“Excellent Choice”

Ranked #13 of 103 Ambleside B&B and Inns
Reading, United Kingdom
“Excellent Choice”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My wife chose Nanny Brow for our last minute 3 night visit to the Lake District. I thought it looked good but expensive but within a few minutes, she persuaded me to book 4 nights (last one half price for mid-week say) in the Skelwith room. As it turned out she made a good decision. At the risk of repeating what previous guests have said, the following were excellent:
Cleanliness - pretty close to perfect( rooms cleaned whilst at breakfast)
Room - well appointed, classy & tasteful
View - the view from our room window on the 1st floor at the front was stunning
Staff- attentive, friendly, professional and most importantly showed pride in their work
Owners - rightly proud of their establishment, worked hard and very friendly

We generally never go to anywhere twice, as according to my trip advisor account, I have only seen 7% of the world. With 93% to go, this is the closest I have come to potetially breaking the rule so far, so maybe my wife will persuade me to in the near future?

Overall, I can't overstate my recommendation as Nanny Brow for an upmarket Lake District break.

P.s. I forgot the cake - a different excellent slice a cake appears by miracle ( cake elves) in the room each day

Room Tip: Skelwirh room has excellent views over river, countryside
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FunkyG
NannyBrow, Owner at Nanny Brow, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Thank you for your lovely review and for all the wonderful things you had to say about Nanny Brow and the team. As you so kindly pointed out we do take great pride in our work and the staff all appreciated your praise. It’s always worth contacting us direct to see if we have any offers on for longer staying mid-week guests and I am so pleased your wife persuaded you to take advantage of this offer.
I love baking the cakes each day for our guests and it brought a smile to my face being referred to as “The Cake Elves”
I hope your wife will persuade you to break your never go twice rule so we can enjoy the pleasure of you company again.
Sue

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I am very fussy about where I stay when I'm not at home and Nanny Brow did not disappoint me and this is why:

1 : Great location - 20 mins walk or 5 mins car ride to Ambleside
2 : Fabulous views from many of the bedrooms, lounge and dining room
3 : Beautifully designed bedrooms and furnishings
4 : Homemade cake delivered to the room daily
5 : Choccie biccies delivered to the room daily
6 : Delicious breakfast served (albeit a little early!)
7 : Very friendly and helpful family - especially Mark (lovely chap) and Sue
8 : Comfy beds and beautiful, quality bed linen (would've loved a feather pillow option)
9 : Room cleaned whilst having breakfast (amazing turnaround!)
10 : Lots of useful information in folder in bedroom (we loved Matthew's Bistro - went twice!)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
NannyBrow, Owner at Nanny Brow, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Hi Liz,
Thank you for your lovely review and the praises for Mark and myself. It’s always so gratifying to hear that you found us helpful and friendly.
I liked the way you have reviewed us using 10 pointers it’s really different and eye catching.
I wish you had asked about feather pillows as we have then in the airing cupboard and would have been more than happy to swop them over for you, please ask next time you stay.
As you said Matthews Bistro is a great place to eat and I will let them know how much you enjoyed your meals there.
All the best
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have just stayed one night but we loved it. The room had a stunning view, the breakfast was excellent. In fact, it was the best brekfast on our trip. And we stayed in about 8 (!) B&Bs and boutique hotels during our stay in the UK...
Fresh fruits, homemade scones, delicious bread, fruity jams and all ingredients for the breakfast were from local producers.
We also liked the relaxed atmoshpere and the two cute dogs which were strolling around.

NannyBrow, Owner at Nanny Brow, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank you for your delicious review. We pride ourselves on serving the best ingredients Cumbria can provide and it’s so gratifying to hear you appreciated our breakfasts, especially when you only stayed 1 night. We try and provide lots of choice for all pallets and dietary requirements and the home made drop scones with maple syrup and blueberries are always a favourite.
Myffy and Josh are pleased you liked them and enjoyed playing ball with you while you sat enjoying the evening sun and the stunning views from the lawn at the front of the house.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Had a great 2 night stay in July, the room was lovely, breakfasts great and views incredible. One of the team recommended a brilliant walk over to Grasmere and a lovely pub in Hawkshead. My only slight criticism was that its a 20min walk from Ambleside but other than that it exceeded all of our expectations.

NannyBrow, Owner at Nanny Brow, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to place a review on trip advisor. We are always pleased to have feedback from our guests. It was lovely to read that we had exceeded your expectations and that you had enjoyed the walk from the back of us over to Grasmere We are so luck to have private acess onto the National trust land. I am also pleased to hear that our recommendations on places to eat were a success.
Nanny Brow sits majestically on its own crag and consequently the views are as you so rightly said are incredible with uninterrupted views down the valley creating a place of tranquillity.
It also means we are away from the hustle, bustle and noise of Ambleside but within a 5 minutes’ drive or a 20 minute walk for evening meals, shopping trips and sight seeing.

