“Ambles - should be renamed "Brambles" because of the prickly staff!”
Review of Ambles Brasserie - CLOSED

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Ate here some years ago and remembered having nice plain food although did think there was an unwelcoming feel. Went in on this visit to Ambleside with my 3 year old son to book a table for early evening. The restaurant was empty and I was approached in a slightly unfriendly manner. On making my request I was told that they did not cater for children. Thinking this referred to the food I asked if there was anything suitable for children on the menu. I was then told that they had to order an adult meal. Realising they actually did not want children I asked for clarification on this. I was sharply told they had to be well behaved and that the previous night they had a badly behaved child and "oh tut tut!" Bearing in mind this is NOT the RITZ but a little back street cafe I left and we ate next door at an Italian restaurant where we were very much welcomed and had fabulous food. I am sure the Ritz would welcome families - I am still laughing!!!

1  Thank Campbells70

Reviewed 29 July 2011

if you want a meal in a hurry, we found the service very quick and the food was good value we had the three courses for 14.00

Reviewed 4 June 2011

We went to Ambles twice in four nights and were very happy with the food we had.
A little dated in presentation perhaps with doilies and iceberg salad on hot food but all in all good reliable home cooked food. Ideal when one has been walking the fells all day.

Reviewed 22 April 2011

We ate here on two occasions (11th & 14th) and have to say that the food was delicious both nights, I would like to agree with the other comment about iceberg lettuce salad... it's a little uninspiring and probably not necessary with a main course.
The menu is dated, the music even older. However, my steak and my friends chicken and lamb were cooked to perfection, and a total change to have steamed veg rather than being offered various deep fried options.
The atmosphere was lacking a little, probably due to the terrible choice of music they play and empty chairs. The staff on our first visit were very friendly and worked hard to make sure we enjoyed ourselves, making recommendations about the food and wine, but on the second night they seemed more put out we were there!
We felt a little rushed to pay and leave after our final plates were cleared and we could hear someone having a moan in the kitchen. I'm assuming it was the same older lady that scowled us out on the first night when the waiting staff were passing pleasantries with us.
Ambles is not somewhere to go for a leisurely meal out, but most certainly is somewhere for good hearty delicious food and some friendly staff and not have to remortgage the house to pay for it, like many Lake District restaurants!!

Reviewed 26 March 2011

Dined here on Thursday 24th March after a long day's fall walking the Fairfield Horseshoe.
Although there was only 1 other person dining (it was early at 7pm) I sat at the other side of the restaurant. The 3-course menu at £16.95 was good value for money and I started with Chicken Liver Pate which was tasty but I think using Iceberg lettuce as ANY form of garnish should be banned by law as it is tasteless. There was also peppers, onion, cucumber, tomato and cress (again a little outdated for my tastes) the single slice of toast had been cut into 'soldiers' but I would have thought triangles would have been less child-like.

For main I had a rump steak, medium rare which was a decent sized steak and was cooked as requested. My fault, but I should have requested 'No salad garnish' as the iceberg et al reappeared... The steamed potatoes, broccoli, carrots and green beans were hot and fresh if a tad overcooked. I was offered mustard and opted for wholegrain but wished I had asked for the garlic butter with the steak to be omitted as it was unecessary.

Desert was Sticky toffee pudding with toffee sauce, fresh cream and ice cream. It was tasty but presentation on a highly decorated side plate did little for the eye. I do think good food should be served on plain white china (or a simple silver band) rather than fussy crockery.

In all, I think the restaurant has potential and I visited on a quite night - but the food was acceptable and was good value for money.

1  Thank MAJames