We booked this accommodation direct with the owners and asked for a two night stay over the bank holiday weekend. A standard en-suite double room, for two nights, bed and breakfast was to cost us £170. This seemed a bit pricey but we were, after all, promised 4 star accommodation . . no such luck!
The room was very dated and in need of a 'facelift'. The en-suite was, in fact, a small cupboard. The pillows and duvet were limp, the bed uncomfortable and the carpet needed vacuuming. Nothing 4 star about it!
The breakfast was OK (but beware microwaved plates . . far too hot!)
The final blow was the confusing selection of tariffs (in the welcome folder/brochure) which we couldn't fathom at all . . but it did seem clear that we could have had 3 nights, over a bank holiday weekend, for £170 (this was what we had paid for two nights)
When we checked out I mentioned this to the owner. Surely this should have been offered to us, as an option, when we booked on the phone? Sadly it wasn't and we were effectively overcharged for our stay! The owner just shrugged and suggested we stay another night if we wanted! No thanks . . we would have preferred value for money!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rothay Garth offers you a blend of understated elegance and warm friendly family service. Set in beautiful gardens within Ambleside, we benefit from a large private on-site car park and superb mountain views. Enjoy our Lakeland breakfast in the Loughrigg breakfast room before heading out, and after a day's exploring relax and unwind with a glass of wine from the bar service in the comfort of our residents lounge - we look forward to hearing from you!! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Rothay Garth reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rothay Garth Hotel Ambleside
- Rothay Garth Ambleside, Lake District