The Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
Oak Bank Hotel(Grasmere)
View Hotel
All reviewshikers barresidents loungegreat langdalehungry walkerslangdale valleynational trust car parkgreat beerlamb henrybar mealsthe pubwalking basewholesome foodprivate bathroomscafell pikegood sized portionsfish and chipspie
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Booked at short notice as a single and was given a double room with no supplement. The room had a large private bathroom close by, and although there is the inconvenience of having to leave the room to use the facilities, I actually found this arrangement preferable to a cramped en-suite and a robe and slippers are provided. The room is also furnished with a hand basin. There is more than adequate hanging and drawer space. Both room and bathroom were spotlessly clean.
The breakfasts are substantial with home-made bread and preserves. I ate in the bar the first night and the food could be described as plain and ample. The second night I tried the restaurant and was most impressed by the food. The three-course meal plus coffee for £20 I considered to be of a very good standard and value for money. The service was informal but polite and all staff were very friendly.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Took the Mrs for a quite break after Christmas, the welcome was great, brilliant access to the Mountains, great facilities for Climbers (Drying room and dryers), the food was plentiful and very nice, and a good bar with a real fire and great ales..well recommended.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lee S
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Had a fantastic break at this lovely Lakeland hotel. A power cut on the first morning meant we woke up to the hotel lit by candles (lovely for us as we were on honeymoon and it added to the charm of the place) and had breakfast by candlelight, served by waiting staff wearing head torches. The breakfasts were fantastic, the rooms warm and cosy and the hikers bar a welcome refuge after a day on the hills. We could not fault our stay here and can not wait to return.

Room Tip: Room 9 is a lovely room with a view of the fells and a modern ensuite
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Before reading, this is solely a review of the famous Hikers Bar, as we were camping near by so cannot comment on the quality of the accommodation.

Was in Langdale for a walking weekend with a friend and staying at the National Trust campsite 2 well known pubs are very close so first night visited the New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel and enjoyed a fantastic night of live music, friendly staff and good beer.

The 2nd night we decided to visit the Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotels famous Hikers bar, with me raving to my friend how good it was and how well regarded among the walking community it was. My experience on previous visits (over 5 years ago) were more than pleasant, but I could not have been more than disappointed this time around!

Upon entering firstly we were met with what can only be described as a dead atmosphere, very few people and a cold feeling. Not thinking too much of it we decided to order some food and a couple of beers but were greeted by what can only be described by one of the rudest and insulting bar staff I have ever met.

Upon approaching the bar the aforementioned bar man was having a casual chat with whom one presumes was the chef. It was not a conversation about meals or anything to do with the guests, just a casual chat about whatever they happened to be discussing and laughing about.

Now having worked in a pub you do have chats with other members of staff, but if a guest walks in the conversation would very quickly be put on hold, but oh no as this went on for at least at least 3 or 4 minutes, which in that time my friend and I were just met with what felt like occasional piercing glances as if to intimate we were disturbing their private conversation and should come back another time. When we were finally served, we were met by the brisk and rude mannered bar man who then found it quite funny to respond insultingly to my tired question of a table for two, and managed to fail on even the basics of conversational engagement.

Alas, on placing our drink and food order (relatively poor selection) to which I was abruptly advised 'I suppose you'll want chips with that' like some kind of inconvenience, We paid already knowing we'd leave straight after dinner to then find out their were no spare tables, but were very kindly rescued by a friendly couple who suggested we join them as they would be leaving soon.

The food was relatively quick in coming which is helpful after a long day in the mountains, but was very unceremoniously dumped on the table and once again with very little attempt at conversation made. I will give the ODG credit for the food, reasonably good portions and tasty meals, but unfortunately on this occasion my visit had already been tainted.

We very quickly scoffed our meals (game casserole and chilli con carni), finished our beers ad left knowing full well where we were heading the Old Dungeon Ghyll. Upon arrival we were met (the comparison couldn't have been more different) by the two on duty staff chatting outside, which when they saw us approaching very quickly ended their conversation to head inside and await our arrival at the bar where we were met with shock horror warm, welcoming and engaging conversation. Pints were ordered and we took our seats in the relatively empty bar (it was a Sunday night and had been packed on the Saturday) with less patrons (I was shocked) than the ODG, but somehow looking much more content, which somehow I was certainly not surprised!

The ODG is a famous lake district hotel and bar with an incredible reputation, but on this visit I was more than disappointed.

As I said at the beginning it wasn't bad, tasty food and drink, warm fire, inspiring pictures on the walls, but for such poor service and rude bar staff it ruined a visit I was more than looking forward too. Luckily thanks to the NDG that was very quickly remedied and a mistake I won't be making again as on my next stay at the National trusts Great Langdale campsite I shall turn right out of the drive way for a good after walk pint, friendly staff and an unforgettable atmosphere!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank OldeManGrover
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We were a walking party of six that booked into the ODG. Our previous experience of the ODG had been in the Walkers' Bar which is noisy, sometimes unpleasant and does not trust its customers with glass! As a resident the experience is totally different. The welcoming lady on reception (Sue?) helped with a host of minor external issues we faced on arrival. The wonderful Eva, our server in the restaurant, made a good meal even better and the residents' lounge must be one of the best places to meet fellow walkers in the whole of the Lakes. Just one thing stops me giving 5 stars to the ODG. I'm afraid the bar service in the residents' bar was poor and was made to seem poorer still by a barman who insisted on reminding anyone who wanted a drink that he had a queue of people waiting in the Walkers' Bar. That's not his fault and, maybe, the management need to think about increasing staffing, but he could have handled the situation without being so short with a group of people who were spending a lot more than the smaller number of folk in the other bar.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends