time dipping into the other plate of food), so I handed it over to my partner, who managed to eat some, but not all, of it. Both the drinks were fantastic - made to order and not derived from pre-made catering packs. Although we couldn't manage a pudding, there were a selection of delicious cheese cakes, etc., which also looked home-made.
Our bill was around the £18 mark - more than I would have normally paid for what was supposed to be a quick lunch 'on the go'. But the quality, presentation and fantastic flavours of the food made it well-worth it. I would definitely eat here again.
The only negative (which is a very small point) is that the cafe is relatively small and, when it is full, it can seem a little cramped. There's also the fact that the WC is up a short flight of stairs, so that could be a minus for people with mobility difficulties.

1 Thank SusanBJennings