“May Folk Festival 2012”

and 1 more site!
The Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Another great folk festival at the ODG. The complaints about the decor and sticky tables, what a joke... This pub is unique and 'modernising' it could ruin an institution. Sure the bar staff can be a bit short but considering that there is normally a queue to the door that is no suprise.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank John C
There are newer reviews for The Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel

Reviewed 23 May 2012

I booked the last room available (number 12) for Saturday night as I had family staying at the Great Langdale campsite. Place was lovely - didn't get charged single supplement, so £58 plus £5 for the dog. Very welcoming in hotel - the waitress kindly let us eat breakfast outside on Sunday - campers of the family had joined us & we had dogs with us. We popped in to the pub adjoining - it is very much a walkers bar & very dog friendly - they brought round sausages & bacon for ths dogs but politely asked first if we minded. The barman I believe is being mentioned in a few previous reviews is set in his ways I think - not rude as such, just to the point. I expect he's put up with a lot over the years - he didn't cause us any offence but I could see how others may take it. Overall a lovely stay - perfect weather & Great Langdale campsite is also worth a stay. A mooch around Ambleside on Sunday whilst the experienced climbed Scafell Pike - perfect!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Ruth F
Reviewed 10 May 2012

The hotel has a bar attached which is frequented by walkers. The premises are located in Old Dungeon, Ghyll not far from Ableside, and gives immediate access for walking a number of Wainwrights in the Lake District. The beer is actually pretty good.

Those are the good points.

Downsides:
Rude, unhelpful staff
The bar is out of date, with sticky tables (there is an old plaque informing of the pub winning a pub of the year award......more than 20 years previously) - perhaps it has rested on its laurels, taking advantage of the near monopolistic position it benefits from.
When I ordered a pint of milk (great reviver after a hard nine hours on the hills), the barman did get it for me but then was critical that I was stupid to order milk, as it made the staff's task of cleaning the beer glass difficult (eh?). We tried to order food at 30 seconds past 2100 hrs but were then told that it was too late, last food orders were at 2100 hrs, but if I hadn't ordered the milk, I could have ordered food. We were offered soup and chips (which weren't that bad really but not what we would have wished for). OK, so technically the barman was within his rights to refuse to order food, as we were trying to order 30 seconds after the cut-off point, but did he have to take obvious pleasure in denying us food service from the menu?

By the way, the rude barman (who was busy), has been there for 20 years.

Then there is the hotel. Pre-paid for a double room. Bathrooms are exclusive to the bedrooms but located down a corridor from the bedroom. Room was actually warm and dry, and not too bad, however............having made enquiries at Reception I was informed that while they usually lock the front door at 0030, they would make sure it was kept unlocked for me as I was planning the following day's route with friends at a nearby bunkhouse. I had reservations about the staff, and made a point of being back at the hotel for 0025 to find the front door locked and no way to raise anyone to let me in. It was raining hard and all my gear was in my room, fortunately I managed to find an alternative bed for the night, but could easily have had a very nasty experience on a cold, wet night in a place in the moddle of nowhere (there was no mobile signal around that area).

Next morning I demanded I speak to the owner, who apologised and gave a full refund.

I would not go back there again and would recommend that others research alternatives perhaps in New Dungeon Ghyll, or Ambelside.

Room Tip: Don't bother.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank StuartCheshire
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Our short stay at the Old Dungeon Ghyll was perfect - and we also had great weather! The staff are most friendly, cheerful and helpful and the food in the restaurant gave a good choice of tasty and imaginative dishes, with fresh vegetables and very appealing desserts. Bar meals are available in the adjacent pub. The full breakfast well supported a day of activity and the hotel gives direct access to some of the most enjoyable walking, available to all levels of fitness and age by choosing the correct route. The hotel is a great place to relax after a day in the hills, either outside looking over the fells or in front of a blazing log fire in the comfortable lounge.

Room Tip: If room 8 is available you get two armchairs in the bay window with the most glorious views in three...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FMGC
Reviewed 2 May 2012

A visit to the Hiker's Bar at the Old Dungeon Ghyll hotel is always worthwhile.

During summer months and any busy weekends, there is often not enough space inside, and the trees and beautiful climbing plants that surround the tables outside do tend to attract midges, so it's often a choice between cramming in inside and taking your chances against the flying beasties outside, but that never seems to spoil the mood.

The beer is always good and there's always real ale on, from the Lake District and often from Yorkshire.

The atmosphere ranges from quiet and peaceful on a quiet afternoon or evening, to busy and bustling on a busy evening. Be prepared for a bit of a queue at the bar during these times. It's an excellent place to sit and relax after a day out, and is in easy walking distance from the National Trust campsite a little way down the valley, though it's worth having a head torch or at least something reflective for the walk back, which is along the road.

I enjoy sitting with a pint and listening to people tell their tales of adventure from the hills.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank HBunyan
Reviewed 29 April 2012

What a great place. Excellent service and friendly staff, delicious food in the walker's bar and some of the best walking in the Lake District on the doorstep. Brilliant hotel and I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Tinks20
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I haven't stayed in the Hotel but every visit to the Langdales whether camping, caravan or a day visit always includes a pint or two in the pub after a good walk. There is a large choice of real ales and beers. We have eaten there and enjoyed the meals. If the weather is fine the seating outside is nice with a good view of the mountains, in not inside is welcoming even if got muddy boots and usually a fine fire roaring. The staff are very friendly. The local bus stops outside before turning to return to Ambleside.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family