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I did all the homework for our little mini break and was still very happily surprised when we arrived at Nanny Brow. How Sue arranged the most brilliant weather is beyond us.
Then the views, simply breathtaking, I sat outside for at least a couple of hours upon arrival simply gazing at honestly some of the most spectacular sights I have ever seen.
Why we would return -
1. The rooms, extremely comfortable bed, linen and pillows. The en suite bathroom was very large, heated towel racks and luxurious towels with complementary soaps, lotions and shampoos. Each afternoon we returned to home made cakes with aa selection of teas; to sit outside and enjoy was lovely.
2. The hospitality of Sue and Mark - we were made to feel a part of the Nanny Brow Family rather than guests. Sue was happy to chat about her garden and give advice about walks. The breakfasts each morning were a treat to look forward to. These were cooked on demand with an excellent choice. Mark has a lovely manner, very accommodating and obliging and is very good at taking your order, and advising of the wait (when my husband ordered home made croissants).
3. The location with its spectacular views, glorious gardens and a comfortable walk into town with easy access to neighbouring villages.
4. The policy of no young children was appreciated. I love my 3 children dearly but appreciated enjoying the serenity that often accompanies older guests.
I have no hesitation in recommending Nanny Brow and look forward to a return, perhaps in another season to further enjoy the gardens and beyond.

Room Tip: My tip is to make a booking and enjoy!
NannyBrow, Owner at Nanny Brow, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Jenny,
Thank you for your lovely review, can I let you into a little secret re the weather? It wasn’t me it was just good fortune on your side.
Well where do I start you have been so eloquent and tremendously kind in what you have said about us all here, we all really appreciate your kind words and the time taken to write the review. For me your 2nd point about feeling part of The Nanny Brow Family rather than guests was a beautiful compliment and it’s what we try to achieve “you arrive as guests and leave as friends”. The 4th point on no children was also much appreciated and summed up why we have a no children under the age of 12 policy.
The Nanny Brow Cakes are getting really famous and I continue to enjoy baking them for our guests. Pete was delighted that you enjoyed his gardens; he has a 10 year plan as to how he wants the grounds to develop. The different seasons here are majestic and the gardens reflect this in their colours and splendours.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Belper, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Booked for a long weekend in the middle of building work at home. Accidentally entered wrong e-mail address but they still managed to sort out our booking.

Hotel itself is excellent with everything perfect for a relaxing stay. Set in fabulous grounds with two friendly border collies providing entertainment.

Room was clean and tidy and everything we needed was provided. Food was good with a jug of milk and jars of jam rather than wasteful sachets.

If I have one criticism it's for myself for only booking a short stay.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
NannyBrow, Manager at Nanny Brow, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Mick,

Thank you for your lovely review and I am pleased we sorted the booking even though you set us a challenge.
Myffy and our puppy Josh love entertaining our guests and in spite of Josh only been 7 months old he is already getting quite a fan club.
I am pleased you like our jars of homemade jams instead of sachets and we are always happy to give guest a jug of fresh milk for their cup of tea.
Please don’t be too harsh on yourself for your “one criticism” of not booking for long enough as you are welcome to come back as soon as you have time or you are fed up with the building work at your house again.

Cambridge
Reviewed 29 July 2014

You read all the reviews before you book, You see all the photos on the web site, but when you arrive and the reality hits you the views from the Hotel room are to die for I just couldn't keep my eyes off it them whilst sitting in the comfortable chair eating the fresh cake we found awaiting us in the room (cake of differing types are left in in your room every day wow)! Cleanliness and freshness everywhere. The Staff and the owners Sue and Peter cannot do enough for you making you feel part of the Nanny Brow family.
Breakfast is cooked to your order presentation of the food is excellent the menu caters for all tastes and any of your personal foibles with food will be catered for. Mark (front of house) whilst taking your breakfast order makes you feel as the most important person in the dining room no matter how busy the dining room is.
When I return to the Lake District Nanny Brow and Ambleside with its many restaurants and amenities is where I will head for.

NannyBrow, Owner at Nanny Brow, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Ian & Margo,
Thank you for your lovely review we are so pleased that the reality of Nanny Brow far exceeded your expectations. The breath taking views from the bedroom windows that face down the valley or the semi-circular lawn at the front of the house as you said are to die for and in our opinion are some of the best in The Lakes.
I love baking the cakes for our guests to come back home to each day, especially the challenge of baking a different cake each day when we have longer staying guests like your selves. It’s so rewarding finding the empty plates in the morning and hearing how much you enjoyed them. I was especially delighted when Margo told me she never ate short bread and then she tasted mine and finished it off.
Mark will be delighted to read the comments about him, he is a wiz in the dining room and makes looking after everyone look so easy. We are a small team here at Nanny Brow and we all care passionately about what we do and work hard to ensure our guests have a wonderful stay. We all thank you for your kind words’ and look forward to seeing you both soon.

Sue
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ambleside
The Regent Hotel
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
#3 of 20 in Windermere
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,317 reviews

Been to Nanny Brow? Share your experiences!