“Poor quality bar meals”

Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Poor quality bar meals”
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Fabulous location...fabulous beers but poor bar meals.

I had the lamb henry which was around £12 and came with a minute portion of what like 60's frozen cubes of mxed veg....very poor
I do not think anyone minds the scruffy surroundings if it was good value.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jjb00

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Linz, Austria
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Friendly and communicative (which is not obligatory in England) staff, good services, nice breakfast, selection from a lot of beers on bar, and mainly excellent location in heart of Great Langdale. Perfect initial point for a lot of trips. The only con was size of our room. I am only 1.85 m, but I could not turn around, or change clothes in the bathroom. This was really extreme. No space to anything. But most of another things were on very high level.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank JardaZ
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2012

We ate here every other night over a two week camping stay in Great Langdale. I sampled every veggie option going with a decent house red whilst my teenage sons enjoyed the fish, scampi & sausage-type options plus coke and the other half went for pies, lamb henry & other meaty options plus a fine selection of ales including old peculiar. We all loved the food, (especially the sticky toffee puddings,) although the inclusion of frozen mixed veg with otherwise great cooking was odd. The weather was wet but we were able to eat under umbrellas outside in the lovely front courtyard and play cards in between courses. The staff were friendly and helpful. We also ate once in the hotel dining room where again the food was excellent and service friendly, but we were the only diners, so missed the atmosphere outside.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank balhamhermit
Reviewed 8 September 2012

Last minute change of plan meant My brother and I were looking for somewhere to stay at 1030 at night last week.

We called in at the ODG if they had rooms. Yes they did. But unfortunately no twin rooms. As we didn't really have many options at they time of day we said we would take a double room. "that's not possible" we were told. "Why not?" we asked.... after much umming and ahing on the behalf of our host I offered to my brother "I think he means 'no gays'". "that's illegal!" said my brother. "no it's not" said our host.

He did however offer us a family room "at extra cost". Honestly, we did not feel like we had any option but to take the room as we had very limited options.

In the morning the lady that we checked out with (a different person to the night before) was very friendly, only charged us the usual rate anyway, and let me use her telephone. I did not mention what had happened the previous night.

However, on reflection I thought it necessary to highlight the discriminatory policy we saw in action that night. It simply was not right and I think people should be aware of my experience.

Nick Murphy

• Stayed August 2012
12 Thank Nsmurphy
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Fantastic room (#9), really surpassed expectations for the price range! Breakfast was good, veggie options were available. Take-away packed lunch available. Fantastic ales, great pies. Perhaps could do with non-pasta veggie option like a potato pie or veggie pie (like mushroom leek). Lots of walking and climbing near the hotel. I would say this is an ideal 2 night stop in the Lakes to explore a less populated area but still have a nice warm place to come home to. If you're self-planning the Cumbria way walk, this is a fantastic hotel option between Coniston and Keswick or Coniston and Borrowdale. Offers everything for tired and hungry walkers! The website has photos of each room and a description. The views from the rooms are beautiful.

Room Tip: The website has beautiful photos and descriptions of each room's facilities and view. We loved N...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank pinkissima
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Can't vouch for the hotel rooms as stayed and have always stayed on the campsite when visiting Langdale valley, but visited (after 20 years) Great Langdale and vouched to visit both the walkers bar at the ODG and feeling lazy also take the option of the full English breakfast in the morning which having pre-booked the night before was a very reasonable 8.00GBP with unlimited coffee and juice. I may be biased towards this place as it was the welcome home after many a day spent on the hills during my hills, but this place (bar and hotel restaurant) remain unique, and looking forward to future visits. Note Breakfast starts at 8am!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Detken
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We stopped off for lunch on a nice day so decided to sit outside. I went in to order. I have to say that there is a difference between distressed and scruffy. This place looks scruffy. Overdue a coat of paint. The menu was uninspiring but I ordered a Plowman's. What I got was two slices of bread, Brie, Stilton and a lot of vaguely salady things. How dissappointing. A plowman's in my book is good bread and a generous piece of Cheddar with pickle on the side.
Brie and Branston do not go together.
When I drew attention to this it was treated with indifference.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple